Inspired Contributor
fjrichman
0 Kudos

Re: First reactions to NOOKcolor

That page is obviously designed to drive users to buy the nook color. But the specs page actually shows what the nook has over it's new counterpart color. You can still buy both the e-ink nooks, this isn't a replacement.

Reader
MelloLisa
0 Kudos

TravP wrote:

Check out this chart from B&N: Which NOOK is right for you?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook-what-type-of-reader-are-you/379002498/

lol - I thought I was a regular Nook person, but the comparison makes it sound really boring....!  B&N might want to consider a re-write with a little more love for the eInk nook!  They should mention the battery life and the 3G, for sure.

Lisa

Correspondent
TravP
0 Kudos

A lot of people are saying this isn't as good as a fully functional tablet, and not what they were wanting from a new Nook. I think B&N wasn't trying to make a better iPad or simply upgrade the Nook, but make a sort of hybrid between the two. On the Unbound blog post announcing the Nook Color, they called it a "Reader's Tablet." Many who get an iPad seem to want a replacement for a laptop that can do most of the things a laptop can but more conveniently. It's like a netbook but even more user friendly. You can watch movies, edit files, browse online, and even read ebooks. But iBooks hasn't taken off like they hoped it would, so it may be that an iPad is not the best reading device.

For those who wanted a color e-ink screen, I'm not sure how much of a step up that would be for the Nook besides looking prettier (which isn't all bad, just not a big jump ahead in terms of technology). I'm perfectly happy with my black & white e-ink on my Nook, I only wish that texts and images were more crisp. And it would be nice to have enhanced capabilities in ebooks, like video and audio, and the amazing browsing capabilities that magazines will have on the Nook Color. 

If the Nook Color was just like the old Nook with color instead of black & white, I don't know if I'd be as tempted to get one. But I'm intrigued by the new enhancements. If I had a kid I'd be pre-ordering a Nook Color as soon as I saw the kids books demonstrated. The kids books are something that could really make a difference in a kid's life, much more than tv and Disney.

I'm not ready to get a Nook Color yet, but when the time comes to replace my Nook, I'm gonna look seriously at stepping up to Nook Color because I think it's made primarily for the reader, not the multi-tasker in search of empty entertainment. 

Correspondent
token787
0 Kudos

I was like wow! Then as I kept reading the specs of the Nook-C, it was no biggie.  I thought of my blackberry touch and knew I had the better deal.

Correspondent
Trazy
0 Kudos

I bought the nook last week because it does one thing very well - it simulates the pages of a book.  LCD technology only does this poorly.  These are two completely different products aimed at two different audiences.

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Leapingheart wrote:

OK - After my initial feelings of  shock, dismay and betrayal  I've done some research and figured out that the Nookcolor has some major flaws in my book...the battery is NOT replaceable, no 3G and an 8 hour battery.  Yes it would be nice to have color..but guess what.. I WILL wait for another company to come out with a tablet for that feature. I've been through enough phones, PCs, smartphones and all sorts of other electronic gear not to expect customer loyalty from other really big players.  I guess I thought BN was going to be  different.

But what i have found to be really surprising and a bit sad  is the amount of time some of the bikers, Alcott lovers,Ya - Hoos,  "Dudes" and other assorted geeks spend in this board.  

Now that I have figured out that the Nookcolor is not that big of a deal (8 hour battery??)   I can go back to my life now.  Too bad all the nook geeks out there dont appear to have one.

Why don't you "Dudes"  grow up and get lives.

Hey you are the one who came in with your tirad and than told a poster to "screw you" You are being a drama queen and need to grow up a little, sorry. Im glad you finally figured it out all by yourself and have decided to look elsewhere.

Contributor
icart
0 Kudos

I am sooooo sorry for the customers of B&N that are so mad.  I can assure you, no one (even the store managers) knew this was coming.  We read and listened to the rumors just like everyone else.  We received signage and details AFTER the press release.  Again, I apologize.

As far as the bookseller telling you about no new device....they were "partially" right.  You ARE getting updates and software improvements FREE!  To me...it is a little "common sense" that IF (and they did) B&N comes out with a color version it would HAVE to be a new device.  How do you add "color" in a software update?

I have stated this before...but they really are apples and oranges depending on what and how you read.  Don't be mad or disappointed...you own an incredible device that will expand your reading immensely...enjoy!!!

Correspondent
Jodisims
0 Kudos

Apple goes through the same thing when they have a new product release.  The employees don't know about the new products until they roll up in the truck.  BN employees should not be held responsible for anyone's disappointment.

I agree with most of the posters that this is aimed at a completely different demographic and is not a product that is "comparable" to the nook.  I bought my nook to read.  period.  Reading on the nookcolor would be harsh on my tired eyes.  But that's just me :smileyhappy:

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education ~ Mark Twain

click here for information about sideloading library books
click here to view Nook user guide
kgg
New User
kgg
0 Kudos

Have you seen the new PanDigital eReader? It is powered by B&N but runs Android OS.

Reader
jeb20
0 Kudos

I was too when I first read the announcement. Now that I've had a moment to digest this, there is no reason to be angry.

The nook color is not an e-reader. it's going after newspapers and magazines. In the intro video that I watched, they did not even mention books. Thus, nook color is going after a totally different market. 

