Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Chawoobie
0 Kudos

Re: First reactions to NOOKcolor

Looks nice, but I have no regrets about buying my nook 3g a month or so ago.  I'm more interested in book reading than magazine reading, so the color isn't that big a deal to me. Moreover, 8 hours of battery time vs. 10 days doesn't seem like it will win too many people over.

I'm loving my "old" nook and am looking forward to the software update next month.

New User
kepik
0 Kudos

Well, if there's anything that makes me unhappy about nookColor it's because I bought my nook at the full price of $259 back before they dropped the price. Now this version has more functions and is $10 less.  Oh well, I do love my nook even though I paid so much for it.  I would really like to have access to the magazines, though, and also the color screen, but not at the expense of being able to read it outside.  I have to say I really hate my touchscreen phone for that very reason....hard to use out in the sun.

Contributor
drgreen
0 Kudos

CasualFan wrote:

I think this thing is DOA. The true nook 2 will be a color e-ink dedicated ereader.

I agree, the whole value of an e-reader is a reflective surface dedicated to books, thin, small, super low power with a few extras.  There will be significant convergence, but I can see an e-reader (quite low cost/super responsive for a limited E-READER functionality/light and ultra low power) coexisting with a more general tablet (higher cost/performance/run anything).  This must be some kind of intermediate thing to just stay in the game to buy some time in the market for something generally more useful.  Right now it seems to be just a tablet with a reader spin.  That said, I've not looked into it in detail, it's just a first gut reaction.

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

Anyone who has ever bought technology learns release cycles - B&N released the nook "classic" for the 2009 holiday season.  It would only make sense that *if* they were going to update this year, it would be for the 2010 holiday release season.  

(I, for one, learned my lesson when I bought my first iMac a month before the Macworld expo back in 2001.  But it was my own fault for not paying attention to the calendar - not the minimum wage salesperson at CompUSA for not being privy to well-guarded corporate secrets.)

EXACTLY!  Everyone knows that companies release new products for the holiday season, which means anytime after Labor Day.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

kepik wrote:

Well, if there's anything that makes me unhappy about nookColor it's because I bought my nook at the full price of $259 back before they dropped the price. Now this version has more functions and is $10 less.  

Be prepared to be forever disappointed.

Products will always improve.  Prices will always be under pressure.

The only way to avoid being "Unhappy" is to not buy any technology product for the rest of your life.  Of course thats its own special form of unhappiness all by itself.

Look at it this way.  You helped build the new nook.  You helped improve the nook.  Without your support this nook would never have been built.

I remember paying 40 bucks a month for slow slow dial up internet.  I spend about the same for cable, when it was just a little bit faster.  I still spend $30 for much much faster internet.  But I look to Europe and see them paying less than half for 5 times the speed.  Should I disconnect from the net and wait?

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

Check out this chart from B&N: Which NOOK is right for you?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-what-type-of-reader-are-you/379002498/

New User
redheaded_reader
0 Kudos

We found out about this the same time the public did thank you VERY much!  If you ever worked in retail or know anyone who has you will realize they DO NOT let employees know about things as this for fear of leaking out info (correct or wrong) out too soon!  It's technology, this happens.  Look at how many different Kindles there are.  And you bought the Nook because you liked it, the EInk display which will be easier on your eyes in the long run.  The NookColor will be great for some, not all.  If you are an avid reader, which I'd assume you are since you purchased a Nook you will remain happy with yours.

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

There were internet rumors since this summer about a new nook device in the works beyond the standard b&w e-ink, so if you spoke with a store employee they wouldn't know anything officially, but neither were they up to date on the rumors. A little bit of online research might have told you more than any employee would have known.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

redheaded_reader wrote:

And you bought the Nook because you liked it, the EInk display which will be easier on your eyes in the long run.  

THAT is the quote of the day.  

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

I'll be sticking with my trusty e-ink nook and hope the 1.5 update fixes the many limitations.

I much prefer to spend a little extra for color LCD and have real computing power.   My Lenovo S10-3t netvertible with touchscreen tablet works great and does everything my PC does.

This new nook is not on my radar screen, but gives B&N more market to attack.

It does explain why we have waited so long for V1.5 though.

