Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Re: Family's with Multiple Nooks

If you're just going to be usig the second account for a NOOK, there is no reason to attach a membership number to it.  B&N memberships don't work with ebooks.

New User
EB_Foto
0 Kudos

I just spent an hour on the phone with BN customer service...for the third time in three days. My wife and I have been BN Nook customers since they came out. She had the Nook first and I had the Nook 3G. We bought another Nook for our daughter, then I bought her a Nook Color for Mother's Day and she bought a Nook Color for me on Father's Day. For those keeping count 5 Nook devices (with warranties & accessories over $1000)!

We realized we could no longer share one account to fully utilize all the features of the Nook Colors, so we opened a second account. Since then, we are unable to download books and apps because the bank cards issued to us on our joint account share the same number, although they reflect our separate names. It took 3 hours of phone calls to BN to discover that.

One rep told me to delete the card on both accounts and input the data all over again on both accounts. At the time one account was working. After doing as instructed BOTH accounts no loger work (Thanks BN CSR Phil! Way to go!)

Am I over reacting by wanting to return my "gift" and get the Motorola Xoom or an Ipad? Maybe. I just want to use the gift I received and all it's features.

Sorry for vomiting my dissatisfaction into the forum, but I honestly have no idea what else to do.

Contributor
scoozi
0 Kudos

Hmmm. Don't know what to tell you about why that isn't working, but my DH & I each set up separate B & N accounts with the same credit card account without a problem. Between the 2 of us we now have 3 nooks & at least 3 nook apps running too. No problems there.

New User
EB_Foto
0 Kudos

I do find it interesting that the two accounts with the single credit card were working for three days before it "became impossible."

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Interesting problem.  Not that this will help you in particular but maybe...

My wife and I have separate accounts.  I did not want BN to have my actual credit card # stored on their server (nothing against them, I don't want any company given the number of data thefts in the last couple years).  So I got a Discover Card.  Discover lets you create "dummy" card #'s that can only be used by one vendor (I think) and are tied to your main number.  I got 1 number for the wife and 1 for me.  Same master credit account with 2 account numbers for BN.  If the numbers ever get stolen, they shouldn't work or if they do it should be easy to identify on the statement and report fraud.

FWIW, I am doing ALL my online shopping this way going forward as it seems more secure (maybe it isn't actually more secure but if I sleep better at night then it is worth it).

Frequent Contributor
twlight73
0 Kudos

I have a N1E....love it!!!!  Thinking about getting a nook for my hubby. Sorry to ask a question thats probably been asked a million times but.....how do you register more than one nook to one acct?

Lose yourself in a good book :smileywink:
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Interesting problem.  Not that this will help you in particular but maybe...

My wife and I have separate accounts.  I did not want BN to have my actual credit card # stored on their server (nothing against them, I don't want any company given the number of data thefts in the last couple years).  So I got a Discover Card.  Discover lets you create "dummy" card #'s that can only be used by one vendor (I think) and are tied to your main number.  I got 1 number for the wife and 1 for me.  Same master credit account with 2 account numbers for BN.  If the numbers ever get stolen, they shouldn't work or if they do it should be easy to identify on the statement and report fraud.

FWIW, I am doing ALL my online shopping this way going forward as it seems more secure (maybe it isn't actually more secure but if I sleep better at night then it is worth it).

I have a Discover card and do the same thing.  And yes, as soon as you make one purchase with the virtual card, it is tied to that vendor and cannot be used anywhere else.

I will tell you that you cannot set this up on Amazon though, because when you buy something from Amazon, apparently even eBooks, they don't always come from the same vendor, even though they show up on the statement as from Amazon. I learned this after I set up virtual card number for Amazon, used it once and then it wouldn't work again.  Set up another one, used it once, same problem.  And this was with eBooks.  I talked to Discover and they confirmed that the card won't work with Amazon because of the various vendors involved.  Otherwise, I normally shop this way on line, using these virtual numbers.

Contributor
templenoire
0 Kudos

I don't know if this is mentioned, but my mom has a nook color and i have a nook classic 1.  We both have different accounts with different  credit cards registered.  I have simply downloaded and sideloaded the books on her nook color and typed in my credit card info in order for her to open the book.  once the credit card info is typed in she can open the book any time and it doesn't change the credit card info that is registered to her nook.  HOpefully this will help with multiple nooks in the house.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

twlight73 wrote:

I have a N1E....love it!!!!  Thinking about getting a nook for my hubby. Sorry to ask a question thats probably been asked a million times but.....how do you register more than one nook to one acct?

simple.  when you get the 'second' new nook, when you go to register it, you just use the same B&N account (email/password/cc).  done deal.

Frequent Contributor
twlight73
0 Kudos

sounds simple enough!!!  If I buy an ebook on my nook will it automatically download to his as well?

Lose yourself in a good book :smileywink:
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

twlight73 wrote:

sounds simple enough!!!  If I buy an ebook on my nook will it automatically download to his as well?

You still have to Sync  for new content for it to appear.

Contributor
slowest-rider
0 Kudos

If I get my husband a nook, and we register it to the same account as mine, I understand we share the books we buy from B&N. Do we have to organize our shelves the same way? Can he and I have the same books on entirely different shelves?

- Terri

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

twlight73 wrote:

I have three NOOKs on one account as well as an Android phone and the NOOK for PC app.  I have never had to manually sync any of them to get new books to download to all of them.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

ProfReader wrote:

twlight73 wrote:

I want to make sure we are using the same verbs and meaning the same thing.

IF you have TWO nooks on ONE account, and you purchase a book from B&N, then that book will end up on BOTH nooks.  For each it will appear either when it checks for new content automatically OR if you hit the selection.

IF (hypothetically) both were wi fi only models, and one was in a wi fi spot and then other was 20 miles away and not in a zone, the book would download to the first nook but not the second one until the second one got into a wi fi zone (or if you want to be real technical was plugged into pc and book was loaded via usb port but you get my point)

Contributor
Nooklover35
0 Kudos

slowest-rider wrote:

If I get my husband a nook, and we register it to the same account as mine, I understand we share the books we buy from B&N. Do we have to organize our shelves the same way? Can he and I have the same books on entirely different shelves?

- Terri

Your shelves can be totally different.

New User
blueflamingo11
0 Kudos

Im not sure if Im in the correct thread, but Im a mom trying to motivate her teenagers to read. They both have ipads with the nook app and I have a Nook HD. How can I manage like different settings for each ipad? Its a boy and a girl with very different interests, but when I buy a book it will show up on all three devices. I want my kids to see only what I purchase for them, and them not necessarily reading what I purchase for myself. For example it annoys my daughter that my recipe books appear in her nook. Is there a possibility to manage each device differently?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

blueflamingo11 wrote:

Im not sure if Im in the correct thread, but Im a mom trying to motivate her teenagers to read. They both have ipads with the nook app and I have a Nook HD. How can I manage like different settings for each ipad? Its a boy and a girl with very different interests, but when I buy a book it will show up on all three devices. I want my kids to see only what I purchase for them, and them not necessarily reading what I purchase for myself. For example it annoys my daughter that my recipe books appear in her nook. Is there a possibility to manage each device differently?

The only way to mange this with the devices you mention is to have separate accounts for each device.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

The only way to mange this with the devices you mention is to have separate accounts for each device.

These accounts can all use the same credit card / addresss / name info, however.