Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

First hands on reviews of new NOOK (the nookstr to me) starting to crop up...

[ Edited ]
Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

Re: First hands on reviews of new NOOK (the nookstr to me) starting to crop up...

Thanks for the review! Can't wait though to see the results of the testing for the battery life. I really want one of these but I have a N1E that is still going strong so I'll hold out a lil longer until a price drop for the new one.

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

Re: First hands on reviews of new NOOK (the nookstr to me) starting to crop up...

Thanks for the preview.

It looks like BN has hit the ball out of the park again!

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

CNET has a hands on review up too, and were very positive in theirs.  It will be nicer to see followup reviews with longer term use in the next few weeks and months, but such positive notes with the first devices bodes well.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/barnes-and-noble-nook-wifi-review/

http://gizmodo.com/5807381/barnes-and-noble-simple-touch-nook-review-this-is-the-e+reader-you-want

Both Engadget and Gizmodo seem pleased with it.

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I must stop reading about this new reader! My Nook is less than 6 months old with no problems or issues of any kind. I have no excuse to buy a new one nor can I rationalize it at all. But reading this review did make me drool just a little!

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux

kathylcsw wrote:

I must stop reading about this new reader! My Nook is less than 6 months old with no problems or issues of any kind. I have no excuse to buy a new one nor can I rationalize it at all. But reading this review did make me drool just a little!

Um, you need a backup?  One at home and one in the car?  You could hold one in each hand (with the right hand one a page ahead) and then flip two pages at a time and read it like a paper book?

Just tryin' to help, here.   :-)

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kathylcsw wrote:

Got mine last November and NO problems at all. (drat!) I'm a tech junkie and LOVE my first e-reader experience. Would LOVE this new one, but cannot possibly justify it. And hubby and most of my family all have the N1E already as well (all loved mine and followed suit), so no one to just pass this one off to. I'll have to hold out.

LisaB

Inspired Correspondent
karmamule
0 Kudos

You might be surprised at what a used nook can fetch through craig's list.  Figure out how much you'd have to sell your current one at to feel good about getting a new one then try it out.  Turn down the silly lowball bids you'll get at first and you just may find someone who meets your price.

In that case, you can get yourself a new nook, and if not you're right where you are now anyways, nothing lost other than a few minutes of your time to post a photo and description. 

Regard all phenomena as dreams.
Contributor
Waylay
0 Kudos

I own a Nook 3g Classic, a Kindle 3, laptop, iPhone 4 and an iPad. I use the Nook about 10 times as much any of the others. The way things are looking I will be able to afford to pick up the new Nook :smileyvery-happy: 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

I'm just reading the reviews now and only skimmed this thread. Forgive me if I am repeating someone else.

Over the last 18 months, there have been A LOT of requests that B&N add a way for users to change the order of the page turn buttons. According to the CNet review, you can do just that with this. :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

Over the last 18 months, there have been A LOT of requests that B&N add a way for users to change the order of the page turn buttons. According to the CNet review, you can do just that with this. :smileyhappy:

Very, very nice.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Inspired Contributor
psucutie
0 Kudos

I have the new one in my hands and have been playing with it (also have the 1st gen nook too)

pros:

super thin and light

has a good feel in your hands

touch screen is fantastic

easy set up

are able to change page buttons on side (top or bottom for page forward)

can add nook contacts and see their lendable books

differences from 1st gen nook

wifi only

no airplane mode (just disconnect from wifi I guess)

only screen saver options are authors and nature (I liked the one with the landmarks)

no games

no browser

no removable battery

So far I am liking nook 2.0!!! 

Any questions I am happy to answer for you :smileyhappy:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

psucutie wrote:

I have the new one in my hands and have been playing with it (also have the 1st gen nook too)

pros:

super thin and light

easy set up

differences from 1st gen nook

wifi only

no airplane mode (just disconnect from wifi I guess)

only screen saver options are authors and nature (I liked the one with the landmarks)

no games

no browser

no removable battery

So far I am liking nook 2.0!!! 

I would bet you can sideload additional wallpapers and screensavers like on the Nook Classic...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
kjreads
0 Kudos

Thanks for the preview.

Does it have password protection available - both for turning on and for purchasing   ?

thank you

Karen J

Inspired Contributor
psucutie
0 Kudos

there is password protection for purchasing.  Didnt see any other password options

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

psucutie wrote:

pros:

super thin and light

easy set up

What do you think of the page swiping?  I got the impression from one of the videos that page swiping doesn't work well - you have to tap on the page to get it to turn.

Also, is the shape of the Nook OK - it looks pretty square to me.  Does that make it a problem to hold and operate with one hand?

What do you think of the wide bezel.  Is it too wide?

Thanks for your comments!

Inspired Contributor
psucutie
0 Kudos

1) page swiping works fine.  Since I am used to the buttons on the N1E I am using those for the time being

2)feel in hand is awesome.  Light as a feather and the material feels good

3) bezel is not too wide IMO.  To each their own!

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

The width of the bezel should have been based on feedback from NC owners. I saw a number of reports from people accidently placing their fingers on the touch screen while holding the unit.