Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
GodsAgent
0 Kudos

Former Homicide Detective turned author releases nook-book...

Walking Among the Dead

There are no scripts, television cameras, or high paid actors that can capture the real life essence of a homicide detective in Walking Among the Dead: True Crime Stories From A Homicide Detective. Experience murder and death investigations first hand as former homicide detective Ken Lang takes you from the crime scene into the interrogation room of some of the most intriguing true crime cases ever. As he unravels these mysteries, experience the drama and adrenaline rush of hunting down these killers that most homicide detectives thrive on.

Ken Lang
creating moments...
Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

Re: Former Homicide Detective turned author releases nook-book...

Call me a troll if you want but I don't feel it is right to profit from the suffering of others. It does not seem like the Christian thing to do.
Wordsmith
Tweedledee

[ Edited ]

The guy is advertising a book that he published - if you object to the content, don't buy it.  He is writing about what he knows, apparently he investigated homicides.

In my eyes he did God's work and spoke for the dead.  Telling the story has nothing to do with Christianity or lack of Christianity, or for that matter unduely profiting. 

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Wordsmith
Sardonicus

earthangelrn2003 wrote:
. . . I don't feel it is right to profit from the suffering of others. It does not seem like the Christian thing to do.

I concur.

The Wrigley Family profited from the suffering of Cubs' fans for years and years.:smileysad: 

I will never forgive them, for they knew what they had done.:smileyindifferent:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

Sardonicus wrote:

I concur.

The Wrigley Family profited from the suffering of Cubs' fans for years and years.:smileysad: 

I will never forgive them, for they knew what they had done.:smileyindifferent:

LOL  Is it really suffering, though, when the sufferer loves the pain, enjoys the pain, even asks for the pain?
Is the sadist making the masochist suffer, or just making his day?  :smileywink:
+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT

earthangelrn20…  Not really helpful to leave a negative review on the purchase page when you have not read the book.

I bought the book and hope to read it soon. I do appropriate reading most genre written by experts in the subject matter. 

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

[ Edited ]

@ABthree

In the case of the Cub's Fans.......making his day...... :smileyvery-happy:

I love the Cubs, root for the underdog in everything I do, they are the epitome of "Underdog", so my prescribed masochism dose is fulfilled by that action alone. 

No need to further beat myself up in other areas of the world.  :smileysurprised:

Although this board is beginning to meet the needs of a confirmed masochist, quite handily I might say.  IMHO

Heck....I have had my collander out for days, it has been put to good use  :smileyvery-happy:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote:
LOL  Is it really suffering, though, when the sufferer loves the pain, enjoys the pain, even asks for the pain?
Is the sadist making the masochist suffer, or just making his day?  :smileywink:

ROFL

That's deep . . . and not just knee-deep.

No fair trying to make me think on a Sunday!:smileyvery-happy:

Now, where were we?:smileyhappy::smileyvery-happy::smileyhappy:

Oh yeah . . .

Former Homicide Detective turned author releases nook-book . . .

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan

[ Edited ]

The author's credentials speak for themselves. 

I just purchased a copy, Ken, and look forward to reading it! 

Good luck with your Nook sales. :smileywink:

@earthangelrn20..., IMHO, posting your personal judgement of the author's topic as a 'book review' is not very Christian either.  :smileysad:

ABthree

@Sardonicus

Look at the bright side:  if you were a Sox fan, your head would have exploded!  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
Tweedledee

[ Edited ]

@earthangelrn20

OK that does it, you left a rotten review on an author's selling point that was predicated on your "belief's" without reading, or having an understanding of the loss of a family member from a murderer - just how Christian is that in all aspects of the above??

I for one want the story told, so please do not assume you know how we feel.

Jeez - do you think that you are the only one with "God" in your life, if it were not for a few very dedicated "Gods" agents, the culpable party would never have been brought to justice.   You assume and presume far to much in the name of the victim's families, please do not do it on my behalf. 

No punches pulled, it this offends, oh well.

Bertrand Russell
ABthree

[ Edited ]

@Tweedledee

You're so right. :smileyvery-happy:

Trashing a book on the boards without reading it is one thing -- that's dumb, but it's just give and take, and people here know how to evaluate it.

Trashing a book without reading it on the Product Page, to damage its reputation with the general public, is lower than whalepucky ... which is, as we all know, on the bottom of the ocean. :smileywink:

The fact that the new Book Critic is one of the devotees of the infamous "Etiquette" thread adds a heady dash of hypocrisy to the already strong brew of downright meanness.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

That was a review that begged to be tagged as 'Not Helpful' and reported, which I did.

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley

earthangelrn2003 wrote:
Call me a troll if you want but I don't feel it is right to profit from the suffering of others. It does not seem like the Christian thing to do.

You posted a one-star "review" on the book's selling page without having read the book. So, is that a "Christian thing to do"?

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

sygram wrote:

That was a review that begged to be tagged as 'Not Helpful' and reported, which I did.

Didn't think of that, Sygram.  Good idea.:smileyhappy:  I'm on it.:smileyindifferent:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Walking-Among-the-Dead/Ken-Lang/e/2940012208033

- Randall Jarrell

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

I for one also found it unhelpful, and flagged it as outside the terms of use.

If you did not read the publication, you have no valid reason for proffering a review of the material predicated on your narrow scope of the way the world should be according to what ever set of precepts you subscribe to.

Bertrand Russell
ABthree

Sardonicus wrote:

sygram wrote:

Didn't think of that, Sygram.  Good idea.:smileyhappy:  I'm on it.:smileyindifferent:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Walking-Among-the-Dead/Ken-Lang/e/2940012208033

Same here -- thanks!  Six people so far.

-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

earthangelrn2003 wrote:

Is being judgemental without a firm basis a Christian thing to do?  Just wondering since I am not Christian and this could be a learning experience for me...

►Without order there is chaos◄
ABthree

AlanNJ wrote:

Is being judgemental without a firm basis a Christian thing to do?  Just wondering since I am not Christian and this could be a learning experience for me...

Well, here's what Jesus had to say about it, so you can ... judge ... for yourself :smileyhappy::

1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged.2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?4 How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. (Matthew 7:1-5)

-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Tweedledee wrote:

I for one also found it unhelpful, and flagged it as outside the terms of use.

If you did not read the publication, you have no valid reason for proffering a review of the material predicated on your narrow scope of the way the world should be according to what ever set of precepts you subscribe to.

I also flagged the review.  I'm not even sure I will buy the book but it's certainly not fair to judge a book without reading it.   Everyone deserves at least a fair chance except people making judgements without basis.  They deserve nothing except scorn and derision.

►Without order there is chaos◄