Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
TravP

First reactions to NOOKcolor

[ Edited ]

The Daily on my NOOK just updated, so you can read about the NOOKcolor from the B&N Unbound blog (or you could just read the post here http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Unbound-NOOK-NOOKcolor-and/NOOKcolor-The-Ultimate-Reading-Exp...

I doubt I'll be getting a NOOKcolor in the near future, since I just got a NOOK in August. But I'm still geeking out over the announcement! Here's what I think of the NOOKcolor, off the top of my head:

• I like that it's color, but I'm not sure about the LCD. Is VividView that much different from standard LCD? I dislike that I can't read my NOOK without a light in the dark, but I'm excited for color.
  • I like that it's touchscreen. I'll occasionally tap the e-ink screen on my NOOK thinking it's a touchscreen by accident. It's more intuitive to have a touchscreen on a device with such a small screen. 
  • I still want more periodicals for the NOOK, like Rolling Stone, Newsweek, Wired, Poetry; plus blogs like Huffington Post. I know I can read online, but the web browser's still pretty clunky, especially compared to reading an ebook on the NOOK.
  • I wish they had the "read to me" function for adult books. If I could turn books I read into audiobooks, I would love my NOOK even more. I have audio files loaded on to my NOOK, but I don't really listen to them there. The speakers aren't all that loud, and if I want to carry tunes around I listen to my mp3 player.
  • I think the "read to me" feature for kids is a great way to help kids learn to read. A few live bloggers suggested it's for lazy parents. It's also for kids who want to have read to them the same books over and over and over, or who aren't fortunate enough to have parents who can take lots of time to read to them. It can never hurt to make reading more fun and more accessible to kids. Literacy is the best gift we can give our children.
  • I like that it that you can share quotes on Twitter & Facebook. This will make reading more social, a shared experience, and it can help add some quality content to social network posts. 
  • I like that it plays video, but I don't know if it plays any flash on a website, or if it has to be in an enhanced ebook. 
  • I like that I can carry around my .doc files, although I use OpenOffice, so I'd have to convert files, which I often do to send them to other people, but to have to do that for every file I wanted to manipulate on NOOKcolor could be a lot of work. I don't know if you can create and save .doc files, though it appears you can. That would be great, for taking notes or writing an essay or poem on the fly. Will it be able to support DropBox, so I can sync my .doc files to my laptop. That would be very cool.
  • I don't like that it doesn't have Android Market (I don't think it does). That means I can't throw any app I want, but they have to be preapproved by B&N. As an open source user, I prefer the ability to choose what I want on my machine, not what the manufacturer of my device or system deems acceptable. I'm guessing it will be unhackable as well, and that turns me off. Ideally I could get an Android tablet from somewhere else and put the B&N Android app on it (but then it wouldn't have all the extra bells & whistles of the NOOKcolor either). That way I could have freedom to put what I wanted on my own device that was completely open source. But since Apple is even more closed to open source, and there doesn't seem to be a comparable Android tablet coming to the market anytime soon, if I were to get a tablet I would strongly consider the NOOKcolor. B&N has been pretty good at updating firmware and putting on what customers want, so the NOOKcolor will likely evolve and get better.

What do you think?
Frequent Contributor
Rutter9

Re: First reactions to NOOKcolor

If it's just a shelled version of android it shouldn't be too hard to root it.

Frequent Contributor
tonyabionda
0 Kudos

TravP wrote:

• I like that it plays video, but I don't know if it plays any flash on a website, or if it has to be in an enhanced ebook. 

• I don't like that it doesn't have Android Market (I don't think it does). That means I can't throw any app I want, but they have to be preapproved by B&N. As an open source user, I prefer the ability to choose what I want on my machine, not what the manufacturer of my device or system deems acceptable. I'm guessing it will be unhackable as well, and that turns me off. Ideally I could get an Android tablet from somewhere else and put the B&N Android app on it (but then it wouldn't have all the extra bells & whistles of the NOOKcolor either). That way I could have freedom to put what I wanted on my own device that was completely open source. But since Apple is even more closed to open source, and there doesn't seem to be a comparable Android tablet coming to the market anytime soon, if I were to get a tablet I would strongly consider the NOOKcolor. B&N has been pretty good at updating firmware and putting on what customers want, so the NOOKcolor will likely evolve and get better.

What do you think?

After digging around a while, I found that it's Eclair (2.1) and not Froyo (2.2) so no Flash love on the NOOKcolor.  :smileysad:  Flash is 2.2 and up.  

At $250 it's a lot cheaper than any of the fully functional Android tablets I've seen.  More expensive than the ones that cheap but can't access the Android Marketplace, or the NOOK one though we don't know yet what it'll offer.  It's somewhere in the middle.

I don't think it's a replacement for my original NOOK.  More of a big sister.  Not for everyone, but certainly for some.  I've been looking for an Android tablet and the previous inexpensive offerings were horrible. (You think the original NOOK firmware was unresponsive! HA!)  I can't justify the more expensive options because of how I will use it.

It also helps that I absolutely HATE book lights and switch to my iPod touch when the lights go out.  Totally worth the $250 right there, but I'm weird that way.  This would allow me to switch to NOOKcolor instead.  Original NOOK for daytime, and NOOKcolor for minor web browsing, night time reading, and whatever apps they come up with.  Best of both worlds.

Contributor
CasualFan

I think this thing is DOA. The true nook 2 will be a color e-ink dedicated ereader.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

CasualFan wrote:

I think this thing is DOA. The true nook 2 will be a color e-ink dedicated ereader.

I really hope I don't have to say this again...

NOOKCOLOR IS NOT REPLACING THE OLD EINK NOOK

They are aimed at completely different demographics.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

tonyabionda wrote:

After digging around a while, I found that it's Eclair (2.1) and not Froyo (2.2) so no Flash love on the NOOKcolor.  :smileysad:  Flash is 2.2 and up.  

CNET is reporting that it is going to get Frozen Yogurt next year. Huzzah!

Frequent Contributor
tonyabionda
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

CNET is reporting that it is going to get Frozen Yogurt next year. Huzzah!

Huzzah! Huzzah!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Also seen on Cnet:

Now what is that do you suppose?

Photo from http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-3508_7-10005342-13.html?s=0&o=10005342&tag=mncol;page

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I'm guessing that's the micro SD card slot.  

Distinguished Correspondent
kc5455

I still think this is a great victory for the ebook industry.

Looks like ereaders and ebooks sales will be breaking records these coming holiday months.

I'm really looking forward for my 1.5 update.  It should be awsome!!! 

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”
__Dr. Seuss
Inspired Contributor
Mark_F
0 Kudos

Of course I already have a nook and while I must say that I hope they didn't forgo improving the nook to focus on the color touchscreen market I may still buy this too.

My thinking is that I like both devices but if I had to choose I'd rather have the standard nook for the e-ink screen.  I'd like to see a nook 2 that has improved functionality and features.  In my opinion the standard nook still has a lot of room for improvement.  

Before I purchase I need to confirm that any book I buy for either devices is available on every device I own and that the nookColor doesn't use any non standard funky format but just simple ePub like the nook and finally that there is some assurances that the nook  will not eventually be supplanted by the nookColor but the nookColor will remain an optional (secondary, alternative) device. 

-Mark

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish

[ Edited ]

Leapingheart wrote:

Let me be the first one to say it.  I am PISSED.  I mean righteously pissed off.  I just bought my old version 2 months ago after , mind you, i asked the friggin sales person if there was a new version coming out.  She said "oh noooo, this version ($199) is the standard and anything new will simply be a software upgrade".  Well screw you and your nookcolor, BN.  I am so friggen PO'd i could just spit.  I am going to sell this mother on eBay and wait for a crackberry playbook.  You've just lost a customer. I feel cheated and used.  No more BN books for me.

Really? You believed a salesperson???  Did you do any homework? Any research on your own?  Or are you simply in the habit of asking advice from people who are trying to sell you something?

