Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
dylanzeppelin
0 Kudos

Re: Feb. 1 Orders

@SkinnyLexus, I am a member but yet my boyfriend who ordered it, is not. So I don't think that's how they are doing it. It's very random it seems with no patterns at all. 

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos
Reader 2
twodreamers
0 Kudos

For those who live in NYC... The Nook is IN STOCK in some stores!!!  I just cancelled my Feb 1 pre-order and bought it in the E. 86th Street & Lexington store.  It's charging now and I can't wait to start using it.  I think this is one of the few things that would get me out on this rainy night!

...Diane
"Without leaps of imagination, or dreaming,
we lose the excitement of possibilities.
Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning."
--Gloria Steinem
Frequent Contributor
EmmettSnape
0 Kudos

You're definitely from Orange County!  Used to live there years ago.  One drop of rain and there's accidents everywhere.  

FrogAlum wrote:

katworley wrote:

I'm in Loomis (between Sacramento and Auburn along I-80). Weather envy is probably a lot of it, although this winter has been a bit more extreme than usual. We actually got snow in December! that's a once-in-a-decade occurrence. It's supposed to rain for the next 3-4 days around here, but we've had sun for the last week and a half.

Yes, lots of rain here next week too, I refuse to go anywhere as no one knows how to drive in it here even if it's just a drizzle!

Hopefully we get our notices soon!

Contributor
Mobiem
0 Kudos

I too am a Dec. 12 order.

SW Indiana

I've heard nada!!!

Any Hoosier's heard anything?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

@EmmettSnape

Yep, Orange County and I moved here from Fort Worth 3 years ago, where we get real storms!  It's like everyone stops at the first sign of drizzle right there on the highway so they can look up to see what happened!  It is a lot like chicken little around here when it rains.  :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
PsycheUtah
0 Kudos

well if they really are in stock in NY (not doubting you, just saying) then that makes me think that all the rest of us should have our ship notices before the end of the long weekend (by monday night).  I would think they wouldn't stock a store unless they had them ready for shipment to all the people who had ordered.

could be wishful thinking though... still waiting for my notice.

................................................................................................................................................

“Patience; n. A minor form of despair, disguised as a virtue.”
Frequent Contributor
TiffanyLynn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

twodreamers wrote:

For those who live in NYC... The Nook is IN STOCK in some stores!!!  I just cancelled my Feb 1 pre-order and bought it in the E. 86th Street & Lexington store.  It's charging now and I can't wait to start using it.  I think this is one of the few things that would get me out on this rainy night!

Ohhhh, I am going to NYC on Tuesday.  I think I will try to pick it up when I get there!  Not sure how that will work since I paid for it with a gift card.  I am still going to try.

Frequent Contributor
EmmettSnape
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

@EmmettSnape

Yep, Orange County and I moved here from Fort Worth 3 years ago, where we get real storms!  It's like everyone stops at the first sign of drizzle right there on the highway so they can look up to see what happened!  It is a lot like chicken little around here when it rains.  :smileywink:

That would explain the 91 & the 405 parking lots  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
gulo
0 Kudos

looks like most people with shipping notice ordered around Dec 24-26 or later

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

twodreamers wrote:

As I said in the other thread.  This is  a slap in the face to every person who preordered and hasn't received theirs (Feb 1 and 12 shipments).  It is nice to know B&N values their NYC customers more than those in other areas of the country. 

Correspondent
EastCoastBird

Alley415 wrote:

twodreamers wrote:

As I said in the other thread.  This is  a slap in the face to every person who preordered and hasn't received theirs (Feb 1 and 12 shipments).  It is nice to know B&N values their NYC customers more than those in other areas of the country. 

Didn't you spurn the nook and ran over to Amazon to get a Kindle?  Why are you still here?

Frequent Contributor
EmmettSnape
0 Kudos

Has anyone from around 12/12 and/or online orders received their notice yet?

Frequent Contributor
EmmettSnape
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

twodreamers wrote:

Actually,no surprise since they're hq'd in NYC.

Reader 4
M_J_M
0 Kudos

What does any of this have to do with Feb 1 orders?

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

EmmettSnape wrote:

Actually,no surprise since they're hq'd in NYC.

This is true but it is still bad business.  B&N has stated time and time again the stores would not get them until all preorders had been filled. Even those who would purchase one online today would still have a Feb ship date. 

Frequent Contributor
gulo
0 Kudos

EmmettSnape wrote:

Has anyone from around 12/12 and/or online orders received their notice yet?

I ordered on 12/12 and still nothing

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

M_J_M wrote:

What does any of this have to do with Feb 1 orders?

The person had a Feb 1 order but since they were able to get one now at the brick-and-mortar they did so and cancelled the Feb 1 order (which they probably would've gotten in the next week anyway...LOL).

Frequent Contributor
PA10
0 Kudos

Not necessarily true.  I ordered 12/17 at the store using credit card and am a member.  It seem that there is no rhyme or reason for their orders.  I am anxiously awaiting my notice. 

Frequent Contributor
la_writer
0 Kudos

Still nothing here.  12/20 order date.  I'm kind of bummed. 

I had kind of a bad experience at my local B&N today.  I dropped in to see if they had any covers in stock.  They had one out (the Hutton envelope in black) on display next to the nook.  I picked it up and asked the girl behind the customer service counter, "Do you have any more covers?"  She barely glanced at me and said, in a real snotty tone, "No, that's it.  And we don't have any nooks either."  This is not my first bad experience with the people behind the customer service desk there.  Anyway, I took the Hutton envelope out of the box and played around with it.  I didn't like it.  The leather felt cheap and really stiff - not soft at all.  I also thought the opening for the nook was too small.  It seemed like a really tight fit.  I like snap part of it, but I'd be afraid of damaging the e-ink screen when I tried to snap it.  I'm afraid it would crack under the pressure of the snap.

All this talk of rain and L.A. makes me miss it, though I don't miss commuting on the 405.  (I don't think my hsuband misses it, either.  He racked up more than one ticket by driving in the carpool lane.)