Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

Re: Fluff

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Re: [OT] Apostrophes

The blame for this one is squarely on me, I'm afraid. I haven't even read the book you reference, and have always made this error.

So sorry to offend.:smileyhappy:

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873)
~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Correspondent
Doc_Nukem
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

love_my_karma wrote:

Yes, I had to poke the hornet's nest today.

Aargh. The editor at Random House who chose the American title for Stieg Larsson's third book should be strung up by his thumbs. How can an editor not know how to use an apostrophe correctly?

A hornet's nest is a nest for a single hornet. Bloomin' unlikely. It should be hornets' nest.

Now everyone's going around putting the apostrophe in the wrong place. It's like when Mazda came out with the "Millenia" and suddenly nobody could spell millennium correctly.

Dear Random House, you might find this book helpful, even if it is published by Penguin:

Eats, Shoots and Leaves

Maybe karma was just referring to Doug (singular) as the hornet?

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

love_my_karma wrote:

I got all excited when I saw this thread about fluff. I thought maybe we were discussing our favorites; marshmallow fluff, bunny fluff, fluffy slippers.

Maybe a more descriptive title like "I'm sick of the fluff on the boards" would have alerted me that it was a rant.

Yes, I had to poke the hornet's nest today. It's the place I'm in right now.:smileywink:

Hey!  :smileysurprised:

No making fun of my message title!  

I think I was in that hornets' nest this morning when I posted the original message.  

►Without order there is chaos◄
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

love_my_karma wrote:

I haven't even read the book you reference, and have always made this error.

So sorry to offend.:smileyhappy:

I'm sure you've seen the cover over and over in the past few months. It's been at the very top of all of the bestseller lists.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Trilogy Series #3)

No offense taken. It's Random House who has annoyed me on this one, because there's simply no excuse for an editing error to make it onto the cover, especially of a guaranteed best-seller. (They did manage to spell millennium correctly, though!)

Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

I have seen the books advertised, almost to the point of not even wanting to read them. If anything, the title would have only reinforced my apostrophic (you like that? I don't know if it's a word, but I like it) error. 

In any case, I know better now, and will endeavor to not repeat my mistake.:smileywink:

~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Conniecats wrote:

I gotta say...that's so awesome!

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Aargh. The editor at Random House who chose the American title for Stieg Larsson's third book should be strung up by his thumbs. How can an editor not know how to use an apostrophe correctly?

A hornet's nest is a nest for a single hornet. Bloomin' unlikely. It should be hornets' nest.

Well, it COULD be referring to the queen hornet, assuming that she owns the whole thing. :smileyhappy:
Any more, I'm just so happy to see someone use an apostrophe to indicate a possessive and not a PLURAL :smileymad: that I probably don't pay enough attention to which side of the "s" it's on.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
Lynns_Nook
0 Kudos

Sometimes I wonder if the book stores will ever get past that series of books. I will never read them simply because I'm so sick of seeing them for so long.
But, if anyone thinks this is a nest of hornets they should read the Kindle discussion at Amazon. It's much nicer here.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Doubly annoying, as the british version is correct.  And was released first, which means that Random House had to actively change it to be wrong.  

Correspondent
Grammaknits02

ABthree wrote:

There are still lots of good conversations about books and baseball to be had, and lots of newbies to be helped who have real questions, and aren't just looking for the backlight on an e-ink display! :smileyvery-happy:

I agree!!!  Actually-- I found the backlight!!!!  Redrapier told me to look behind the couch--I looked---and there it was!!!!:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

ABthree wrote:

Any more, I'm just so happy to see someone use an apostrophe to indicate a possessive and not a PLURAL :smileymad: that I probably don't pay enough attention to which side of the "s" it's on.

No kidding!  It's a constant battle with some students reminding them that plurals DO NOT have apostrophes unless they are showing possession.   However, I think some adults are even worse, and when you see plurals in newspapers and billboards....urgh.

Yes, I'm shouting on the "do not".

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

gqb wrote:

However, I think some adults are even worse, and when you see plurals in newspapers and billboards....urgh.

There's a posting on The Rejectionist's blog from December 11, 2009 that is priceless. Wish I could link to it. Find the blog and click on the label "high fullutent" (yes, it's spelled that way) and scroll down 'til you see the picture.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos
Correspondent
love_my_karma
0 Kudos

Re: [OT] Grammar/spelling

I love Allie and her quirky way of seeing things.lol

~ Louisa May Alcott ~
Correspondent
chefclaire

[ Edited ]

gqb wrote:

ABthree wrote:

No kidding!  It's a constant battle with some students reminding them that plurals DO NOT have apostrophes unless they are showing possession.   However, I think some adults are even worse, and when you see plurals in newspapers and billboards....urgh.

Yes, I'm shouting on the "do not".

The improper use of apostrophes is probably my number one grammar pet peeve.  I get soo sick of seeing holiday cards signed (often preprinted even,) saying

"Happy Holidays from the Miller's" etc. UGH!

And the condo development my hubby's condo (now a rental unit for us) is in is the Villas of Grey Hawk, (First of all, stupid name for a development, but I digress..) But the big stone sign leading up to it is carved out and says "Villa's of Grey Hawk".  When he used to live there, every time I went running in the neighborhood I would run by and stop to stuff twigs, pine needles, etc. into the apostrophe to fill it in so it would not be visible.  Too bad it never lasted for more than a couple days before the wind or rain would clear it out. I wonder if I'd get arrested for vandalism if I got some beige colored caulk and filled it in.  Is it vandalism if you are correcting a grammatical error?:smileysurprised:

Frequent Contributor
edUcateMS

Re: [OT] Grammar/spelling

I have laughed so hard at that website.   I think I'm going to use it next time I have a desire to rant at my class for use of the word "alot".   I love my alot.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

ABthree wrote:

@AlanNJ

Glad to see you back -- I've missed you. :smileyhappy:

I pretty much agree with you, as I'm sure you've figured out from the vexed tone of some of my recent posts.  But I think that if we follow the good advice we all gave each other -- LOL! -- on the "Take Back the Boards" thread, all will still be well.

There are still lots of good conversations about books and baseball to be had, and lots of newbies to be helped who have real questions, and aren't just looking for the backlight on an e-ink display! :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks for the welcome home my friend... :smileyhappy:

It's just frustrating being away for a while and coming back to what I've seen.  I guess if I was around on a continual basis the change wouldn't have hit me so hard... 

LOL  Yes, it would!  :smileywink:

Welcome back!

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

chefclaire wrote:
 Is it vandalism if you are correcting a grammatical error?:smileysurprised:

In other words, does the grammar police outrank the regular police?  Oh, the number of signs I've wanted to change!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

gqb wrote:

chefclaire wrote:
 Is it vandalism if you are correcting a grammatical error?:smileysurprised:

In other words, does the grammar police outrank the regular police?  Oh, the number of signs I've wanted to change!

Quite frankly, I'm just thrilled the boards are in english and not "text."  :smileywink: