Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
CyberSammy
0 Kudos

Family's with Multiple Nooks

B&N  -

I know this isn't available as of now, but please consider it for future development. I should be able to register multiple nooks to my account. For example, there are 4 people in my family, and we like to read similar books, we shouldn't have to purchase the same book 4 times so that we can have them on all the nooks. The system should be able to be set up similar to Itunes where I can register 5 devices with my account to share my music with my family and they can do the same. This should pretty easy to implement.

Thanks

Correspondent
katworley
0 Kudos

Re: Family's with Multiple Nooks

My understanding is that you CAN register multiple nooks to a single user account. Have you tried it? 

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

CyberSammy wrote:

B&N  -

I know this isn't available as of now, but please consider it for future development. I should be able to register multiple nooks to my account. For example, there are 4 people in my family, and we like to read similar books, we shouldn't have to purchase the same book 4 times so that we can have them on all the nooks. The system should be able to be set up similar to Itunes where I can register 5 devices with my account to share my music with my family and they can do the same. This should pretty easy to implement.

Thanks

You can already do that...

Inspired Contributor
Jason_Corner
0 Kudos

You can register multiple Nooks and other devices (such as the computer eReader or Iphone app).  They will all share the same library so you only have to buy one book/magazine/newspaper and can read them on all.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

The only caveat is that all devices will also have access to the shop and whatever credit card is on the account.  Usually not a problem with immediate family members, but just so you don't discover that, say, your teenager decided to buy $2000 worth of books.

Of course, I think this problem is less prevalent in the "book-reading" arena than it probably is in the "music downloading" arena!

Contributor
CyberSammy
0 Kudos

Thanks all -

I havent had the opportunity to try this as of yet, wifes birthday is later this month. I posted this because I had talked to a B&N representative, at a local B&N who told he knew this wasnt available, I even ask about using a singe account/credit card again I was told this wasn't possible. He even assurd me he had gotten off a conference call early this weekend where these types of questions where being asked. Great so it would appear the B&N folks are not on the same page as to what their device is capable of.

I guess Ill test this out my self later this month.

Thanks All.

Frequent Contributor
ReadingBum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My brother also has a Nook.  But the thing is we don't want to be buying off the same card.  Lets say we used my card.  Well if he wanted a book and I didn't have enough money in my account, he'd have to drive all the way down to the bank to put money in.  That's pretty damn unreasonable if you ask me

So sadly even though we live in the same house, we're unable to share books like we use to do with our physical copies.  Unless of course the book has the lend me feature, sadly not all books do.  But even if they did I'm a slow reader and like to take my time with a book.  So sometimes 2 weeks isn't gonna cut it for me.

Distinguished Correspondent
mpebbs
0 Kudos

@CyberSammy my husband and I are on the same account with 2 nooks, an ipod touch, and a laptop. We get all the same books on all the devices with one purchase.                                                     

@ReadingBum Why not share an account with your brother by paying only with gift cards. You would have to have a CC attached to the account, but no ones bank balance is affected.

Contributor
CyberSammy
0 Kudos

All -

Thanks. My Faith hath been restored.

Sammy

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

@readingbum

Why not have him open a savings account at your bank and link it to your account?  All you would have to do then is transfer the money in if he wants to buy a book...

Frequent Contributor
clka
0 Kudos

CyberSammy wrote:

Thanks all -

I havent had the opportunity to try this as of yet, wifes birthday is later this month. I posted this because I had talked to a B&N representative, at a local B&N who told he knew this wasnt available, I even ask about using a singe account/credit card again I was told this wasn't possible. He even assurd me he had gotten off a conference call early this weekend where these types of questions where being asked. Great so it would appear the B&N folks are not on the same page as to what their device is capable of.

I guess Ill test this out my self later this month.

Thanks All.

Yes, you absolutely can have more than one nook on an account.  My nook arrived 2/1, Christmas gift from hubby, then he was a bit jealous so I got him one for Valentine's day.  We are both registered to the same B & N account and the books either of us purchase from B & N are downloaded on both nooks automatically.  There are a lot of books we'll both enjoy, others that one of us might ignore, no biggie.  Its fun to shop the online store together, read the same book on our nooks and discuss it....sort of like our own little book club.  (and we both love our nooks!)

Cheryl

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

So sadly even though we live in the same house, we're unable to share books like we use to do with our physical copies.  Unless of course the book has the lend me feature, sadly not all books do.  But even if they did I'm a slow reader and like to take my time with a book.  So sometimes 2 weeks isn't gonna cut it for me.

You can share the books by sideloading them onto the Nook (using USB), using the creditcard number and name they were bought with to open them.

Frequent Contributor
Foot
0 Kudos

This is great news! My wife has been eye balling my nook since I have had it.

New User
mandj
0 Kudos

My fiance and I both have nooks.  We bought at the same time and set up different accounts(stupid, I know).  Is there any way to join the two accounts together? 

Thanks

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I would think you could unregister one and the register it to the same account

Frequent Contributor
Teski
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

Sure, but then you would lose access to the books that you bought on your original account.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Teski wrote:

03FLHT2 wrote:

Sure, but then you would lose access to the books that you bought on your original account.

Actually you wouldn't.

1. Download the books from the account you will be closing to your computer as a backup, if you ever need to re-install them on your nook you will have to side load them.
  2. Unregister your nook and register it to the new account.
  3. If you lost books that were already on the nook (you shouldn't have) then side load them from your computer.
  4. If you have a problem opening the books from the original account (you shouldn't) then just enter the credit card information from that account into the nook to unlock them.

New User
GWWester
0 Kudos

My wife and I have a color Nook and are considering buying another one since we are both retired and we both like to read a lot.  Our reading likes are completely different so I was trying to find a way to have two separate llibraries for the two of us. But it doesn't seem like this can be done with one Barnes and Noble account.  Having to manage her books on my device and visa versa seems like such a pain. I can create a second account on the B&N website, however I can not associate our one membership number with two different accounts.  I don't want to have to buy a second membership in order to do this.  Any ideas on how to do this?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

GWWester: what do you need a membership number on the second account for? Many NOOK owners drop their memberships, since the membership doesn't apply to NOOK, NOOKbooks, or (except rarely) NOOK accessories.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

GWWester wrote:

My wife and I have a color Nook and are considering buying another one since we are both retired and we both like to read a lot.  Our reading likes are completely different so I was trying to find a way to have two separate llibraries for the two of us. But it doesn't seem like this can be done with one Barnes and Noble account.  Having to manage her books on my device and visa versa seems like such a pain. I can create a second account on the B&N website, however I can not associate our one membership number with two different accounts.  I don't want to have to buy a second membership in order to do this.  Any ideas on how to do this?

You don't need to buy a membership, just create a new account and register the second Nookcolor to that account.