Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

Re: Feb. 1 Orders

jsant wrote:

Okay, so I don’t want to fuel the fire but here’s what I know.  I called today to complain about my current lack of a ship notice.  I ordered on 12/12 in the store in Houston.  I got some song and dance about people lying on the message board and how it was not possible that people who had ordered after me were receiving ship notices.  So I told the girl that I would believe that if there were not so many posts about this subject in all of the ship date threads.  The customer service reps are totally clueless about this problem.  I told her that someone from B&N should get on the boards and do damage control.  Of course if they have not done it by now, it’s not going to happen.

Now on to the truly disturbing part….she then tells me that I should try the store in San Antonio at La Cantara.  Why you might ask?  Because customer service received an email this week saying that 7 stores would be receiving shipments of the Nook this week.  What I said, cannot be.  So I called the store at La Cantera and the girl who answered the phone confirmed.  I asked if I could buy one by phone and have it sent to me when they receive their shipment and she said NO.  They need to confirm identity to card blah blah blah.  I made her talk with a supervisor and the answer was still no.  I did covey to her that it was crap that the people who preorder forever ago would be getting their Nooks after Joe Blow off the street who stumbles into the store this week.  She could not have cared less…..not that I would have expected her to.

I don’t know where the 5 other stores are located, but I do know NY and San Antonio will have Nooks this week.  Happy hunting to anyone who lives near these stores!

I think that's really annoying. Considering we were told that all of the pre-orders would be filled before they stocked the shelves at the store.  I am considering callng the local bandn and finding out if they are expected to get any in soon or if they have any in stock.  It annoys me that someone who hasn't been anxiously waiting for theirs and just decides on a whim to buy one will get one before I who have waited patiently and preordered mine. 

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
New User
BayouNook
0 Kudos

I can verify that it is not first in first out.  My friend ordered his after me (as a result of me ordering mine) and reported that he got his email saying his was pending shipment on Saturday morning.

I also talked to CS and they told me that no orders had shipped and that they could not verify that any had shipped.  I told them to read their own website.

Ordered Dec 21, still waiting.

Contributor
tessnpink
0 Kudos

I feel the same way. I wish I would not support this barnes and noble any more because of the way they have handled the situation and this one nook situation is not the only one.  There have been others before this that has upset me.  I hate to support companies who act like this , but what do we do.  They have us where they want us.  They know we researched it, ordered it, paid for it, and are waiting patiently for it.  So , guys will we really turn it away when UPS drops it off, no.  And they know that too, I can guarentee though, there have been defective ones and if mine is defective when it comes, even though they say they will send another one in 2 days, they do not and resubmit the order.  If mine comes back defective, I will get my money back and go for another ereader immediatley.

Frequent Contributor
OBoogie
0 Kudos

I'm glad some people think it is "fun" that they are going in completely random order, but I don't.  I ordered on December 15.  It is NOT cool that someone who ordered AFTER FREAKING CHRISTMAS is getting theirs before me. It is not good customer service.

And before some holier than thou person says that I should get a grip, and it is just an ereader? Mind your own business.  Be zen all you want, but this stupid device cost $260, and they should be FIFO, not LIFO.  BLAH.  I don't want a Kindle (I'm not a fan), or trust me, I'd cancel and go get one right now.

Contributor
tessnpink
0 Kudos

I do agree, we are way past zen.  Not only have we paid for the nook, but what about all the other books we have purchased along with it.  $260.00 is just the beginning.  ?  can we purchase books from other companies for our nook or are we stuck to do it here at b n.

Contributor
SKoziatek
0 Kudos

I'm one of those who would be excited if it came early, but not terribly put out if it's sent out on February 1st as they promised. Frankly I have no idea if B&N is sending it out themselves or if they even have any control/visibility into what's happening on the shipping end.

However, I do know I'm blessed to have friends/family generous enough to give me gift cards toward one, and a job so I can afford to cover the difference. I didn't think I'd be able to afford one this year, but am thankful that it's on the horizon, and I've already downloaded plenty of ebooks to read when it arrives.

Contributor
agengr2004
0 Kudos

jsant wrote:

Okay, so I don’t want to fuel the fire but here’s what I know.  I called today to complain about my current lack of a ship notice.  I ordered on 12/12 in the store in Houston.  I got some song and dance about people lying on the message board and how it was not possible that people who had ordered after me were receiving ship notices.  So I told the girl that I would believe that if there were not so many posts about this subject in all of the ship date threads.  The customer service reps are totally clueless about this problem.  I told her that someone from B&N should get on the boards and do damage control.  Of course if they have not done it by now, it’s not going to happen.

Now on to the truly disturbing part….she then tells me that I should try the store in San Antonio at La Cantara.  Why you might ask?  Because customer service received an email this week saying that 7 stores would be receiving shipments of the Nook this week.  What I said, cannot be.  So I called the store at La Cantera and the girl who answered the phone confirmed.  I asked if I could buy one by phone and have it sent to me when they receive their shipment and she said NO.  They need to confirm identity to card blah blah blah.  I made her talk with a supervisor and the answer was still no.  I did covey to her that it was crap that the people who preorder forever ago would be getting their Nooks after Joe Blow off the street who stumbles into the store this week.  She could not have cared less…..not that I would have expected her to.

I don’t know where the 5 other stores are located, but I do know NY and San Antonio will have Nooks this week.  Happy hunting to anyone who lives near these stores!

I live about a mile from that B&N, and it's probably the biggest one I've ever been in, 2 stories and all.  If you have one around you that is the newer store, 2 floors, carries everything, I would call them and see if they are getting it.  I do know that was the first store around here to have one to "see" in store.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about who gets their nook first. I'm not standing in line in kindergarten here, so if B&N is staging the product based on warehouses and such, I'll not fault them if someone cuts in line.

That being said, has anyone confirmed one way or another whether the folks getting their nooks early are B&N club members? I do remember being notified during the order process that members would be prioritized.

Frequent Contributor
OBoogie
0 Kudos

I'm totally in kindergarten.  Who wants some animal crackers?  Hurray!  Nap time!

Contributor
tessnpink
0 Kudos

Members are not prioritized.  I am a member, from Minnesota, ordered dec 11th still nothing.  Were not in kindergarten, obviously, but when you expect customer service and the truth, after a fairly large purchase, you hope you are important to be told the truth.  This is getting ridicoulus with calling frustrated customers immature.  We all took a pact in the beginning to not rant on each others parade, nor make fun of our excitement and frustration.  So, if you dont feel our needs are worth getting upset about then you shouldnt be in this class blog.  We are all trying to empty our frustrations out by talking to each other and hoping our new friends here in this class will help the time to go by faster.  Please be more sincere

Frequent Contributor
dylanzeppelin
0 Kudos

@wynand32 i don't believe they are, as my boyfriend who ordered it for me is not a member. At first it seem to be geography sound but then there are some in the same state that hasn't gotten a notification, so it's very random. 

New User
dustinzoe
0 Kudos

Okay, I've been read this entire board through the past month or so, and I finally decided to hop in. I'm in February 1st, and my nook was ordered by my Mom as a Christmas present to me on December 19th. 

To hear that a few people are receiving their nook's now is great news, and I'm very excited for them! But to hear that B&N is shipping and stocking stores without pre-orders being filled first is incredibly upsetting! It's a slap in the face to anyone who pre-ordered! Please don't tell me I'm being irrational, because I'm not. Why pre-order if orders aren't going to be shipped to those who've pre-ordered first?

Honestly, if someone who ordered 12/23 is getting their nook before me, big deal... I'm sure a certain warehouse shipped it out before mine. But it's simply poor customer service to start stocking stores while I'm sitting here without my nook!

Correspondent
crim_crazy622
0 Kudos

OBoogie wrote:

I'm totally in kindergarten.  Who wants some animal crackers?  Hurray!  Nap time!

Me! Me! ewww....when is story time?  do we get to finger paint today?  haha!

I'm trying to have fun with this even if I am annoyed... I've decided I'm going to focus on what I can control instead of being annoyed at what I can't control!!! :smileyvery-happy:  what's the worst that happens ours don't get shipped for another 13 days?  I mean I've been waiting since dec. 13th already what's a few more days? 

"I think the fact that we're all gonna' die is a pretty good reason to stop complaining." ~Dave Matthews ~
Contributor
jwambach
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure being a member has little to do with shipping priority, at least it wasn't a factor with the first nook I ordered.  I am not a BN member, and I had ordered a nook on 11/9 as an xmas present for my girlfriend.  I was notified on 12/17 that it had shipped, which was several days sooner than others who ordered at least 5 days before me (I have posted about this previously in the "dec 11" thread).

Since I had a chance to evaluate her nook, I decided to order one for myself on 12/14, and have not heard anything to indicate it has shipped yet. 

I chaulk it up as luck that I got my first one when I did, I'm guessing my luck isn't as good the second time around :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

tessnpink wrote:

I do agree, we are way past zen.  Not only have we paid for the nook, but what about all the other books we have purchased along with it.  $260.00 is just the beginning.  ?  can we purchase books from other companies for our nook or are we stuck to do it here at b n.

Lots of places to buy books, my favorite is Fictionwise, click the link in my signature for the thread about them.

Contributor
Betty1010
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How  do you find out which stores are going to have The Nook in stock soon? Do I have to make another call to CS where I never seem to be able to get an answer? I ordered 12/16 and still nothing. I decided to make another call to CS and was told again that there was absolutely no way that any of the expected 2/1 ship date customers were getting their Nooks early. I went through the entire story again about the postings on the B&N help board, and was told that they were probably not telling the truth. I guess the CS person didn't pay attention in kindergarten when the teachers taught us not to call other people liars.:smileywink:

Hopefully we will all get our shipping notices soon.

Frequent Contributor
OBoogie
0 Kudos

crim_crazy622 wrote:

OBoogie wrote:

Me! Me! ewww....when is story time?  do we get to finger paint today?  haha!

I'm trying to have fun with this even if I am annoyed... I've decided I'm going to focus on what I can control instead of being annoyed at what I can't control!!! :smileyvery-happy:  what's the worst that happens ours don't get shipped for another 13 days?  I mean I've been waiting since dec. 13th already what's a few more days? 

Hahaha!  We DO get to finger paint today!

I need to stop reading these boards.  I wouldn't even know they were shipping to others if I didn't read about it here!  Who cares?  B&N clearly have no idea what they are doing.  I'm not even sure why I want a nook anymore.  If I hadn't won it in a raffle, I wouldn't be buying one.  Once again, blah.

Reader 4
darcyMI
0 Kudos

I ordered on Dec 17 and so I am also in the Feb 1 group - and have not heard a thing yet on my shipping.   Although I will admit to being a little frustrated at receiving mine after others that ordered after me, I am trying to be patient.  Technically, it is not late until Feb 2. I wish someone from B&N shipping/management would chime in here and explain the process.  I have a feeling there is a very logical explanation.  My husband suggested order numbers.  I would think that they would go in order of purchase, but maybe there is some variation - store vs. web, state, etc.  Either way, I have to believe that we will all being hearing in the next couple of days.

I wonder how many people where in each shipping group (Jan 15, Feb 1) and how many they can ship in a day.

Reader 4
SeminoleNurse
0 Kudos

I am just curious as to if anyone from Florida has received a shipping notice yet?   :smileyindifferent:

Contributor
Mark_Scheuern
0 Kudos

As much as I'd like to get it as soon as possible, it said Feb. 1 shipping when I ordered, so I had and still have no expectation other than getting it some time around Feb. 1. I'm not going to get too worked up over others getting it first.