Pretty dumb and lazy to make a decision based on the word of a person you don't know. 

Employees say what they are told to say.  Even if the salesperson knew of this, which I doubt it, they probably weren't allowed to say anything.

If you had come to this board earlier, you would have learned that there have been rumors circulating for MONTHS now about a new nook

Contributor
Leapingheart
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

.  I did do my HW which is why i still feel betrayed.  Now who's lazy!

Please be respectful to fellow posters. 

Please also review our Book Club User Guidelines.

Your Admin.,

Michael-V

New User
lovestoreadIN
0 Kudos

I just bought a Nook about two months ago.  I'm disappointed that I didn't wait for the color version.  It would be great if there was a way to trade in or upgrade our existing Nooks to a color one.

Contributor
Leapingheart
0 Kudos

Furthermore, I have a life and a job and tons of hobbies which is why i don't have the time that you obviously do the troll around message boards.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Leapingheart wrote:

Let me be the first one to say it.  I am PISSED.  I mean righteously pissed off.  I just bought my old version 2 months ago after , mind you, i asked the friggin sales person if there was a new version coming out.  She said "oh noooo, this version ($199) is the standard and anything new will simply be a software upgrade".  Well screw you and your nookcolor, BN.  I am so friggen PO'd i could just spit.  I am going to sell this mother on eBay and wait for a crackberry playbook.  You've just lost a customer. I feel cheated and used.  No more BN books for me.

Oh grow up.

There are many B&N booksellers on this list that had no idea this was coming.

They were not told about it in advance.  

Those that might have gotten wind of it could lose there jobs for telling anyone.

You run off to Blackberry and let us know just how far in advance you find out about their secret projects.

She told you the truth as she knew it.  There is no e-ink reader coming.  The color nook is not a new version of the existing nook.  Its a totally new product.  

Contributor
Leapingheart
0 Kudos

I agree.  Maybe BN will be nice to us suckers and allow for some sort of upgrade pricing.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JustTrish wrote:

Really? You believed a salesperson???  Did you do any homework? Any research on your own?  Or are you simply in the habit of asking advice from people who are trying to sell you something?.

Besides the fact, do you really expect a large corporation to share such that information (MONTHS EARLY) with retail employees?  I've waited tables, I'm in no way being denigrating, but retail/hospitality is a thankless, low-paying, high turnover field.

The work is difficult, you have to deal with less than pleasant people, you make nowhere nearly enough money for it, you are expected to be available at any second to come into work when a coworker is too hungover to show up (remember, you're still making not enough money), and at any moment the stress level can get to be too much.

If you knew something that a cnet would pay you $$$ for, well, you might sell said info.  Things like this are kept under wraps as long as possible.  Booksellers on this board have told us they didn't know anything, as late as this morning.  *(I am NOT saying that any of our resident booksellers would do so, but we all have had that coworker that we didn't trust as far as we could kick.)*

The bookseller who told you nothing was coming out probably believed it.  She'd have had no reason not to.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

[ Edited ]

Leapingheart wrote:

I agree.  Maybe BN will be nice to us suckers and allow for some sort of upgrade pricing.

What makes you think this is an upgrade?

It has no 3g.

It can only read for 8 hours.

It can't be read in sunlight out of doors.

The battery is not replaceable.

Its not the same product. 

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple

Given the fact that, as of yesterday, the salespeople on this board didn't know that the new nook color was coming out (other than by reading the same rumors we've all been reading, which have only been available for about a week), it's not really fair to blame a salesperson for not being psychic two months ago.

Anyone who has ever bought technology learns release cycles - B&N released the nook "classic" for the 2009 holiday season.  It would only make sense that *if* they were going to update this year, it would be for the 2010 holiday release season.  

(I, for one, learned my lesson when I bought my first iMac a month before the Macworld expo back in 2001.  But it was my own fault for not paying attention to the calendar - not the minimum wage salesperson at CompUSA for not being privy to well-guarded corporate secrets.)