Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

Good News!

I just recently found out that our library has joined Overdrive for ebooks (they've had audiobooks for quite a while).

The bad news, at the moment they only have about 800 titles.

A couple quick searches didn't turn up any of the titles I'm most interested in at the moment. Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to make due with the 300 or so titles I actually have on my Nook at the moment.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Re: Good News!

I ponder what a waiting list looks like on those libraries that offer eBooks.  Is it such a long list that by the time your name comes up, the book will be out in paperback?

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I started out at 40th in line for a book about 6 weeks ago.  I'm currently first.

It will depend on how many copies of the book the library has licensed as well as how fast the readers in front of you are.  I've waited a month for DTBs from the library so this wasn't anywhere out of line.  

If you have to have it now, you're going to have to buy it.  If you can wait a little while, you can read it for free.  Kind of the same as with DTBs.  :smileywink: 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

That depends on the book and on borrowing time.  I'm a member of 2 libraries.  One allows borrowing for 10 days, the other one allows 21 days.  Obviously there's a faster turnaround time on the 10 day borrowing time.  It also depends on how many copies of the book the library has.  Bottom line is "it all depends"...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

So, from what I have gathered, it depends on the popularity of the book in regards to an extensive waiting list.  I think it would be a lost cause to put a hold on "What the Night Knows" by Dean Koontz since it is currently #1 on the NY Times Best Seller List.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CasperAZ wrote:

I think it would be a lost cause to put a hold on "What the Night Knows" by Dean Koontz since it is currently #1 on the NY Times Best Seller List.

I don't know that it would be a lost cause.  (It depends on the book's popularity and on how many licenses for the book that the library purchased.)  Log into your library and request it.  If you haven't gotten it by the time you need to read it, buy it and then cancel the request.  You seem awfully fascinated by this book; I've seen you mention it at least five times...

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

One thing I thing I try to do and would be great if everyone does is if I finish a book before my 14 days it up (the length my library allows) I will go in and 'return' it so it can be tossed into the queue that much faster

Distinguished Correspondent
GeneHunter

Ya_Ya wrote:

I started out at 40th in line for a book about 6 weeks ago.  I'm currently first.

I'm passing on my little secret to getting the newest best sellers from my Library.  Shhhhh--- don't tell anyone. :smileywink:

Keep an eye on your library's count of epubs.  You will probably find that new books are added at the same time each month.  Now, after a bit of research, you now know what day of the month to sign in and sign out new books, or get on the hold list without double digits.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

I have a task reminder set up in my Droid X for me to check for new books every Friday.  I just go to the NY Public Library website and scan through all the e-pubs that have been added within the last 7 days.  The ones I may want I put on my wishlist.

►Without order there is chaos◄