Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
JackalopeKing
0 Kudos

Re: First reactions to NOOKcolor

[ Edited ]

Personally, I prefer the original Nook. That's not to say the NOOKcolor isn't a good device, it's just that it doesn't really meet my needs or wants in an eReader. 

• Not fond of the color screen, I like the e-ink screens, they're so easy on the eyes. And what use do I have for color when reading? I don't care about the covers, I care about the text. 
  • Battery life. A few hours shaved off what the Nook can do just isn't appealing. The reason why I bought a new eReader (was previously using an old PALM) was because of the battery. I don't want to take any cuts now.
  • Too many extras I don't really care about - music player, videos, twitter/facebook crap etc. I got an eReader to read not to watch videos or "socialize." 
  • Document features aren't really relevant for me, I don't really have a need to carry those files around. I mostly use my Nook at home, so I can use my computer for that type of thing. 
  • Customizing the background is a new feature? I can actually change my background and screensavers on the Nook. I don't get this highlight of the device. And again, I use my device to read, so I barely see the background as it is. Maybe for all of three seconds while I'm switching to my library to pick a new book. 

The device will be a fit for some, but for me, plain ol' Nook is great! I'm not annoyed with the release either, it doesn't mean the Nook won't be supported anymore or that we have to upgrade. It just means there is another device option for different types of readers out there now. 

On a side note, the only thing I don't like about this device - the comparison page between the Nookcolor and the Nook. It implies that because I prefer the original Nook I don't really like to read much. =\ (and that's not really something against the Nook, just the people in charge of making that page - unfortunately for them I can see through advertising psychology)

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

__AJA__ wrote:

I have to admit, I'm really disapppointed in the Nook Color. I absolute LOVE my nook, and have been saving up B&N gift cards to purchase the Nook 2, but now that it's out, I'll find something else to spend them on. YEah, everyone says it's not a replacement for the nook; it's a completely different device. Seems to me B&N has a bit of market-indecision going on here. From what I can tell, the Nook Color is far inferior to the nook as a pure ebook-reading device (LCD screen, poor battery life) and far inferior to the iPAD (for obvious reasons). So where's the market demand for this? I suspect (my opinion only) that people who are avid ebook readers will be disappointed in it, as will avid tablet users. Is there a niche market for this? Perhaps. Personally, I don't see one. I remain hopeful that B&N will come out with a color version of the original nook, but after releasing this questionable hybrid, I'm no longer sure if they will any time soon. I'll stick with my original nook....and let's all pray that Amazon or Sony doesn't put out an eink color reader that will also read epubs, or, worse yet, also be able to read B&N DRMed epubs (as the nook currently can read Sony DRMed epubs through Adobe DE). If that happens, I'd have to jump the B&N ship and switch, as much as I'd hate to do that....

NOOK 2  isnt here yet so keep saving your gift cards. I think people really need to know that there is no NOOK 2 yet. I dont want to hear all the whining again when they release one next year.LOL

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

If B & N does release another NOOKcolor but only changing it to a Mirasol display will there still be the same negative reaction from NOOK owners?

At the moment my main concern with a Mirasol display is cost. Yes I plan to get a NOOKcolor but will I be disappointed if they come out with another one six months later but it costs x amount more. Unless x < 1.5 then no I won't.

Regarding battery life, anything that is actively using the tablet like capabilities is going to have a reduced battery life compared to the NOOK anyway. However it appears at the moment if they just swap the display in the NOOK for a Mirasol display they may be able to get comparable battery life. That will be the NOOK2 sometime next year. Same form factor, maybe thinner. (Just my prediction.) That will be marketed to avid readers and book buyers.

This is what I think B & N's plans are. They've seen how portably computing has been a boon for Apple with tablets, and e-readers for Amazon. But it's an either or option. The NOOKcolor is right in the middle which I think there will be a larger market. My personal experience has been there is a market of people who are beyond the super social hyper connectivity and full visual game playing and crazy apps. Also for many the cost of an iPad is a little out of price range for practicality. I would venture to say many of there target market has smartphones but find reading on it longer than a few minutes impractical. I can't understand how anyone can even suggest a smartphone as an practical alternative to a NOOK or NOOKcolor for reading anything.

I have a laptop but it's literally falling apart. I would love to be able to sit on the couch and read ebooks or websites comfortably. Using a laptop or netbook is not comfortable for casual reading.

I think the NOOKcolor fits comfortably in this void. B & N seems to be moving towards more a digital media store. I think with their physical store presence and being dedicated to mainly reading media there NOOK product line is a nice complement.

New User
GregFromCos
0 Kudos

Really really disapointed. I'd been holding out for the new nook. Assuming it would be a touch screen e-ink reader. Not a tablet.

LCD takes it out of the reader realm. It's a tablet. My sister has and iPad and a nook and talks about how hard reading is even on that backlit screen on the iPad.

Can't believe someone at B&N thought it was a good idea to spend a year building their next "reader" and then allow it to be glorified LCD.

The color e-ink seems cool. But again, they should have just focused on touch screen e-ink, and skipped the color. That would have been a very nice step forward for "readers".

Again, very very disapointed.

Correspondent
JackalopeKing
0 Kudos

What's wrong with your current device that you are so disappointed by a device for a different group of people?

Frequent Contributor
__AJA__
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

NOOK 2  isnt here yet so keep saving your gift cards. I think people really need to know that there is no NOOK 2 yet. I dont want to hear all the whining again when they release one next year.LOL

I have not seen a single reference to a 'nook 2' in the last six months that has not had to do with the nookcolor. What is this 'nook 2' you keep refering to? People were expecting a color nook 2 and instead got a color nook tablet . . . a completely different animal. That might work for some, and that's great. But for others...not so much. Thus the extreme disappointment. I suspect I'll be using my giftcards for xmas gifts, and i'll be seriously looking at any true ereader that comes to market with a non-LCD color screen. Even if it means jumping to a company locked into proprietary formats? Maybe... 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

BN is not dropping support for the original nook

There is nothing stopping you from buying a nice cheap nook WiFi if you want a great reader that only reads.

Frequent Contributor
__AJA__
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Seems like a lot of people want a great ereader that only reads and yet supports color. That's sort of what they/we expected from all the hype. That's not what they/we got. Hence the disappointment.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT

Actually it is honestly hard to understand. Not the disappointment, but the strong negative reactions to a device thats not marketed to them. If they are disappointed let them be and a reaction of 'Oh it's not for me and not what I was expecting. Bummer.'

The technology specifically the Mirasol displays aren't even available yet and won't be till next year. People's expectation were to high. B & N provided an interim device to stay competitive to the technology to provide what existing NOOK customers want is released. This way they still have some market credibility as trying to be innovative and relevant. They also now have to form factors that the new displays can drop right into. Pandigital and others are bringing dedicated readers and tablet readers to market. Amazons looks like the Kindle is gaining more tablet reader capability. They are trying to compete to.

New User
buffypeterson1
0 Kudos

i'm trying to decide what type of ebook reader to buy.

i want to read library books also.  but my library requires me to read my books online.

can i access the web on the nookcolor and log in to the library website? 

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

__AJA__ wrote:

Anthony1970 wrote:

I have not seen a single reference to a 'nook 2' in the last six months that has not had to do with the nookcolor. What is this 'nook 2' you keep refering to? People were expecting a color nook 2 and instead got a color nook tablet . . . a completely different animal. That might work for some, and that's great. But for others...not so much. Thus the extreme disappointment. I suspect I'll be using my giftcards for xmas gifts, and i'll be seriously looking at any true ereader that comes to market with a non-LCD color screen. Even if it means jumping to a company locked into proprietary formats? Maybe... 

There will be another NOOK. Nookcolor wasnt found out about until days before announcment.The NOOKcolor as I mentioned in my other post, IS NOT a NOOK2. . A nook yes but NOT an updated NOOK from the classic. I dont know why there was disappointment. I have and many others have been saying all along there would be no new NOOK this holiday season.(at least an e-ink version) Color E-ink is not perfected yet. When it is someone will file an FCC. Everyone should have already known that. They expect it to be sometime next year. So Im sure we will get a true e-ink NOOK 2 next year (color or not) or maybe 2012 for a color one. But go ahead and spend your gift cards. Because it just might be a long wait.

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

let me see If I have this straight,  some part time sales clerk , the clerk mind you and not an official spokesperson for BN, said there won't be one.

So should BN have contacted you personally to get your approval on when an appropriate date should be when you will allow them to produce another product?

I'm just trying wrap my brain around your rant.

Frequent Contributor
JoeNook
0 Kudos

overall I'm very impressed with the look, the specs and it's features

very high end

Android 2.1 (Eclair with Froyo next year)

LG IPS 1024 x 600 screen,  that is going to be sweet, this will be sharp and crisp.

Love all the touch screen animations.

The only think I'm worried about is the processer. If they went cheap, then this could be an annoying product.   Too many features for an old processor.  It'll be laggy, jittery, and not smooth.  It will be smooth  at some points but it won't be consistant.

In this day of age people don't want buttery smooth they expect it.   My Droid is really smooth as is the iPhone and iPad.   It doesn't have to be as smooth or buttery but it can't be jittery.

If they cheaped on the most important factor then this will be tough.  The tech blogs and Prof. reviewers from Cnet, Engadget etc will call it out on it's laggy'ness.  I can see David Pogue now for the NYTimes licking his chops.

Now on the other hand if they didn't and have either a 1 gigahertz processor or even just the next one down,  then this is a bona fide winner.

Lets hope for the later.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

__AJA__ wrote:

Seems like a lot of people want a great ereader that only reads and yet supports color. That's sort of what they/we expected from all the hype. That's not what they/we got. Hence the disappointment.

All the hype was not created by B&N,  it was mostly created by rumor,  B&N just announced the Nook color on Tuesday.

Linda

New User
Tisienne_Blue
0 Kudos

Initially, I was a bit thrown, having only purchased my Nook last month. Then I looked at the specs for the NColor and discovered that there are really only two things about it that I find superior to the Nook I already have.

1) the screen is larger (due to no touchscreen at the bottom of the NColor, because the whole thing is a touchscreen), which likely means more words per page, or at least larger print when reading, without having to adjust font size as often.

2) the backlighting really appeals to me. I'm not a huge fan of booklights, so having a backlit screen would be great for me.

That said, the drawbacks (shorter battery life, non-replacable battery, no 3G, etc.) don't make up for what I'd be losing.

I do understand that the NColor isn't meant to replace the Nook and is apparently targeted for a different user-type, and for those people, I'm sure it'll be great. :smileyhappy:

My wishlist for a Nook 2, though, now includes backlighting... preferrably achieved in such a fashing that it can be turned on and off at the user's discretion. I'd love to have a color screen, as well, but it's not really a priority. It would just make me happier to see the covers in color. LOL

Other than that, I have to say that while I do hope for a Nook 2, I also hope it'll be a while before it comes out. I'd like to get at least a year's use out of the Nook I just bought before needing to plunk down another hefty chunk of change for the next one. :smileytongue:

New User
Glenda-NP
0 Kudos

I agree with most of what you said.  I had a Nook a year ago and really liked it EXCEPT that I had to have a light source.  Some friends got together and gave me a first edition iPad as a going away present. . . I moved across country.  I sold my Nook since I had the iPad and could read books on it including my B&N books.  For me the ONLY reason to consider the Nook Color is that I could then check out books from the library for free as well as buy books from B&N.  Apple in its usual egocentric way will not consider making it possible to to check out books from the library (Adobe DE).

Do I miss my Nook?  Yes.

Do I love not needing external light source? ABSOLUTELY YES!!!!!!

Do I wish I could check out books from the library on my iPad like I could on my Nook?  ABSOLUTELY YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do I miss my Nook enough to sell my iPad and buy Nook Color?  Not sure.

Don't know what choice I'll make for the future.  Right now except for the checking out books from the library issue the iPad does everything that the Nook Color can and I expect maybe quite a bit more.

New User
mysteryfan11
0 Kudos

I agree, i was told the same thing. I just bought mine two weeks ago.