Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith
0 Kudos

Fictionwise

Can anyone tell me how the Agency Model has affected Fictionwise? 

My Barnes and Noble membership is about to expire and I thought I might go to Fictionwise. However, I went to the website and I don't see anything about an annual membership with discounts. Has that gone away?  Also, I don't understand how the micropay works now, is it just putting money in an account for use later, without the benefits of discounts and free books?

Thanks!

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Re: Fictionwise

[ Edited ]
asgalbraith wrote:

Can anyone tell me how the Agency Model has affected Fictionwise? 

It's hit them very hard. They haven't had any 'Agency 5' titles since April, and their main stock now seems to be Harlequin along with the few Random House titles. Even though they're not selling 'Agency 5' titles, they closed their Buywise club to new members back in March.

If they have what you're looking for, you can still find some good deals there.

Note: as far as I know, nobody has discount clubs for e-books any more. If they did, they couldn't offer discounts on 'Agency 5' titles anyway.

asgalbraith wrote:

I don't understand how the micropay works now, is it just putting money in an account for use later, without the benefits of discounts and free books?

As far as I know, that's all it ever was. It's a rebate program, giving you 'store credit' when you buy certain titles, but not if you buy them using your micropay. It only seems to be available on DRMed e-books.

Frequent Contributor
PocketGoddess

I can't really recommend Fictionwise anymore. It used to be a great site, and their Buywise club was a great deal, but as the other poster mentioned the so-called "agency model" has completely destroyed their business.

Add that to the fact that Fictionwise/eReader are apparently never going to release a new version of their eReader software and it may not be too good an idea to invest too heavily in content from either of those sites. Yes, you can sideload those books on your nook, but it is extremely unlikely that you will ever be able to download that content directly to your nook, and you'll also have to jump through hoops to read it on other devices (such as iPhone, iPad, etc.) unless they do update their software.

B&N owns both companies and it seems that they are intentionally letting them die off instead of supporting them, which is a big shame, especially for old-timers like me  who literally have hundreds and hundreds of eReader and Fictionwise titles.

For the moment, I'm not buying much of anything in ebook form, aside from the Wheel of Time series (currently rereading for the bazillionth time, and so glad to have ebooks because my printed books are literally falling apart) and whatever Elizabeth Moon publishes. I'm lucky to be a SciFi/Fantasy nerd, and the good folks at Baen can keep me completely busy--reasonable prices and no DRM, so I can read on my laptop, nook, iPad, whatever, with no worries about my content being locked into a format I'm eventually unable to read.

I LOVE ebooks and will never stop reading them, but I've seriously cut back on my spending--the agency nonsense has just raised prices to stratospheric levels, and cut down on availability too. Maybe one of these days the ebook industry will be where the music industry already is--reasonable prices and no DRM. DRM doesn't stop piract (most of it is scanning of physical books anyway) and just punishes honest, paying consumers.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean for this to turn into a rant--sometimes I just can't help myself.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
pidgeon92
0 Kudos

It is really sad. I bought about 100 books from them earlier this year, right after I got my nook. The Buywise Club was great; the coupons they sent were great. It's pretty much dead right now. I have about $200 in micropay credits, and I am slowly working through them. I used a bunch last weekend to buy some horror magazines that were in the Anniversary Sale, and a couple of pulp horror novels.

Frequent Contributor
nook_fan
0 Kudos

PocketGoddess wrote:

I'm lucky to be a SciFi/Fantasy nerd, and the good folks at Baen can keep me completely busy--reasonable prices and no DRM, so I can read on my laptop, nook, iPad, whatever, with no worries about my content being locked into a format I'm eventually unable to read.

Thanks for the www.baen.com tip. That is outstanding!

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Don't forget to check out Baen's Free Library as well!!

http://www.baen.com/library/

They actually give away dozens of books for free - loss leaders, to make you want to purchase the rest of the series from that author - those devious geniuses....

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Baen and The Fifth Imperium

[ Edited ]
Rasyr wrote:

Don't forget to check out Baen's Free Library as well!!

And The Fifth Imperium, which hosts Baen's promotional CDs with Baen's blessings. You'll generally need to convert from .LIT to EPUB using Calibre, but there's a huge amount of free Baen work available there.

Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
0 Kudos

A couple of months before planning to buy a Nook, I opened up an ereader.com account and even paid for the club where I'd get extra store credit with each purchase.  I bought several books and it was a hell of a deal.  Basically, everything I bought equaled "buy one get one free" because of the credit. 

As you all know, once we turned the calendar page to April, the "Agency Model" went into effect and eReader.com and Fictionwise (and other discounters) have had an extremely limited selection of popular authors.  I kept waiting for it to get better, but I think they are probably just going to die out.

Since I had about $100 in credit, I was worried about having them suddenly shut their virtual doors and having my credit go to waste, so today I hunted high and low for authors I liked.  I ended up buying several Dean Koontz  and Robert B. Parker books, each costing $7.99.

It is such a shame.  They did a great business, obviously still made money, had wonderful, loyal customers, and the publishers were profiting, too.  And now nobody is happy.  The stores can't get the selection without signing unfair contracts.  The customers feel we're being robbed by virtual knifepoint, the publishers are selling far fewer books (based on what I've read in this forum), and nobody wins.  Except the library, and that's a good thing (at least for B&N and Sony Reader customers).

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

DiAnneInDover wrote:

A couple of months before planning to buy a Nook, I opened up an ereader.com account and even paid for the club where I'd get extra store credit with each purchase.  I bought several books and it was a hell of a deal.  Basically, everything I bought equaled "buy one get one free" because of the credit. 

As you all know, once we turned the calendar page to April, the "Agency Model" went into effect and eReader.com and Fictionwise (and other discounters) have had an extremely limited selection of popular authors.  I kept waiting for it to get better, but I think they are probably just going to die out.

Since I had about $100 in credit, I was worried about having them suddenly shut their virtual doors and having my credit go to waste, so today I hunted high and low for authors I liked.  I ended up buying several Dean Koontz  and Robert B. Parker books, each costing $7.99.

It is such a shame.  They did a great business, obviously still made money, had wonderful, loyal customers, and the publishers were profiting, too.  And now nobody is happy.  The stores can't get the selection without signing unfair contracts.  The customers feel we're being robbed by virtual knifepoint, the publishers are selling far fewer books (based on what I've read in this forum), and nobody wins.  Except the library, and that's a good thing (at least for B&N and Sony Reader customers).

Boy, isn't that the truth!

Reader 4
Anonymous08
0 Kudos

check the list of unavalable fictionwise titles here: 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/nook_full.asp?PID=45600

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Anonymous08 wrote:

check the list of unavalable fictionwise titles here: 

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/nook_full.asp?PID=45600

Fictionwise is pretty much all unavalable now.  This is a two and a half year old thread, fictionwise isn't selling anything now.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716