Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Fun at the "Mothership"

I went to my local B&N store today; I call it the "mothership". Of course I took my little nook with me and was able to get the free copy of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. I know the book is public domain but this version is nicely illustrated and the ebook type setting was really nice. So it'll be a much more enjoyable reading experience for me.

Anyone out there planning on going to the mothership to look for nook covers... good luck. The dude at the service desk said he was thinking it might be some time at the start of April for all the goodies. But he also said he didn't really know when they would come in.

Yes, if you take you nook to the mothership all the aliens in there will look at you funny. You can tell they want to come over to sneak a peak.

fyi - my mothership is the one in Honolulu at Ala Moana. 

Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Re: Fun at the "Mothership"

"Book Off" at Ala Moana and Pearlridge has nice selections of used books and music.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Inspired Contributor
GeoffreyF
0 Kudos

I think your problem may be relatively local.

At B&N in the Boston area (Burlington, MA and Nashua NH) they have the entire line of Nook things as well as Nooks themselves off the shelf and ready for impulse purchase.

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

The B&N in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida also has a full line of nook accessories, along with nooks themselves.  I agree that it depends (for whatever reason) on the store itself.

Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

I guess that's what I get for having my local mothership on an island in the middle of the pacific rather than on the mainland. 

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

It's not a matter of you being in Hawai'i, it's a matter of B&N sending the accessories to their "bigger" (higher sales) stores first. My store is right outside Philadelphia, and we aren't due to get our accessories until April, either. Hang in there... they'll show up eventually!

Frequent Contributor
DenisePW
0 Kudos

Oh, I wouldn't say it's that you're in the middle of the Pacific, I tend to think it's the management of local stores or even regional management.  None of the stores in the local NYC metro area (NORTH of the city, Westchester Cty or CT) seem to have either More in Store working or Nook accessories.  And no one there seems to have any idea when More in Store will work or if accessories will ever be available. 

D

Frequent Contributor
elsie_kev
0 Kudos

I went to tne B&N in Burlington, MA last week, and they had everything. I went to the B&N in Holyoke, MA yesterday abd they had nothing. The clerks did not have that much experience with them.

Contributor
MechaNab
0 Kudos

My closest B&N has had exactly one cover in for the last few weeks. In hot pink. I'm sure someone will ultimately buy it just out of frustration.

Contributor
scot30
0 Kudos

I agree that you being in Hawaii has nothing to do with your store not having accessories.  My closest B&N at Triangle Town Center in Raleigh, NC has no nook accessories yet.  They have a sample nook out that you can play with, but no nooks out on a shelf anywhere that you can just pick up and buy.  I had to go to a register and tell them that I wanted to buy a nook.  I then had to wait at least 5 minutes (if not longer) for someone (I'm assuming a manager) to go to the top secret undisclosed "nook stash" location to get a nook and bring it over to me.  I haven't been to other B&N stores in the area (we have several), but the B&N web site shows that none of them have any accessories in stock.  The accessories I've bought so far have been purchased on the B&N web site.

Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lots of nooks & assessories here in Houston Tx, I'll swap places with the poor soul in Hawaii :smileyhappy: 

N1E - HD+ soon ?
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

I guess that's what I get for having my local mothership on an island in the middle of the pacific rather than on the mainland. 

I'll swap problems with you.

I'll live in Hawaii and *you* get nook covers easily.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Contributor
BeckyAK
0 Kudos

Rav_Bunneh wrote:

I feel your pain! I'm in Alaska and things take a bit longer here too. I think location is a factor for those not on the mainland, but I think the store might also have something to do with it since our B&N got their stock in Feb. Things are way different when you're not on the continental US.

Reader 4
InkLvr75
0 Kudos

Where in Houston are the accessories?

I can only find them in Champions and Baybrook.  Please tell me where else.  None of the B&N employees have any idea when they will receive them in their 'smaller' stores.

Thank you.

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Champions had them all when I was there.

You need more than two stores?

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Distinguished Scribe
sub_rosa
0 Kudos

Took my Nook out to the local B&N store today for the first time - connected to the B&N wifi network easily, and downloaded the free Alice In Wonderland book.  Very nice edition - everyone should go pick it up.

Don't buy from Random House, Macmillan, or Penguin until the agency model is COMPLETELY dead.
Frequent Contributor
clka
0 Kudos

I also headed out to B&N today to get Alice; got the download and also used the coupon on the nook to purchase the leather bound version.  I liked knowing ahead of time what was going to be available for more in store - they successfully tempted me to go spend my money!

I was hoping to find accessories, but no luck.  Eventually I may want to change my back or my cover, but want to check them out before buying anything else.  The clerks had no idea when they may be available. 

Cheryl

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

That's funny -- I said to my boyfriend when we were in B&N the other day, "Time to let my nook talk to the mothership."  :smileyvery-happy:

I downloaded the Alice ebook, and it is a very nice version.  No accessories available here in the Detroit suburbs either.

Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

Our little nooks love beaming things from the mothership.

Open the pod-bay doors Hal.

Contributor
agengr2004
0 Kudos

I went to the big La Cantera store here is San Antonio last weekend and they had a few things.  Two or three covers and a couple of random accessories.