Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JustReadItCLK
0 Kudos

Gift Card Issue

I have 3 gift cards on my account and have purchased several books since Christmas Day (I asked for B&N gift cards).

None of the books i've purchased have come off the gift cards.  The books are all being charged and taken out of my checking account (credit card/debit card on file).

What's up with that???

Contributor
Msmusicteacher
0 Kudos

Re: Gift Card Issue

I'm having the same problem.  I've only had one purchase actually come off of my gift card out of the five books that I've purchased in the last two days.  Hopefully this is some kind of glitch that they will get fixed soon.

Reader 2
nookreaderKL
0 Kudos

Same problem here. I have ordered 3 books and only show that one was paid for on the giftcard.   I also show that my account has the very same nookbook ordered twice which is wrong.   It only shows up in my library one time so I hope I don't get charged for it twice.

Frequent Contributor
SantaFeSue
0 Kudos

At top of B&N screen, click "My Account".  Look for heading "Account Settings".  Under "Gift Cards/Certificates" click "Manage Gift Cards for eBooks" and register your gift cards with pin number.  Books you've already purchased will be billed to your credit card, but future purchases will be deducted from gift cards as long as there is balance remaining.

New User
errouse123
0 Kudos

I added 2 gift cards to my account, ordered a book and it still didnt use my gift cards. also took 12 hours to download. Maybe more traffic than usual?

Frequent Contributor
Zion21
0 Kudos

I would call their customer suppot as soon as possible. Matters like this are very difficult to get fixed through their website or e-mail.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

errouse123 wrote:

I added 2 gift cards to my account, ordered a book and it still didnt use my gift cards. also took 12 hours to download. Maybe more traffic than usual?

I purchased 2 books today and got one free book and they downloaded in about 3 minutes and 3 hours ago.  It hasn't taken an money from the gift cards but neither has it charged my credit card, but I was able to get the books downloaded and opened.

I would suggest calling Customer Service -- 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), Option 2, Digital Support.

Contributor
ker5025
0 Kudos

Same thing happened to me.  I bought three books, two went onto the gist card and the last was charged to my credit card (even though there was enough on the gift cards for it).  I called CS and they said that they returned the book (bc I hadn't opened it on my nook yet) and that the $5 should be returned to my card.  However, I have yet to see it returning to my card - so I opened it bc I wanted to read it - I have no idea what will happen now.

Also, my mom bought a book, it should have gone onto her gift card, but it has yet to be charged to the gift card or her credit card.

I have no idea what has been going on w/ their website / nook store these last few days (i assume server overload), but you would think that they would anticipate a massive increase in traffic due to the holiday and people opening and trying out their nooks for the first time. 

I am pretty disappointed.  Though, in their defense, I have had my nook for about 5 months now and these last few days have really been the only true problem thus far.

I hope they get their act together soon - it would be a shame for them to lose Nook customers because of their lack of preparation - it really is a quality device.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

The blizzard conditions in the northeast have them working with a skeleton crew, that is not helping either

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

RedRapier wrote:

The blizzard conditions in the northeast have them working with a skeleton crew, that is not helping either

Yes, I'm sure they are on a skeleton crew due to both the holiday and the weather.  Give it a few days for the holiday rush to be over and for them to dig out.  I wouldn't be surprised if they werent' having power issues as well due to the storm.

Inspired Contributor
kren250
0 Kudos

Same issue here. I bought four ebooks Sunday morning, and so far my gift card amount hasn't gone down at all. I don't think they charged them to my credit card though, as the books still say "hasn't yet shipped". I think they are just so far behind processing everything that they haven't charged me for the books yet--at least I hope that's the case!

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

I also have gift cards ($75 total) that I attached to my account to be used for ebooks, and I have purchased two books on my account since yesterday and neither my gift card total nor my bank account has had any charges deducted.  And yet they each downloaded onto my nook within one minute of purchase.  I have opened them and can read them both.

At the time of each purchase I did get a message on my computer screen that said something to the effect that if I have any gift cards on my account they will be charged first, and then my credit card will be charged if necessary after that.

Now, I don't think for one second that B&N has overlooked this :smileytongue:  I'm sure I will be charged at some point, but it is a little odd and I will be watching my bank account to make sure I wasn't charged for them there when I have such a high balance in gift cards on my account.

New User
reginawalker
0 Kudos

My credit card was charged instead of my gift card. Customer service needed me to give them the giftcard number and pin over the phone - even though they had them in my account and could pull them up from their system. Thankfully I still had them.

I have to wait 2-3 business days for them to credit my account and debit the gift card.

Customer service also was unable to promise me if I made another purchase that this wouldn't happen again. So I'll be waiting on making the rest of my purchases until after the "holiday rush".

I also was on hold for nearly 40 minutes before reaching someone. I'm just glad I'm not an excited kid just getting a Nook for the first time because I would be throwing a temper-tantrum by now.

New User
NookUser2014
0 Kudos

I'm having the exact same issue! I have gotten a Nook for Christmas and I'm still figuring it out. I'm too young to own a credit card that is why my parents bought me gift cards. So I would like to know which card is being charged.

Reader 2
nookreaderKL
0 Kudos

I found the charge on my credit card statement instead of giftcard.  

Contributor
Weezknight
0 Kudos

I had a similar issue.  I put the gift card into my account, then bought 3 books (1 freebie).  I got all 3 right away, but my GC wasn't debited, nor was my credit card.  This morning I finally got an email about the book I bought on the 26th, and it did debit my GC.  I really think their system is hammered, and finally starting to get caught up.

I'm keeping my eye out for the other book, just to see if it debits the GC.  But I bought that one on the 27th, so it may not show until tomorrow.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Glad this topic came up... I added an Xmas gift card to my account tonight and promptly bought 2 books. So far, the gift card balance has not been touched. I guess I'll wait to see what happens. Hopefully it will debit the gift card.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

NookUser2014 wrote:

I'm having the exact same issue! I have gotten a Nook for Christmas and I'm still figuring it out. I'm too young to own a credit card that is why my parents bought me gift cards. So I would like to know which card is being charged.

When you buy a book, you have an option to view your receipt.  I usually save them in PDF for future reference, but on there it will show where the payment was taken from.  So, you can really catch it right away.

Frequent Contributor
pitbull42
0 Kudos

I had the same issue.  I tried calling CS twice.  On hold for 50 mins and 35 minutes and could not wait to get a live person.  SO I went e-mail which I know will not be productive, but I am leaving for the weekend and do not have time to call again,

As for them not having enough staff, that is unacceptable.  I work in a industry where customer service is priority 1.  We have multiple phone sites across the country to ensure that if one area has a weather issue or emergency the other sites can take the calls.  This happened to us this week and we were able to handle all our customer calls timely. Also, B&N should have extra staff on hand this week because a number of new users received a Nook as a x-mas gift and would have questions or problems.

I have had to call customer service 5 times in the last year and each time I found my experience poor. Management really needs to look at this and make major changes. A good product alone does not drive business and sales, customer service does.

Just poor planning from this, server issues, and other problems mentioned on these boards.

E-Sellers should never have the excuse that they did not have the server capacity to process orders.

Enough of my rant.

Contributor
VMyers
0 Kudos

I have to admit, I waited on hold over an hour, spoke with three different people and the issue still isn't resolved.  I almost threw a fit and I did end up telling the third person that I understood it wasn't his fault but that I couldn't sit on hold another minute longer and hung up.  I understand that they are short staffed but this is ridiculous