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Frequent Contributor
Rutter9
0 Kudos

Mark_F wrote:

Before I purchase I need to confirm that any book I buy for either devices is available on every device I own and that the nookColor doesn't use any non standard funky format but just simple ePub like the nook and finally that there is some assurances that the nook  will not eventually be supplanted by the nookColor but the nookColor will remain an optional (secondary, alternative) device. 

-Mark

That is correct you can cross platform download your purchases. I currently do it with my regular nook and my android phone

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Rutter9 wrote:

Mark_F wrote:

Before I purchase I need to confirm that any book I buy for either devices is available on every device I own and that the nookColor doesn't use any non standard funky format but just simple ePub like the nook and finally that there is some assurances that the nook  will not eventually be supplanted by the nookColor but the nookColor will remain an optional (secondary, alternative) device. 

-Mark

That is correct you can cross platform download your purchases. I currently do it with my regular nook and my android phone

Not entirely true.  

There is a new class of thing called a nookbook which have audio.  

These pnly play on the nook color  (although I see no technical reason this could not be accomodated), and touch support for interactive features.

See this page:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/compare/index.asp?cds2Pid=35878

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Leapingheart wrote:

Let me be the first one to say it.  I am PISSED.  I mean righteously pissed off.  I just bought my old version 2 months ago after , mind you, i asked the friggin sales person if there was a new version coming out.  She said "oh noooo, this version ($199) is the standard and anything new will simply be a software upgrade".  Well screw you and your nookcolor, BN.  I am so friggen PO'd i could just spit.  I am going to sell this mother on eBay and wait for a crackberry playbook.  You've just lost a customer. I feel cheated and used.  No more BN books for me.

LOL Dude you are a drama queen.(You have to be a teen) This is NOT a new version of the e-ink NOOK.  Its a NOT a new version of the original nook. There will be a new  e-ink Nook soon enough. Everything you buy that is tech related will have a new version within a year. Stop your crying and grow up.

Contributor
Leapingheart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

OK - After my initial feelings of  shock, dismay and betrayal  I've done some research and figured out that the Nookcolor has some major flaws in my book...the battery is NOT replaceable, no 3G and an 8 hour battery.  Yes it would be nice to have color..but guess what.. I WILL wait for another company to come out with a tablet for that feature. I've been through enough phones, PCs, smartphones and all sorts of other electronic gear not to expect customer loyalty from other really big players.  I guess I thought BN was going to be  different.

Please be respectful to fellow posters. 

Please also review our Book Club User Guidelines.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

Now that I have figured out that the Nookcolor is not that big of a deal (8 hour battery??)   I can go back to my life now.  Too bad all the nook geeks out there dont appear to have one.

Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

I knew that when I picked up my Nook last month that they'd be coming up with a new one soon. Actually, I expected it to come out sooner. (That's what usually happens.).

That said, looking at it, I like my Nook as it is. The color cost quite a bit more, battery life is less, etc.

Looking at the "Which type of reader are you" page, I'm reading three books at a time on my Nook, frequently reading when I have a spare moment, etc. According to that page, I should get a color one. I just can't figure out why, since the regular Nook handles that well.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

You are right, I believe, but it's interesting how the old nook is now gone from the bn.com page.
Reader 4
Bood-n-Guts
0 Kudos

Absolutely!  Going by that kind of mentality we'd still be using telephones that have to be cranked before making a call, cars that have to be cranked to start them, and, well, you get the picture.  Either technology moves on or it dies.  Don't like it?  Don't buy anything tech and ride a horse to work.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

rafalweb wrote:
You are right, I believe, but it's interesting how the old nook is now gone from the bn.com page.

Did you miss a smilie-tongue there? Or were you serious?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Jasini wrote:

Looking at the "Which type of reader are you" page, I'm reading three books at a time on my Nook, frequently reading when I have a spare moment, etc. According to that page, I should get a color one. I just can't figure out why, since the regular Nook handles that well.

Yeah, I saw that too.  what a total crock that page is.  I often read three things at once. 

And carry it with me to read in spare moments.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

Just wait for the mirasol screen devices that will soon come out. The c-nook is probably just a stop gap device before the real upgrades come along. Next gen ereaders will have mirasol displays which are being described as a reader's dream, yet allow for full Coleridge and video.