Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

Re: Got Nook? Try Overdrive Library

Slammer wrote:

OK, so I just downloaded a PDF eBook via Overdrive onto my ADE. For those in the Houston, TX. area, I'm using the Harris County Public Library.

Since I don't have my nook yet, how do I transfer that eBook onto the nook once I get it?

You will see on the right the cover of the book with a number in the corner letting you know how long you have the book checked out for. All you have to do is connect your Nook and it should pop up on the left hand side. Drag your eBook onto the Nook, it should take a few seconds to transfer and that is it.

Frequent Contributor
Slammer
0 Kudos

Thanks Captain!
Proud Nook Owner
Frequent Contributor
jenkinsm
0 Kudos

I will add my confirmation that a book form the Overdrive collection does indeed work on my nook. At first I thought it wouldn't, but that was because I simply dragged the PDF file onto my nook. You have to do it from within Adobe Digital Editions for it to work.

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
0 Kudos

I am so excited that I am even shaking!  Just got my nook 3 and a half hours ago and just took it off charge.  registered it, downloaded a book from my wish list, and tried the public library.  It works!  At first, I could not find it on my nook, and then I remembered reading something about "My documents".  I checked there and found it.  It came right up to read!  I am so glad that I did not get the Kindle!  Very easy to do and my library has over 600 fiction books.  I am on hold for Breathless by Koontz but I did get "Burn."  I have a whole list that I am wanting to  get later on!  Love my nook!

Inspired Contributor
JoyLovesBooks
0 Kudos

I will second or third this!!! I just used Overdrive via the Columbus Metropolitan Library system, and checked out a book for 14 days.  I did have to download the Adobe Editions. Plugging in my nook, Editions (which was open) detected it, and I authorized my device [nook], and then the book I have borrowed could be dragged onto the little icon of the nook. The nook appeared right in the list with the "bookshelves".  The book looks great! Chapters... can turn the pages with the swish gesture across the touchscreen.

I am loving, loving, loving this nook. I should be cleaning my house for my bookclub party on Friday, but I'm just playing with this awesome little thing. What a great purchase!  Yay me!

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DGangGreen wrote:

Am I doing something wrong?  It seems that all I find from my library are audio books for download from the overdrive site.  It this limited by the library, or am I in the wrong place?

what's the URL for your virtual library on Overdrive ?

Inspired Contributor
JoyLovesBooks
0 Kudos

You know something? When I first got into the Overdrive site, I was just seeing the audio files and thought the same thing. Look over in the left nav bar and see if you can see an "ebooks" link. If you can, click that and you'll be off to the races.  I started in audio or music or something by default.

DGangGreen wrote:

Am I doing something wrong?  It seems that all I find from my library are audio books for download from the overdrive site.  It this limited by the library, or am I in the wrong place?

Thanks,

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

Every Overdrive site is setup differently. Some will have those buttons on the left others will not. It all depends on how the library/consortium had it setup. If you live in Nassau County on Long Island than the site is http://nassau.lib.overdrive.com/

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

glad to see Overdrive works with nook -

here's our website - western burbs of Chicago -

http://emedialibrary.lib.overdrive.com/

Frequent Contributor
greatjava
0 Kudos

This is huge both for eReader consumers and public libraries.  As an overdrive user on my macbook I'll be glad to finally have an easier more portable way to read my STL library books!  I think this will have an interesting effect on local libraries. They pay every year to use the program and license books. I suspect the nook in areas like mine could send the local library ebook program into overdrive! (pun intended). Enjoy it while you can, before long getting rentals will be tough.

At least we know they'll be returned on time!

-Mark (http://nooktalk.net)

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

Our eBooks are already in Overdrive. We only started purchasing the books in within the last 2 months and we can't buy enough to fulfill demand.

Don't forget that you can return books early if you are finished from within Adobe Digital Editions!

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Captain_Awesome wrote:

Our eBooks are already in Overdrive. We only started purchasing the books in within the last 2 months and we can't buy enough to fulfill demand.

some other library person indicated that ebooks are actually rather expensive to purchase for use on Overdrive.   I seem to recall that the licensing cost is about the same as buying a hardcover edition. 

I wonder if that is what you are seeing -
That the cost to license an ebook on Overdrive is up at the high end with the cost of buying a hardcover ?   I would expect it to be less.... but then from the author/publisher point of view, maybe they see it as being potentially used the same as a premium hardcover paper copy.

Unfortunately for the library -
you can't "donate" an ebook to the Overdrive library like you can with a real paperback or hardcover to your local library....

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Slammer wrote:

OK, so I just downloaded a PDF eBook via Overdrive onto my ADE. For those in the Houston, TX. area, I'm using the Harris County Public Library.

Since I don't have my nook yet, how do I transfer that eBook onto the nook once I get it?

From the manual, since I also don't have my Nook yet.

Essentially you launch Adobe Digital Editions and connect your Nook via a USB cable.  You should see your NOOK as a device which you setup in Device Setup Assistant. 

Page 117 of the new Nook user guide.  Or the instructions of ADE that currently only mention the Sony readers.

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

ps56k wrote:

some other library person indicated that ebooks are actually rather expensive to purchase for use on Overdrive.   I seem to recall that the licensing cost is about the same as buying a hardcover edition. 

I wonder if that is what you are seeing -
That the cost to license an ebook on Overdrive is up at the high end with the cost of buying a hardcover ?   I would expect it to be less.... but then from the author/publisher point of view, maybe they see it as being potentially used the same as a premium hardcover paper copy.

Unfortunately for the library -
you can't "donate" an ebook to the Overdrive library like you can with a real paperback or hardcover to your local library....

If you look a few posts back I wrote examples for some of the prices of the books.

New User
smusic
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

While it's true that you can't donate an ebook to the library, you could certainly donate some money to your local library to buy more ebooks for Overdrive.  This would help the library to see that there's a lot of patron interest out there so that libraries will consider increasing their ebook budgets

Contributor
batgirl71
0 Kudos

That price isn't entirely accurate. The prices range from $7.99 to $26.99. Older titles, example Koontz's Frankenstein series, would sell for $7.99 while new releases, example The Lost Symbol, would be closer to $24 or so.

I respectfully disagree. The price of the eBook that the library pays is equivalent to the hardcopy. I just checked The Lost Symbol and the cost is 29.95 -- same as the hardcover hardcopy. As for Koontz's Frankenstein series, these were released as mass market paperbacks for 9.99. The Overdrive eBooks? 9.99. An older book has most likely been released as a trade or mass market paperback and the eBook price will reflect this.

As for if this is fair, I also respectfully disagree. I think libraries are being hosed. Yes everyone needs to take their cut but that also happens in the physical book realm as well and here while you have licensing fees you don't have the printer and material fees. Unfortunately, libraries haven't used their collective power to push back on this and I think it is a mistake.

New User
banuaba
0 Kudos

When you look at their behavior, the one thing publishers truly hate is books. Look at the nook licensing, the loss of first sale rights, the restrictive DRM.  Publishers hate books, and that's all there is to it.

Reader
cici6
0 Kudos

Can you tell me how transfered the library book onto your nook? I have tried and dont know how to do it.

Frequent Contributor
Titans95
0 Kudos

Use ADE to transfer.

Inspired Contributor
Evrosado
0 Kudos

I borrow books from my library all the time.  I love that option. I download the book and use ADE to sideload to my Nook. 

Evelyn