If I had to guess, I would say that this is a two product platform for them: a device for books and a device for magazines, newspapers etc. They know that avid book readers are never going to use this thing as their reader. They will update the e-ink nook with the next generation of e-ink, a touch screen and, optional in book advertising to either make the book cheaper or... free.

I don't see consumers of these kinds of products wanting anything more then that. A thoughtful evolution of e-ink devices is were I put my money.

to disregard e-ink as a platform would be suicide and I can promise you that they are SO aware of this. 

Thus, if you are pissed about this new device, don't be. as long as you bought the nook because of e-ink than you have not missed out on anything.

Contributor
bml2k2
0 Kudos

The kids books are the number one reason I want it.  I also like that there will be cookbooks and magazines on it.  Now just to come up with the cash and try to sell the Nook I got in August.  UGH!

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA

I feel the same way about NOOKcolor as I do about the iPad.  A cool toy but who is going to use it?

Not those who are mainly interested in reading.  The NOOK and other eink readers are much better devices and are less expensive.

Not those who are mainly interested in word processing.  A laptop or netbook with their actual keyboards are much easier to use.

Not those who want to play games.  A PC or a game machine are much better devices.

Not those who's main interest is accessing the internet, as PC's are better for most purposes and small cell phones are better for persons on the go.

So you're left with reading books with pictures - children's books - or magazines.  Not a broad market, in my opinion.

Frequent Contributor
JamieOutlaw
0 Kudos

I think it's great for what it is ... I'll be buying one.  I'll keep my "classic" Nook but I'll get plenty of use out of the NOOKcolor.

Frequent Contributor
__AJA__
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have to admit, I'm really disapppointed in the Nook Color. I absolute LOVE my nook, and have been saving up B&N gift cards to purchase the Nook 2, but now that it's out, I'll find something else to spend them on. YEah, everyone says it's not a replacement for the nook; it's a completely different device. Seems to me B&N has a bit of market-indecision going on here. From what I can tell, the Nook Color is far inferior to the nook as a pure ebook-reading device (LCD screen, poor battery life) and far inferior to the iPAD (for obvious reasons). So where's the market demand for this? I suspect (my opinion only) that people who are avid ebook readers will be disappointed in it, as will avid tablet users. Is there a niche market for this? Perhaps. Personally, I don't see one. I remain hopeful that B&N will come out with a color version of the original nook, but after releasing this questionable hybrid, I'm no longer sure if they will any time soon. I'll stick with my original nook....and let's all pray that Amazon or Sony doesn't put out an eink color reader that will also read epubs, or, worse yet, also be able to read B&N DRMed epubs (as the nook currently can read Sony DRMed epubs through Adobe DE). If that happens, I'd have to jump the B&N ship and switch, as much as I'd hate to do that....

Here's a review that reflects some of that sentiment:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/10/27/nook-color-barnes-nobles-wrong-move/

And another that's referenced by the first:

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/10/26/nice-knowing-you-nook/

Let's hope B&N's rush to market doesn't shoot them in the foot....  

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

I'm honestly curious how people keep insisting BN should have used a Mirasol display when they're not even going to be available until February.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

I'm honestly curious how people keep insisting BN should have used a Mirasol display when they're not even going to be available until February.

I think they should have waited for Mirasol before releasing anything.  I assume that is what most of these people are saying...

Frequent Contributor
__AJA__
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Obviously they could not have used the Mirasol display if they weren't available. The question is, now that they've chosen to jump the gun and go with LCD, will we even see a non-LCD color screen from B&N in the near future? Why would they offer 2 versions with color screens...i.e. the nook with a non-LCD and the LCD Nookcolor? Why would they change the Nookcolor from LCD to non-LCD so soon? And you can bet that, in the interim, someone else (Amazon) will come out with a non-LCD color ebook reader and capture the far larger (in my opinion) market of readers who want color, as opposed to those who want color and occasionally read. I do hope things work out for B&N, but I think it was a seriously RISKY move.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

__AJA__ wrote:

Obviously they could not have used the Mirasol display if they weren't available. The question is, now that they've chosen to jump the gun and go with LCD, will we even see a non-LCD color screen from B&N in the near future? Why would they offer 2 versions with color screens...i.e. the nook with a non-LCD and the LCD Nookcolor? Why would they change the Nookcolor from LCD to non-LCD so soon? And you can bet that, in the interim, someone else (Amazon) will come out with a non-LCD color ebook reader and capture the far larger (in my opinion) market of readers who want color, as opposed to those who want color and occasionally read. I do hope things work out for B&N, but I think it was a seriously RISKY move.

Why wouldn't they come out with a color epaper display nook?

Contrary to your belief, BN is not abandoning the ereader market. Nook Color is aimed at getting a completely different audience into BN's products.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

I think they should have waited for Mirasol before releasing anything.  I assume that is what most of these people are saying...

Why not release what they want now?  I truly don't understand all the drama!  Anger, shock and betrayal?  Good grief!    It's an ereader people, not the second coming.    For all those folks who have been wondering where the backlight is,  this is for them.   :-D

Linda

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Which would then cede the market to Amazon. "We have the newest shiniest ereader on the market, theirs hasn't been updated in 14 months!". You can bet Bezos would play that card.

BN had to get something out now before the holidays to remain relevant.

In addition, we have no idea how expensive mirasol displays are going to end up being. For the first generation I would think we're going to be looking at quite pricy, making it less of a mass consumption item that everyone here seems to think it is.