Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

External speaker for Nook?

[ Edited ]

I have a Wifi + 3G and as some of you know the tiny speakers they have are wholly inadequate.

I don't like using headphones or earbuds so I'm looking for speakers I can plug into the Nook through the headphone jack.

One speaker should be sufficient as this Nook puts out mono sound only, right?

They will have to have their own power source whether it be through an AC adapter or battery. Which type of power is immaterial to me.

***Without order there is chaos.
Without some degree of chaos there will be no change in the established order.
Sometimes change is necessary, but only if I say it is.***
A3A
Inspired Scribe
A3A
0 Kudos

Re: External speaker for Nook?

iHome has portable rechargeable mini speakers that connect through a headphone jack. Model iHM79. Amazon.com might still carry them.
Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

A3A wrote:
iHome has portable rechargeable mini speakers that connect through a headphone jack. Model iHM79. Amazon.com might still carry them.

These look OK but I was hoping to find some that runn on batteries. If I don't find any, I will probably get these.

Does anyone have know of any that run on batteries?

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

Not sure if you live near any dollar tree stores, but they sometimes have mini speakers. They might work for you.
Inspired Correspondent
ynot22
0 Kudos

I have one main worry buying an external speaker.

For anybody here who has listened to the Nook speakers alone, no headphones, earbuds etc. know that the volume set at its highest level is barely audible.

So I don't know if the Nook has the power to "push" an external speaker so it's a lot louder.

Have any of you folks attached external speakers to your Nook? If so, does the Nook have the juice to power them to a decent sound level?

Distinguished Correspondent
Arestelle
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't know if speakers would make the playback louder, but I wouldn't be surprised. If you think about laptops' speakers, they're often relatively quiet, but the sound card can play much louder if you plug the laptop in to decent speakers. Could be the same with the N1E. If it can play loud through headphones (like, if you can make it loud enough that you need to turn it down so it doesn't hurt your ears), I'd expect it to play decently loud on better speakers than the tiny ones on the nook.

As far as battery powered speakers, try a place like NewEgg or J&R Computers - I saw a couple on Newegg that run ~$20 with shipping and can use batteries, though reviews weren't clear on how well they work on battery power.

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
New User
_Chas_
0 Kudos

These on Amazon are amazing! Loud with built-in rechargeable power.
iHome IHM60L 3.5mm Aux Portable Speaker