Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
gab26
0 Kudos

Free books

Sorry for the newbie question.  How are free books made available in the Nook Simple Touch?  I have heard there is one every Friday.  Can I download books from past Fridays?  Thanks!

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

Re: Free books

I have a Nook color and you can shop on your nook and search for 0.00 and all free books will pop up.  also there is a free book every Friday and you can just go to shop on Friday and it should be featured or a suggestion.  If you can't find it there I always go to the Nook Facebook page and it always tells what is free on Friday.    Hope this helps

Contributor
rcwidow

Free books

Books are usually free for a limited time.  The best place to find them is here:  http://the-cheap.net/category/freebies/

Enjoy!

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

gab26 wrote:

Sorry for the newbie question.  How are free books made available in the Nook Simple Touch?  I have heard there is one every Friday.  Can I download books from past Fridays?  Thanks!

I make all my purchases from this website. The next time the nook is sync'd new purchases will show up on your nook.

Free Fridays are limited time offers. Sometimes, like last Friday, the ebook was only offered free for one day. Other times the ebook may be available free for days, weeks or months.

Free Friday books are posted in this blog;

The Nook Blog

Pink_Maiden and other members are keeping track of free ebooks from larger pulishing houses in this thread (The current list is at the bottom of page 85 in that thread.);

Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread

The list of free nookbooks by category can be found here;
Free-eBooks

On this website or on your nook you can shop for free nookbooks by title by typing in 0.00 <subject> in the search field. For example; 0.00 Adventure

Inkmesh.com attempts to list free ebooks as they become available and provides linkbacks to the retailers making the offer. BN.Com is one of the retailers Inkmesh monitors.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Wow, great response gstone!  Thanks for filling people in on the Free NookBook Summary Thread!

Pinky

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden

Here are more places I like to get Freebies!!!  You already have several I check listed, just thought I would throw a few more places your way, enjoy!

Books on the Knob - Books on the Knob usually has some neat items that sometimes are only available for a short time.

Inkmesh - Inkmesh keeps a good running log of ALL of the free ebooks out there.  Sometimes her prices are off, she will list a book for free at Sony and then for a price at B&N or Smashwords when in fact if you search for the book at these places it will be free too.  I always check at the place where I want book from, not just follow the links that she has listed.

I like manybooks.net for my selection of classics.  I think I like the format and their selection is so big.

Feedbooks.com - A lot to choose from here, they have free public domain and free original ebooks.

Joshua Graham -- great site, he gives away free ebooks once a week!

Free-ebooks.net -- The name says it all, lol

GetFreeebooks.net -- Another one with a name that that says it all!

http://www.epubbooks.com - Lots of public domain, lots of genres.

http://girlebooks.com -- classics by women

http://www.munseys.com -- Kind of like Project Gutenberg

Wowio -- They have romance and a few others free

View Cafe -- just a little shop

Audio books for free -- This is a pretty neat site

Phoenix Pick -- I don't know what genre you are in to, but this one is mainly science fiction, you can get a free ebook each month

University of Chicago Press -- Another site that gives away a free ebook a month

Interweave -- This is a neat site -- "You can get tons of creative ideas, detailed instructions, and an array of free projects from the Interweave world- renowned experts." 

Carina Press -- If you sign up with them for their newsletter, sometimes they will send you links for a free book!

Hongkait - This is a site that will show you links to many places to get free ebooks :smileyhappy:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Main_Page - Wiki also covers other areas that some of the other freebie sites don't, scroll down the page just a little bit and you will see their "sister" & main catagories!

If you would like to have a list of the publishers that I check here at B&N, please PM me.

Have fun!

Pinky

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Of course, everyone will have a few more to share.

Baen Books -- Has a free library of excellent Science Fiction besides their retail offereings