Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Jessi_Mac
0 Kudos

Going from nook classic to nook color, will I lose my online library?

I have a nook wifi right now and would like to upgrade to a nook color. If I unregister my current nook and register my nook color to the email address I'm currently using on bn.com, would I get to keep my books?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: Going from nook classic to nook color, will I lose my online library?

Yes.  When you register your new NOOKcolor you will have access to all of the B&N ebooks currently in your online library.  They will load automatically, but you will have to manually download most of them. It's easy enough; jus tap on the book covers for the ones you want to download.   :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@Jessi_Mac

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Most or all of your books are probably in EPUB format, and will migrate to your NookColor with no problem.

If any of your books are in PDB format, however, your NookColor will not be able to display them, because it is not compatible with that format.  You'll be able to continue reading them on your Nook, however.

If you connect your Nook to your computer and look at the book files, you'll be able to tell whether or not you'll have a problem:  PDB files have the extension ".pdb"

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Jessi_Mac wrote:

I have a nook wifi right now and would like to upgrade to a nook color. If I unregister my current nook and register my nook color to the email address I'm currently using on bn.com, would I get to keep my books?

If you plan on keeping your nook wi-fi, you don't need to unregister it. You can have up to 6 devices registered on the account and all will share the same library, unless a book is only usable on one device. For instance, the read-to-me books are only usable on the nook color.

Anything that is in your online library is yours, no matter whether it's the nook e-ink or nook color. So no worries.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

@Jessi_Mac

The NookColor is not an upgrade from a Nook Classic. They are alike and different at the same time.

Are you planning on keeping you Classic Nook? Many of us did. You can have up to six devices on one account.

Nallia
0 Kudos
New User
Jessi_Mac
0 Kudos

Thank you all very much for your help!

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

I have 2 NookColors and my Android-based phone all connected to one B&N account.  It is great!  We are loving the versatility of the NookColor...being able to put videos on for my little one for car trips is a big plus as my smartphone and iPod classic screens are soooo tiny.  The NC is a nice portable size for watching movies!

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Frequent Contributor
worldbook
0 Kudos

I am confused about book format. My books have all been purchased from B&N during the past few months, and they are all in PDB format. I have a Nook Classic. So if I decide one day to go with Nook Color, have I lost all of these books? I

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

No, you won't lose any books purchased from BN.  These are all stored on a "virtual shelf" online under your account.  All you have to do is download them to your new Nook. 

I have both a Nook 3G and a Nook Color.  I love 'em both, and having two allows me to easily have two different novels going at the same time, without having to switch back and forth in the Nok's library listing.

ABthree
0 Kudos

worldbook wrote:

I am confused about book format. My books have all been purchased from B&N during the past few months, and they are all in PDB format. I have a Nook Classic. So if I decide one day to go with Nook Color, have I lost all of these books? I

Unhappily, yes, unless you can download EPUB versions from B&N.

The dumbest product decision that B&N made in introducing the NookColor was not making it backward compatible with PDBs, even though both B&N and its subsidiary Fictionwise sell PDBs.  Customers have consistently made this point, and have been just as consistently ignored.

That said, it would be unusual for more than a minority of the books you've purchased from B&N to be PDBs -- most new B&N books are EPUBs.  What makes you think that many of them are PDBs?  It's important to look at the file extensions on the books that are actually in your Nook, not necessarily in the Nook Apps on your computer.  It seems that sometimes, the B&N servers download a PDB version to the Apps while they download an EPUB version to the Nook device.

-- St. Basil the Great+
ABthree
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

No, you won't lose any books purchased from BN.  These are all stored on a "virtual shelf" online under your account.  All you have to do is download them to your new Nook. 

I have both a Nook 3G and a Nook Color.  I love 'em both, and having two allows me to easily have two different novels going at the same time, without having to switch back and forth in the Nok's library listing.

Please note that worldbook is asking specifically about eBooks in PDB format.  NookColor will NOT read PDBs.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@worldbook --Do you by any chance have a Mac?

I seem to recall some threads about Mac downloading books in .pdb format instead of .epub.

Maybe if you download those books directly to a Nookcolor directly from the B&N website using WIFI they would be in .epub format.

I could be wrong of course. Maybe someone with experience with Macs would know the answer.

This thread might help if a Mac is involved.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/BN-Download-to-Mac-PDB-only/m-p/7...

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

ChipPM wrote:

@worldbook --Do you by anychance have a Mac?

I seem to recall some threads about Mac downloading books in .pdb format instead of .epub.

Maybe if you download those books directly to a Nookcolor directly from the B&N website using WIFI they would be in .epub format.

I could be wrong of course. Maybe someone with experience with Macs would know the answer.

This thread might help if a Mac is involved.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/BN-Download-to-Mac-PDB-only/m-p/7...

I have a Mac, and yes, I cannot download books directly from B&N to my Mac, because they end up as pdbs. (Well, I CAN, I simply won't.)

I get around it by having NookStudy for Mac on my computer, and syncing every time I purchase new books. NookStudy DOES download them as epubs, and this way I have epub backups on my computer. (Please note that Nook for Mac doesn't, it must be NookStudy for Mac.)

And I also sync from B&N directly to my Nook (and NookColor) so the books are epubs on my devices.

Hope that helps!

Frequent Contributor
worldbook
0 Kudos

Yes! That is it! I do have a Mac! Actually I have had it only a few months, and after reading the boards, I decided that I should download my books to my computer to back them up. That is where I am seeing them as PDBs. Serendip, you have helped me tremendously! I am downloading Nook Study right away! ChipPM, I will also check out that link on the boards!

I love this place!!!

Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

I'm so glad we could help you! See, a little knowledge and a bad memory (both on my part!) can sometimes do good things.

Keep us posted on how everything works out. Don't forget to post on the Nookcolor boards if you have any questions or have any comments on your Nookcolor.

Inspired Contributor
moemac
0 Kudos

Is it bad that I want to get a Nook Color just for videos and magazines? I would keep my Nook classic for books. I am seriously thinking about this, since I do a lot of traveing and I can't stand watching videos on my iphone.

"Don't parse the blurb"
ABthree
0 Kudos

moemac wrote:

Is it bad that I want to get a Nook Color just for videos and magazines? I would keep my Nook classic for books. I am seriously thinking about this, since I do a lot of traveing and I can't stand watching videos on my iphone.

It's neither bad nor good, but you may be setting yourself up for a disappointment by trying to repurpose what is fundamentally a reading device.  I'd take a look at some tablets first and compare them before committing.  :smileywink:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Contributor
moemac
0 Kudos

That's why it's bad that I am thinking of using the Nook Color as something other than what it is. I just love reading on my Nook Classic so much, that I just can't use anything else. I even have a hard time reading dtb because my Nook Classic has spoiled me. But I love how magazines look on the Nook Color and the idea that I can watch videos on an airplane without buying an ipad is nice. But with all my money tied up in my trip to Peru, I doubt I will buy anything. Sigh, I wish I won the lottery!

"Don't parse the blurb"
Nallia
0 Kudos

If you visit the NOOKcolor board and looks through the DVD converting threads, you wills ee that the NOOKcolor does an amazing job at playing videos.  The screen resolution and colors are fantastic.  It has a very good video player built in.  There is a lot of help there about converting videos for optimal playback.  :smileyhappy: