New User
luv2read127
0 Kudos

Free Books?

Where did all the free books go?  I used to search by typing in $0.00 and get pages of free books...now only about three books show up, all with dollar amounts??

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Re: Free Books?

On the website or the nook? I just tried it on th e wesite and it's showing 1, 830, 850 results. i only scrolled through the first page and they're all free. 

I jus ttried it on the Shop on the nook and you're right. There are 3 books (that all cost money) about how to get free books for the nook. :smileyvery-happy: I don't think I've ever searched 0.00 on the nook shop. Did it work there before? I like to browse the books on the website. I've only bought books on the nook if I already knew what I wanted or the Free Friday book. I have browsed through some of the categories but never did a search.

Fran

Reader 4
Newshadow
0 Kudos

I noticed last night that the 0.00 wasn't working anymore from the nook shop. Still works on the website though. I hope BN fixes the problem soon. I would like to search for new reads without having to rely on my computer.

Contributor
gintzj
0 Kudos

working last night and this moring and i just tried it and it is woking great.

i have the nook wifi

jim

Reader 2
Lynne_Irois1983
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem....no free books.

Has anyone tried to check out ebooks @ the local library yet?

Contributor
RandyS308
0 Kudos

Haven't tried the nook store yet, but there's still large numbers returned searching on 0.00 on the web site.

Lynne - bought my wife a Nook a little over a week ago. It works great for getting books from the local library.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

C. Sagan
Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

Not sure why anyone is having a issue finding the free books when searching.  Though here's a link in the NookBook Discussion on a lot of Free Books being offered. The thread is quite long an it is advisable to go to end and read backwards.  It being maintained by a couple regular members one is Doug_Pardee.  Quite a few books there and one thing to remember most of the books are only offered for a few days to only a few hours so it best to check regular.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT...

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

03FLHT2 wrote:

Not sure why anyone is having a issue finding the free books when searching.  Though here's a link in the NookBook Discussion on a lot of Free Books being offered. The thread is quite long an it is advisable to go to end and read backwards.  It being maintained by a couple regular members one is Doug_Pardee.  Quite a few books there and one thing to remember most of the books are only offered for a few days to only a few hours so it best to check regular.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-OT...

I think they are talking about the big complete list at B&N. I tried from my nook and got nothing too. That was about 6 pm yesterday and have not tried since. wifi/3G if that makes any difference, and tried from 3G while getting my hair done.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

try searching on "Free" rather than "0.00"

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Contributor
Lax_Goalie
0 Kudos
Contributor
Lax_Goalie
0 Kudos

I forgot, for those of you who might read in French as I do....

http://gallica.bnf.fr/editors?type=books&lang=FR

Cheers!

Lax_Goalie

Reader 4
Geistjaeger
0 Kudos

Another place you might like to check is:

http://www.inkmesh.com/free-ebooks

Some times you have to cull through what might be considered questionable content, but that is true of any book source.

Enjoy!

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

I've gotten several books from the library - the only thing I don't like is that I can't return audio books early and I'm only allowed three checkouts at a time.  Having a book I've finished listening to preventing me from getting something else out is frustrating.  I also usually leave one slot open in case a book from my hold list becomes available.

Contributor
Lax_Goalie
0 Kudos

Here's an idea, at many library you can get an "out of town" membership, usually it's a bit more than the regular annual membership but it pays for itself in no time.   I would suggest you check their e-catalog before buying but it's usually well worth it.

Cheers!

Lax_Goalie

B&N Bookseller
miffy1157

you now have to type '0.00 fiction'. so just try adding a subject.

- Caitlin
Scribe
frantastk

GetLostInABook wrote:

I've gotten several books from the library - the only thing I don't like is that I can't return audio books early and I'm only allowed three checkouts at a time.  Having a book I've finished listening to preventing me from getting something else out is frustrating.  I also usually leave one slot open in case a book from my hold list becomes available.

The Free Library of Philadelphia will give non residents a card for $15 a year. You don't have to go in person to ge tthe card, it's all by mail. They have tons of books and you can check out 10 at a time. If you live in PA it's free. They are my almost local library. My local local library lets you check out 8 items at a time.

Fran

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

The Free Library of Philadelphia will give non residents a card for $15 a year. You don't have to go in person to ge tthe card, it's all by mail. They have tons of books and you can check out 10 at a time. If you live in PA it's free. They are my almost local library. My local local library lets you check out 8 items at a time.

Fran

It's now $35 a year for non-residents, according to the website.

I was discussing ebooks and non-resident cards with a local librarian, and she said they are hearing that libraries are likely to deny non-residents from taking out ebooks, because of the new loaning caps. She said some libraries in Florida have already done that, and New York Public Library system no longer has non-resident cards. :smileysad:

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

miffy1157 wrote:

you now have to type '0.00 fiction'. so just try adding a subject.

Thanks for that, I was starting to believe nobody bothers to read what the thread they are replying to is about. This should answer the OP question.:smileyhappy:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Serendip wrote:

It's now $35 a year for non-residents, according to the website.

I was discussing ebooks and non-resident cards with a local librarian, and she said they are hearing that libraries are likely to deny non-residents from taking out ebooks, because of the new loaning caps. She said some libraries in Florida have already done that, and New York Public Library system no longer has non-resident cards. :smileysad:

Ah, that's a very recent change for the Philly Library, then. Bummer. Still, if someone doesn't have a local library that loans ebooks $35 is still a pretty good deal if they read a lot. I'm a state resident so I can check out books at any PA library, though so far Philly is the only one that hasn't required me to show up in person to get a library specific card. Most PA libraries use your local card for check outs but you need a library specific card to check out their electronic collection. I did try to get a library card in Delaware as my husband works for the state of DE but they said no non-resident cards. My husband was going to ask someone higher up why state employees who live across the border can't get a card, but frankly the selection sucks so I told him not to worry. 

Fran

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

frantastk wrote:

I did try to get a library card in Delaware as my husband works for the state of DE but they said no non-resident cards. My husband was going to ask someone higher up why state employees who live across the border can't get a card, but frankly the selection sucks so I told him not to worry. 

Fran

Presumably because you don't pay taxes in Delaware.