Reader
chemicalfawn
0 Kudos

Re: Feb. 12 Orders

My order is currently "out for delivery."  While running errands today, I've passed 3 separate UPS trucks.  Considered hi-jacking each one to find out who had my nook ... Instead, I've returned home and have been waiting patiently ...

Contributor
hbgg1989
0 Kudos

My Nook is here!  I am so lucky to be off work today.  UPS came just before noon and I had it in my hands before the driver could get back to his truck.

I am registered, my purchases downloaded and almost completely charged.  I took the tour, read all the hints I could find and have the screen protector applied. I am glad I got the screen protector and it went on very nicely.

The key board takes some getting used to; I kept hitting a key that was not what I intended. I'm sure that will be something that just takes getting used to.

Fed Ex has my cover and it is out for delivery.

Next I will go looking for the software update; not sure if it has been pushed to my area yet. 

The swipe to turn pages works very nicely; I did read the many posts on how to do this successfully and they proved to be correct.

I have researched the posts on screensavers and wallpaper and will get some ready to download.  I have Calibre on my computer and plan to surf kobobooks.com for some eBook options (other than B&N).

All in all, this has been a seamless, painless process and I already love my new toy!

Thanks to everyone who has posted their experiences and suggestions.  They have been a great help.

Happy Graduation!

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Well, it's here! However, I unpacked it and am letting it come to room temperature before doing anything. That's what we do here in Wisconsin.

Inspired Contributor
yasulh
0 Kudos

Congrats to the Class of Feb. 12th! It appears that you will be the last graduating class! I guess everyone else will be home schooled. :smileyvery-happy:

I will miss reading about everyone's excitement and anticipation. It helped to keep the feel of the holidays going for a bit longer.

New User
Laughs-In-Her-Sleep
0 Kudos

My hubby was trying to surprise me for Valentine's Day and ordered my nook for me on the 29th with the free 3-day shipping. But I caught him paying for it and ruined his surprise. Poor guy can't get anything passed me!

I got a shipping notice on the 3rd and when I visit the UPS site to track the package, it just says "Billing Information Received." Its status hasn't changed in 48 hours. 

So I called B&N customer service and was told that I should get the package in three days as planned. The rep told me to expect it on Monday. I was told not to worry about the status. 

So I'm sitting on pins and needles awaiting delivery. At least Monday the 8th is earlier than the 12th!

In the meantime, it helps to read that people are getting their nooks and are already enjoying them. It's a reminder that this will be me soon!:smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
SmilinGirl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

hbgg1989 wrote:

My Nook is here!  I am so lucky to be off work today.  UPS came just before noon and I had it in my hands before the driver could get back to his truck.

I am registered, my purchases downloaded and almost completely charged.  I took the tour, read all the hints I could find and have the screen protector applied. I am glad I got the screen protector and it went on very nicely.

The key board takes some getting used to; I kept hitting a key that was not what I intended. I'm sure that will be something that just takes getting used to.

Fed Ex has my cover and it is out for delivery.

Next I will go looking for the software update; not sure if it has been pushed to my area yet. 

The swipe to turn pages works very nicely; I did read the many posts on how to do this successfully and they proved to be correct.

I have researched the posts on screensavers and wallpaper and will get some ready to download.  I have Calibre on my computer and plan to surf kobobooks.com for some eBook options (other than B&N).

All in all, this has been a seamless, painless process and I already love my new toy!

Thanks to everyone who has posted their experiences and suggestions.  They have been a great help.

Happy Graduation!

Mine is here as well!!!  It arrived at about 6:00PM EST tonight.  The packaging is interesting.  I was so excited to get it all open, I was ready to cut into it with a hacksaw to speed things up. (Kidding!) Anyway, it is hooked up and charging.  I registered and all six of the books I ordered from B&N are there.  I made some custom screensaver images (600X800 images) and a custom wallpaper (600X760 image), and I have them ready to load after it charges. I will check www.nooklook.com for more. 

I used calibre to import and reformat some free books to my PC, so I am anxious to see how the upload works.  My nook is nestled in my gorgeous Oberson red Sun nook cover.  I am one happy camper right about now! 

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
--Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
edUcateMS
0 Kudos

Re: Feb.. 12 Orders

I already miss the staring at my order status waiting for the date to change and the impulsive need to check the Feb. 12 order board to see if someone's nook shipped. They shipped so quickly in our class that there wasn't really time to take it in.

I've caught myself several times unconsciously logging in to check my order status.  

Frequent Contributor
alegremama
0 Kudos

Yay!

My nook arrived this afternoon! However, I was just about to go out for my afternoon tutoring sessions and I had to leave right after I got it in my hands. I have decided to open it tomorrow and do all that I need to do to set it up.

I have been downloading eBooks from epub and manybooks. I downloaded calibre and have been building up my library.

This is so much fun!

:smileyvery-happy:

Reader 2
mrocktrevillian
0 Kudos

This is pretty sad .... but will turn out OK on Monday.   My poor precious Nook spent too much time in Phil, PA and finally got a red-eye to Ontario CA (albiet a direct flight).  She (who knew she was a she until just now?) arrived there last night (Thursday) and was hoping to be home with her new mother for a weekend of getting to know each other and bonding.  Alas, for reasons known only to the UPS gods, after her arrival she was delayed all day Friday ....... stuck, stuck, stuck ..... and now her super plans for super bowl weekend are gone.  A (no doubt) cold brick building is her half-way home for the entire weekend. 

