Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Angelique_Serenity
0 Kudos

Finally Graphic Novels for Nook!

This is something I've been looking for ever since I got my nook. Graphic novels and/or manga available to conveniently carry with me everywhere. It seemed like an ideal pairing considering many graphic novels are printed in black and white...

While the selection seems somewhat limited at this time, we do have a few graphic novels available right now for the nook. I purchased and downloaded Christine Feehan's Dark Hunger to see how the nook would handle it.

Dark Hunger (Dark Series #14)

The first thing I noticed is that the download time was Much longer than for any other book I've downloaded (not surprising considering the file is much bigger than the typical epub). Once downloaded my nook seemed to have trouble opening the file (errors and force close fun). After a couple of tries, the file opens and.....my page counter believes there's only 9 pages to this product. But once I started flipping through the book it seems so far the other pages are included, however they don't display or affect the page counter at the bottom of the nook. Picture quality is what I'd expect from the screen and eink display however the text in some areas is a little difficult to read.

I see this as a positive move for the nook, a way to make the device appealing to an even wider audience and keep the nook competing with other ereaders (sony's ereader already offered graphic novels and manga). However, there are certainly improvements that can be made to improve this and other reading experiences. The often requested Zoom function would make it easier to read graphic novels and look at different illustrations included in other books (such as the illustrations included in the eBook editions of LotR).

Has anyone else found other graphic novels/mangas for the nook through B&N - and if you have, what are your experiences with them?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos
Contributor
Angelique_Serenity
0 Kudos

Re: Finally Graphic Novels for Nook!

[ Edited ]

Did the sideloaded sony have the same issue with the page numbers being off? I'm wondering if that's a problem for epubs with massive file sizes because I've loaded some of my own image intensive files as pdfs on my nook and their page numbers display fine.

Contributor
nanach
0 Kudos

Troublemaker by Janet and Alex Evanovich came out as a graphic novel but I was afraid I would miss out on something if I put it on my Nook since it wouldn't be in color.  So I opted to buy the actual book instead.  It's the first actual hard copy book I've purchased since getting my Nook in February. And I really don't want to buy regular books anymore except for cookbooks. I just love reading on my Nook!

Contributor
Angelique_Serenity
0 Kudos

I understand your concern. When it comes to colored works a computer or the ipad would be more appropriate for viewing the digital editions of them...at least the first time. I'm currently working on taking a colored webcomic I've read and trying to convert it for my nook - it's still readable but it does lose something in the translation.

Frequent Contributor
nekowafer
0 Kudos

The page number issue may be because the pages are split up. I have the Kick-Ass comics on my nook, and I've adjusted them to display on their side.. meaning I have to turn the Nook to read them. Even though I have to 'flick' once to see the bottom of the page, that is still considered one page.

Contributor
Angelique_Serenity
0 Kudos

The page number issue I'm seeing is a little more drastic than that (displays 9 pages, 1-7 are title page, publisher info, table of contents, ect and page 8 seems to be the whole novel - very strange.)

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Don't care so much about page numbering - BUT  Is it too small to read ?  Putting a full page American/English style Graphic Novel page on a nook makes it way too small to read.

PC based reader software specializing in graphic novels (such as CDisplay or ComicRack) get around this by zooming in.  If the page is too big to fit then each "page" turn pans around on the page.  When all has been seen it then goes to the next page.

This ease of use is what the nook needs in order to be a half-decent Graphic Novel reader

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Contributor
Angelique_Serenity
0 Kudos

I have pretty good eyes most days but the text is a little difficult to read. Different shapes and styles of text in different contrasts - it's a little hard on the eyes. BUT since it's B&N offering the material there is a faint glimmer of hope that they will support the product and make improvments for the reading experience

Frequent Contributor
Unburnt
0 Kudos

I loaded Sandman onto my nook to test it. It was almost impossible to read. Manga is slightly easier because of it's smaller size, but the text is still tiny. Nook either needs a way to zoom and slide PDFs like the sony readers, or it needs a slightly larger screen.