Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
eBookFlip
0 Kudos

Exchange your NOOK books easy with eBookFlip

We are pleased to announce eBookFlip, an amazing new service for sharing your NOOK books.

eBookFlip is an online book club for connecting NOOK readers who want to exchange their  lendable NOOK books. You can ask for a book from anyone in the community and also get a book from anyone who is a member of the eBookFlip.

As much as you give, you will be able to request from other people. Points system works as a virtual currency. Basically, (more or less) for every given book you can get one book for free.

There is absolutely no cost to join and start exchanging books. So don't wait, JOIN US and share your great collection of books.

Best regards,
eBookFlip Team
www.ebookflip.com

This service is not supported, ran or sponsored by Barnes & Noble

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Re: Exchange your NOOK books easy with eBookFlip

When members add books to the catalog, is there any sort of check to make sure that the book really is lendable?

New User
eBookFlip
0 Kudos

The problem is that LendMe status changes over time, so basically that type of check would not be helpful at the point where user inserts the book. Continuously checking all the catalogs would not be really possible.

Instead, users need to be sure that the book is lendable before accepting the request and sending the offer.

Hope that answers your question.

Inspired Contributor
ajrosen

And we get another example of exactly why the publishers will never expand the lending rights on eBooks, and probably why many books are having their lending rights removed.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

If a publisher is willing to allow a book to be lent, why should they really care whether the lend is made to a friend or a stranger though?

Part of the reason for making a book lendable is to get it into another reader's hands, with the hope that the reader will find it interesting and want to BUY other books by the author. Another hope, I suspect, is that with the limited time frame to read it, many won't finish timely and will then buy in order to do that.

I don't think it really makes a difference whether a lend goes to a friend or a stranger from either of these standpoints.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Oh, to me what is more disturbing is the similarity between eBookFlip's name and a previously announced site that is called eBookFling.

Seems like this new site is trying to do a bit of coat tail riding.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

graycyn wrote:

If a publisher is willing to allow a book to be lent, why should they really care whether the lend is made to a friend or a stranger though?

I agree.  And I'm sure they considered this when they set the one-time limit.  I'm probably never going to use the lend me feature otherwise, so I am thinking about doing something like this.  There are a few books on this site that I'd like to read.

Inspired Contributor
ajrosen
0 Kudos

graycyn wrote:

That's fine - they give you a feature, use it however you want to. But don't go asking why we're limited to just 1 lend per book. These sites answer the question for you.

Frequent Contributor
MichaelWallace23

As a writer, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm always happy when my books find new readers, and you don't hear writers grumbling about libraries, or kids swapping books a zillion times at school. There is something a little different, however, about moving around a physical copy than putting it up on an electronic board. If lending were unlimited, and millions of people used services like this, there would come a point when every book would have sold a certain number of copies and then sales would just stop. Anyone could get it for free from a lending service. There becomes a fine line between lending and piracy.

This is one reason I price my books low. Why steal a book when you can buy it for $1-3?

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

ajrosen wrote:

And we get another example of exactly why the publishers will never expand the lending rights on eBooks, and probably why many books are having their lending rights removed.

So what? If I can't lend the book to who I want, they can keep it. I'm all for this.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

MichaelWallace23 wrote:

As a writer, I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I'm always happy when my books find new readers, and you don't hear writers grumbling about libraries, or kids swapping books a zillion times at school. There is something a little different, however, about moving around a physical copy than putting it up on an electronic board. If lending were unlimited, and millions of people used services like this, there would come a point when every book would have sold a certain number of copies and then sales would just stop. Anyone could get it for free from a lending service. There becomes a fine line between lending and piracy.

This is one reason I price my books low. Why steal a book when you can buy it for $1-3?

People don't buy books so that they can read them. They buy them so that they can own them, or for convenience. Between the library, used book stores, and PaperbackSwap.com, there's virtually no book anyone wants to read that they have to pay retail to get. A service like this will not change much for people who buy new books most often.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

MWorrell wrote:

MichaelWallace23 wrote:

People don't buy books so that they can read them. They buy them so that they can own them, or for convenience. Between the library, used book stores, and PaperbackSwap.com, there's virtually no book anyone wants to read that they have to pay retail to get. A service like this will not change much for people who buy new books most often.

They don't buy books to read them? Do you listen yourself as you type?  Why buy a book if you're not intending to read it? 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Correspondent
Mupples
0 Kudos

If they are allowing it to be lent, I don't see the big deal. It's doing what it's allowed to do. I signed up to the site and I've already exchanged with someone- it's actually pretty neat if not a little disorganized.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

They don't buy books to read them? Do you listen yourself as you type?  Why buy a book if you're not intending to read it? 

I could have been clearer. I did not mean to suggest that people buy books with no intention of reading them.

All I was saying is that currently, no one must purchase a book at retail price in order to read it. Those who DO pay retail for new book do so because that's what they prefer to do. They may want to own the book, or they may just want it right now, but they don't care about saving a buck. This service will not change the buying habits of those people.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

MWorrell wrote:

MichaelWallace23 wrote:

The point I got from MWorrel's post is this:

If people simply want to read a book they can borrow it from the library, get it for free through a swap site, or otherwise read it without needing to purchase it.

People usually buy books because they want to own them.  I know that's exactly why I buy books and usually don't bother with the library.  I want to keep the books I read--all of them--and not give them back.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Mupples wrote:

If they are allowing it to be lent, I don't see the big deal. It's doing what it's allowed to do. I signed up to the site and I've already exchanged with someone- it's actually pretty neat if not a little disorganized.

I think the big deal is that people are constantly complaining that they can only lend a book once.  Not once to each person, but one time only.  As another poster pointed out, this is most likely one of the reasons the limitation was set by the publishers, if they allow unlimited lending then sites like this would pop up all over the place.  They don't want you lending books, they want you to buy the books.  So, as long as you don't complain about the one time only lending policy go for it. 

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Honestly, whether or not these sites exist, I don't think publishers are going to let us lend an ebook more than once.  Whether we lend the book to a friend or a stranger, it's still a lent book.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

After some consideration, I think I'm going to try it.  I figure I can always change my mind if I don't like the site...

Inspired Correspondent
Mupples
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Mupples wrote:

I think the big deal is that people are constantly complaining that they can only lend a book once.  Not once to each person, but one time only.  As another poster pointed out, this is most likely one of the reasons the limitation was set by the publishers, if they allow unlimited lending then sites like this would pop up all over the place.  They don't want you lending books, they want you to buy the books.  So, as long as you don't complain about the one time only lending policy go for it. 

Ahh...see I didn't know that. I thought it was a continuous thing. Hmm...Wonder how they're gonna deal with that then. I can always cancel my account if I find someone more personal to lend to.

Frequent Contributor
mrskatylady
0 Kudos

Has anyone been able to successfully use this site yet?  Someone requested an ebook from me and the link back to ebookflip doesn't provide me with their e-mail anywhere so I can't figure out how to send the book to them.  I haven't recieved an e-mail back yet.  I'm also wondering if this happened to the person who I requested a book from because I haven't recieved it yet.  Am I missing something?