Location Date Local Time DescriptionWhat's This?
ONTARIO, CA, US02/04/20109:37 P.M.ARRIVAL SCAN
PHILADELPHIA, PA, US02/04/20106:46 P.M.DEPARTURE SCAN
PHILADELPHIA, PA, US02/03/201011:57 P.M.ORIGIN SCAN
US02/03/20102:52 P.M.BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

She and I will be better for it ...... and the laundry may get done.    

To all who have gotten your new family members this week ~ Enjoy.    I will be with you on Monday. 

mt

Contributor
ericDylan
0 Kudos

where does one go to track the order? the money was taken out of the account (the sales person made a point of saying that that wouldn't happen until it shipped) either yesterday or the day before (my mom couldn't remember). and i want to track the order to see where it is. but i put the order number on the print out receipt into the ups website track thing and it said it couldn't find it. is there another number i need to use?

Contributor
Valerie85
0 Kudos

got my nook today! Had it shipped to my parents house so it wouldn't be sitting out all day :smileyhappy: mom opened it up for me while I was at work and had it all charged for me when I got there to pick it up! Registered just fine and downloaded the latest update with ease :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Gyokuro
0 Kudos

Mine said it left Seacaucus NJ at 1 am on the 5th and it hasn't updated since. I'm really hoping it's much closer than that and they just haven't scanned it in somewhere.

@ Eric: you should get another email with a link to track your package and the link will appear on your status page too. At least that's what happened with mine.

Reader 2
mrocktrevillian
0 Kudos

Update:   My nook is going to Disneyland! without me!  The status says she got to Anaheim at 1:01am.  I'd like to have been the one to take her to the so called happiest place on earth ..... but then I will ~ Carmel California is my happiest place on earth (sorry Disney) and reading my nook on my favorite beach is just a few weeks away.   It is pouring rain in CA this weekend ~ if nook had been home ~ nothing would have gotten done.     Happy Reading

Frequent Contributor
mlfoley012
0 Kudos

I received my Nook, Gatsby, late Thursday. I didn't have time to do anything more than get it out of the box and let it charge.  Friday I found I just couldn't concentrate and took 1/2 a day off to get my Nook set up.  (sad but true)  I had it with me so on my way home from work I stopped at B&N.  I got on their wifi and got registered without a problem.  However none of the books I had previously purchases showed up in my library & when I tried to buy something while in the store it didn't work.  I could search for book and even go through the order process but then it kept giving me an error message.  I went to the CS desk and although they tried to help me, knew virtually nothing about the Nook. They called CS and the person I talked to explained how to side load what I'd already purchased.  I don't mind having to do that but was thinking it took some of the fun out of the gadget! I also found that it kept freezing up on me.  I was starting to get a little nervous.

When I got home I did sideload the books and that all went smoothly but the books still didn't show up in my library. They were in my documents so I could still open and read them but I wasn't able to scroll through the covers, etc.  I also was able to connect without issue to my wifi at home.  I started watching some of the tutorials and read more of the manual.  I then found that there was a new update that you could manually download.  I did this and after that...everything worked fine. All of a sudden all my books were in my library, I was able to view the covers, I was able to purchase and do all the extra stuff Gatsby was meant to do!

I woke up early to find that my NYT paper was waiting for me and have been pretty attached ever since.  I will say the battery doesn't seem to be lasting very long but I'm going to give it another shot.  The only thing I can't figure out is the swipe.  I have a touch screen phone so didn't think this was going to be hard but when I try it, it turns my page back instead of forward......What am I doing wrong?

This has been my experience so far.  I have to say I was worried but as of now I am loving it.  I plan on heading back to B&N today to check out the in store experience. :smileyhappy:

Congrats class of Feb 12th!  Happy Reading!

Frequent Contributor
elsie_kev
0 Kudos

I ordered mine on 2/4 and it is due to arrive on 2/9. In tracking, it is on its way!  I can't wait. I am worried about what I have heard about regestration, mainly since we live in a rural area. Will see.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Well, I am very happy that it took until Feb. 5 to get my nook delivered. The reason is that I was able to read all the posts on this board and that the second update came through.

Icebike, EagleSB and all the others with the good advice really gave me the confidence to work through registering, connecting to my Wifi, sideloading and all the rest.

Thanks to all of you.

Inspired Contributor
yasulh
0 Kudos

mlfoley012 wrote:

The only thing I can't figure out is the swipe.  I have a touch screen phone so didn't think this was going to be hard but when I try it, it turns my page back instead of forward......What am I doing wrong?

Are you swiping in the right direction? To go to the next page you need to swipe right to left, just like you were actually turning the page. If you swipe left to right then you go back a page.

Frequent Contributor
mlfoley012
0 Kudos

mlfoley012 wrote:

The only thing I can't figure out is the swipe.  I have a touch screen phone so didn't think this was going to be hard but when I try it, it turns my page back instead of forward......What am I doing wrong?

Are you swiping in the right direction? To go to the next page you need to swipe right to left, just like you were actually turning the page. If you swipe left to right then you go back a page.

Yes, (I wasn't at first but then read some posts) and I've tried the top to bottom thing too.  I can get it to work bottom to top and turn back a page but I can't go forward! :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
mlfoley012
0 Kudos

Never mind.....I just "got it" :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well I'm rather miffed at UPS. It got to my state very fast from New Jersey but they're messing around with about 25 minutes from my house. Yeah, they got it Thursday but aren't delivering until Monday. I'm tempted to drive out there and tell them the post office would never take that long to sort and deliver. This is typical UPS and why they're my shipper of last resort.