Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Kevin
0 Kudos

Feb. 1 Orders

These threads are always among the most active, as people with the same expected ship dates gather to compare notes about when they ordered, and (more importantly) when they got their nooks.

Let’s use this thread for people in the “Class of Feb. 1.”  (We’ll post Feb. 1 updates here as we have them.)

Frequent Contributor
la_writer
0 Kudos

Re: Feb. 1 Orders

[ Edited ]

Yay!  That's me!  Hopefully, we won't need the updates like the folks in December. 

I ordered on Dec. 16 but had to cancel when I found out that my father ordered one for me on Dec. 20.  I'm wondering if the pre-orders have slowed down because the B&N site still is showing a ship date of Feb 1 if one were to order today.  Either that, or B&N stopped estimating the ship date and is just telling everyone Feb. 1. 

Frequent Contributor
dreamcatcherSM
0 Kudos

I am class of Feb 1.  It was interesting to see everyone posting about updates on when their nooks were going to arrive.  I am getting money for christmas and yay! I have ordered a nook.  I can't wait!:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
gulo
0 Kudos

would be nice if those got shipped a little earlier since the Christmas rush will be long gone by then

Frequent Contributor
svsu
0 Kudos

I'm a proud member of the class of Feb 1, 2010. Looking forward to getting this device. Good job so far B&N!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

I'm in this class also, thanks to my wonderful daughter!  I've already started my wishlist and it has about 50 titles right now!  :smileyhappy:

I wonder if I should renew my BN membership though, if they aren't going to give us a discount on anything related to the nook (including titles) why keep it?

Frequent Contributor
dreamcatcherSM
0 Kudos

I also cannot decide whether to keep my B&N membership.  I will buy books for my kids (not e-books) but they do not read as much as I do.  I do like to get audiobooks to have in my car so it may still be worth it.

Reader 4
M_J_M
0 Kudos

I'm also in the "Class of 2/1".  I've loaded the eBook software to my PC and bought and downloaded a couple books while I'm waiting.  I just hope I can transfer them to the Nook when I get it.  Does anyone know if I can do this?

Contributor
Capecruiser
0 Kudos

Re: Feb.. 1 Orders

I am also in the class of 2/1.  I would be in an earlier class if I could have seen one earlier.  I was interested in early November and tried to see one at my local B& N twice before success. 

Reader
hayley10

M_J_M, I was also wondering about that.  If you can transfer books from a PC to the nook... I'm also hoping that it's possible.

Contributor
nookverse
0 Kudos

You can transfer books from PC to nook. You can also read Barnes and Noble-purchased eBooks on multiple devices with the BN eReader software. Check out the Support page (FAQ and User Guide, in particular) for more info.

All the best,

Beth
www.nookverse.com
Contributor
AaronFMD
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Me too!  Placed order on 12/23.  Am now looking at covers and microSD cards.  I haven't searched yet, but has anyone commented on the class of SD card making a difference?  Class 6 is the fastest, and the one sold on the B&N website is only a Class 2.  I wonder if it would be any faster either searching on the Nook or side loading files by going with the faster ones. 

Correspondent
T-BONECA
0 Kudos

AaronFMD wrote:

Me too!  Placed order on 12/23.  Am now looking at covers and microSD cards.  I haven't searched yet, but has anyone commented on the class of SD card making a difference?  Class 6 is the fastest, and the one sold on the B&N website is only a Class 2.  I wonder if it would be any faster either searching on the Nook or side loading files by gonig with the faster ones. 

Good Question. Here's an answer.

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_nook.pdf

See page 116

Reader 4
carpdave
0 Kudos

I placed my order on 12/21 with hopes of getting money for Christmas. I was pleasantly surprised with more than I expected to get so I will be able to buy some books to put on my Nook.as part of my Christmas.

Regarding the class of SD cards for the Nook. I would suggest buying the cheapest. Since the Nook is not capable of playing video, speed is not an important consideration when shopping for expansion memory.

Contributor
AaronFMD
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

carpdave wrote:

Regarding the class of SD cards for the Nook. I would suggest buying the cheapest. Since the Nook is not capable of playing video, speed is not an important consideration when shopping for expansion memory.

Not sure I agree with above.   T-BONECA, thanks for link, I cut and pasted from the user guide: 

The speed of the card does not affect page display speeds. It can affect read and write speeds when transferring eBooks and personal files to and from the SD card. 

No mention about speed of searching. 

Inspired Contributor
CaliMar
0 Kudos

I ordered back in November and in the waiting period I downloaded the eBook software to my Mac and bought and downloaded a couple of books.  When my nook arrived and I got it all working, the titles I had previously downloaded and read on my Mac were available on the nook :smileyhappy:  I had no trouble at all :smileyhappy:

M_J_M wrote:

I'm also in the "Class of 2/1".  I've loaded the eBook software to my PC and bought and downloaded a couple books while I'm waiting.  I just hope I can transfer them to the Nook when I get it.  Does anyone know if I can do this?

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

So  from what you said, I am going to guess that the nook follows your log in.  I have downloaded a couple of books on my laptop (free ones) until I get my nook on 2/1.  I wondered if it carried the notes back too.  I am going to order a couple of books to read for my thesis paper and the notes will be nice to carry over.  I also wondered if in the future b&b will make it possible to print these notes somehow.  

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Contributor
Suzan129
0 Kudos

My DH ordered one for me for xmas. I was a Feb 1 deliv date. However, I cancelled my order this evening. Just too many cons. I wanted one so bad, but now I'm on the fence about which e reader I will go with. I figure I can always change my mind and reorder if I wanted. I really hope they work the kinks out by the time you all get yours! Then maybe I will be on the April list! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
mrsvaljones
0 Kudos

My Daddy loves me and got me the nook for Christmas...yay me...I was following the nook the day it was uploaded to the website...so excited but I have never had an e-reader before so I was unsure if it would work for me and delayed purchasing which was the greatest act of personal self control ever; that being said, I am super excited to get mine. For me the ability to place all my textbooks, or at least a majority of them, on the nook saves me a ton of back ache and carrying since I'm going away to college...so once again I am super excited. B&N is my favorite happy place, like a childrens Disneyland. Thanks B&N. And I still plan on keeping up my membership since there is just something natural and fun about real true books. The nook will be fantastic for school and even better for long waits between new arrivals of authors I adore. So for me I'm getting the best of both worlds.

Valerie Jones

one of B&N's biggest fans!!!! and patiently waiting the arrival of MY nook!!!!

...can't wait for my nook...woohoo...

Valerie Jones
"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams..." -Dr. Seuss
Frequent Contributor
dreamcatcherSM
0 Kudos

I went back and forth becuase of all the negatives that other people posted about the nook.  I do  love B&N though and I know it is a first gen product for B&N so I am willing to take a chance.  If nobody is ever a first adopter for technology then technology will never move forward.  I did wait a little and hopefully the biggest issues will be solved by the time we get ours:smileytongue: