Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

Re: Everything On My Nook Is Upside Down!

Read a funny return request at work today.

"I am requesting a refund of this CD.  It won't work in my car stereo or in my stereo at home.  Please refund me asap."

The product the customer was returning was a dvd.:smileysad:

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Frequent Contributor
marann246
0 Kudos

COuld it be your orientation?  Go into settings and pick orientation.  Maybe that is the problem.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Yeah!  :smileyvery-happy:  Check the orientation of your NOOK.  :smileyvery-happy:  That's probably the problem. :smileyvery-happy:

(Sorry . . . So sorry . . . So very sorry . . . but so funny! :smileyvery-happy:)

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

Ohhhhh.... The orientation setting... Why didn't I think of that?  <duh>

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Theriot_Publishing wrote:

Read a funny return request at work today.

"I am requesting a refund of this CD.  It won't work in my car stereo or in my stereo at home.  Please refund me asap."

The product the customer was returning was a dvd.:smileysad:

This is so weird. 

That is similar to an experience I had.  I make and sell a CD/DVD lesson-the CD contains a Powerpoint Presentation that is self-running and of course video on the DVD.  One purchaser of this demanded her money back because she couldn't get both to play in her DVD player connected to the TV.  She even threatened me, after I told her I would give her her money back as soon as it was returned.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Scribe
frantastk

SkinnyDennis wrote:

And I hate that printers no longer have text on the controls. You need an app running on your computer to tell you what the problem is, and what to push to fix it. I think the reason for this is they don't have to make multiple models to cover the different languages of the international customers. Still, I'm better with words than icons. :robotsad:

My kids attend a public cyber charter school. They lend us all the equipment (computer, webcam, head phones, printer with scanner). All their assignments get scanned and emailed to the teachers. I think, cool easy, I can work a scanner. Umm, maybe not. I put the document in the scanner, push the scan button, and the little screen on the front tells me to push the start button to scan the document. Uh, problem, there is no button that says start. There's a scan button, a copy button, a left arrow button, right arrow button, button with a check mark on it that I figure means okay, a button with a start that says color, and a button with a star that says black and white. Why is there no start button, it tells me to push the start button?

I dig out the manual and it takes me forever to find the page that explains the buttons. The page that tells you how to scan does not tell me which button is the start button, just tells me to push it.  Finally find it. Apparently, the two buttons with the stars (one says color and one says black and white) are both start buttons and I can use either one for scanning.

I want to know who the hell thought of that? And would it have killed them to mark one start?

Fran

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

Fran, is that an HP scanner? Sounds like the one at work.

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I believe it is a Lexmark. Oh, don't tell me, a star is now the universal symbol for start. :smileyvery-happy: It's not a great printer, but it's public school, we get what we can get.

Generally, I would use our Epson that I love, but we ran out of ink and it's really expensive ink, and I can't get it to do anything other than tell me it's out of ink. I wish it would work with just black, but it won't work at all when even one ink cartridge is empty.

Reminding myself I need new ink for the school printer. I hope it's cheaper.

Fran

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

SkinnyDennis wrote:
Apparently, the two buttons with the stars (one says color and one says black and white) are both start buttons and I can use either one for scanning.

I want to know who the hell thought of that? And would it have killed them to mark one start?

Fran

The file size of a B\W image is considerably smaller than the file size of a color image. The amount of ink used printing is also considerably more and more expensive for a Color image. I guess I would have thought that one up if I was designing printers. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

I'm buying off brand ink for my Epson 11x17 printer at the a*azon dot com place for less than $30. If I replaced all those cartridges with Epson, it'd be close to a hundred bucks! Heck I can't tell the difference in the print, but my wallet is sure fatter!

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SkinnyDennis wrote:

I'm buying off brand ink for my Epson 11x17 printer at the a*azon dot com place for less than $30. If I replaced all those cartridges with Epson, it'd be close to a hundred bucks! Heck I can't tell the difference in the print, but my wallet is sure fatter!

Epsons are notorious for expensive ink, and I don't know if this is the case or not, but the Epson ink is said to be oil based, not necessarily true with the "compatible" inks.  I believe they tend to be water based.  I do know that the Epson ink I have does not run if it gets wet.  The HP compatible ink I had on my old HP printer would.  And on another Epson I had, I bought ink off of eBay that was supposed to be genuine Epson ink and it would run like crazy.  I'm sure it was fake. 

Epson claims that such ink can damage the printer and well soon after using this ebay ink the printer started streaking and blobs of ink would end up on whatever I printed, no matter how many times I tried to clean the print heads.  I don't know if I fully believe Epson, but I'm inclined to believe you do have to be careful with the ink you get for them.  I've seen the refillable cartridge things, too, but I don't know about them.  I'd like to keep this printer for awhile.

For the printers I have (the Epson ones), it's necessary to have ink that won't run because I use it to print on disks.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

I have an inexpensive Epson all-in one (NX400) and I always use genuine Epson ink.  I've had HP printers in the past and the refilled or off-brand ink cartridges never worked right for me.  The good thing is that Epson always has free overnight shipping offers and sometimes has discounts on their ink as well.  I'm fine with it.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

Epsons are notorious for expensive ink, and I don't know if this is the case or not, but the Epson ink is said to be oil based, not necessarily true with the "compatible" inks.  I believe they tend to be water based.  I do know that the Epson ink I have does not run if it gets wet.  The HP compatible ink I had on my old HP printer would.  And on another Epson I had, I bought ink off of eBay that was supposed to be genuine Epson ink and it would run like crazy.  I'm sure it was fake. 

Epson claims that such ink can damage the printer and well soon after using this ebay ink the printer started streaking and blobs of ink would end up on whatever I printed, no matter how many times I tried to clean the print heads.  I don't know if I fully believe Epson, but I'm inclined to believe you do have to be careful with the ink you get for them.  I've seen the refillable cartridge things, too, but I don't know about them.  I'd like to keep this printer for awhile.

For the printers I have (the Epson ones), it's necessary to have ink that won't run because I use it to print on disks.

You have to be careful with the off brand ink, at least for Epson. That's what we used for our last Epson. We killed it. It clumped up and it got to a point after several months that even cleaning the print heads didn't work at all. Even with plenty of ink it would print everything really faint and streaky. We didn't realize it might have been the ink doing it at the time. My dad is a printer technician and gave us the ink, so we try to use only the real thing even though it's expensive. Yeah, my dad said it was a lost cause at that point and bought us the new improved Epson that year for Christmas. Usually, our ink lasts awhile, but I printed our Christmas pictures and used up a lot. 

Fran

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

Been doing the non-brand Epson inks for over a year, no problems, but I use it a lot so maybe that makes a difference. It may run when smudged with a damp finger when it's pretty fresh, but after a bit it seems to hold up well. I'm not doing any kind of archival or presentation printing, so I'll keep using it,

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing
0 Kudos

I have a kodak printer and their ink seems cheaper.  But I still use generic ink from the evil empire a*azon as well.

No problems thus far.  But, their ink is also tailored to be used with their paper for 'best results, which is meant to get you to buy their ink AND paper.'.  I simply can't tell the difference though, so I'm happy going cheap.  I think it's still cheaper to use generic ink and buy a new printer if it goes bad than buying the full price ink.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!