Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

Got Nook? Try Overdrive Library

I was wondering if anyone that has received their Nook could please try and checkout a book using Overdrive from your public library. This is the biggest factor for me if I decide on Nooking. From everything I read it should work but you never know.

THANKS!

Inspired Contributor
antgly

Re: Got Nook? Try Overdrive Library

[ Edited ]

When I get mine, I'll try it.

By the way, read my post for more info: http://nookaholic.com/2009/12/tomorrow-is-the-day/

Frequent Contributor
gulo
0 Kudos

now I am not too familiar with how borrowing an ebook from library works but I presume I will only be able to do it from the library in my own town ?

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well your library has to offer the service. Overdrive is an online eBook/eAudiobook library. Your library needs to pay a subscription fee for the service then they buy materials which patrons can then checkout. It would be found on your library's website. All you need is your library card number and then you can download free books to your nook.

I would just like someone to try it so I know if I should open my Nook or return it when it comes.

Inspired Contributor
antgly
0 Kudos

Go to your library's website (a Google search will help) and look for an eBook section.

Frequent Contributor
gulo
0 Kudos

yes I found the ebook section in my library but it's pretty small. So I was wondering if there is a way to borrow books from different libraries (that might have larger selection)

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

Usually libraries don't buy their own subscription to Overdrive. Such as, all the libraries in my county got together and split the subscription fees. This means that no matter which library orders materials it gets put on the site and anyone from any library in the county can check those out. It helps the collection grow faster.

But to answer your question more directly, no you can not loan from other library's Overdrive Library. If you live in New York though you can use your individual library's as well as the New York Public Library's Overdrive if you have a card, which anyone who has a NY Driver's License can get.

Frequent Contributor
Tome-Reader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Captain_Awesome wrote:

But to answer your question more directly, no you can not loan from other library's Overdrive Library. If you live in New York though you can use your individual library's as well as the New York Public Library's Overdrive if you have a card, which anyone who has a NY Driver's License can get.

Not true.  It would depend on the library &/or library system.  For instance, I work at the Ontario City Library in Southern California.  We let anybody in the southern California area get one of our cards.  Last week a guy from San Diego called us and asked if he could use our ebook downloads and was told that all he needed to do was get one of our cards.  We allow online registration for a card, but the person has to physically come into the library to pick it up.  He did and now has access to our collection.

Contributor
DGangGreen
0 Kudos

Wow, I have never heard of this service before. This is truly amazing. I looked up the libraries in Anchorage, and there are a bunch that offer e-books.  I would have never guessed this.  I am going tomorrow to get a library account, is it really that easy?

"D"
Frequent Contributor
C8H10N4O2
0 Kudos

I just checked and found out my local library also offers this service.  I was surprised, as it isn't a very large library.  Oh well, yet another + to go with the "decision" (as I no longer think I have one to make) between the kindle and nook.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Welcome to the Overdrive topic -

You should really do a search on this discussion board for all the previous discussions concerning "Overdrive" or "library" or "DRM".  There are several background topics that you need to understand - as it may not be as simple as you think...

It will be interesting to have someone with nook try the Overdrive download - with and without DRM via Adobe Digital Editions - and then connect nook via USB and see what happens....

Frequent Contributor
nfdg03
0 Kudos

Point taken ps56k - there is a lot of info that has been discussed on this board as well as other boards that give some good background on potential DRM issues and there are opinions / speculation as to if the nook will work with Overdrive downloads via ADE (even an Adobe developer said it would work on one board), but I agree with you that we are curious to hear from someone who actually has a nook in their hands and tries it out will before we have a definite answer to this question.

Enjoy your nooks & let us know when you can how Overdrive downloads worked for you, and I cannot wait till I get mine!

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would definitely like to hear that someone gets this to work on their nook.   It doesn't work with the lastest PC Version (2.0.1).

It is definitely suppose to work with Nook.  See the first question in adobe's faq on nook

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/digitalpublishing/barnes_noble_faq.html

However nothing in the Nook doc describes how to get this to work.  On the PC version B&N Desktop reader asks for your name and CC number which is not how the books are protected by Overdrive.

Contributor
dancergirlVK
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I believe you can buy a subscription to the NYC library.

Frequent Contributor
Captain_Awesome
0 Kudos

Lets not scare people now. If it works the process of downloading a book and getting them onto your eReader is a fairly easy and quick process with Overdrive. You check the eBook out using your library card and then download it into a Registered account on Adobe Digital Editions (on my sony I also use Sony eLibrary). There will be a number on the corner of the books telling you how long you have the books checked out for. You then drag them over to your reader which should be shown as a device on the right. When you disconnect the reader, and if it worked correctly, you should be able to read the books for the loan period your library set on Overdrive. Once the loan period is over the books will still remain on the eReader but you will not be able to read them.

I have sometimes run into problems using Adobe Digital Editions with my Sony Reader, the books would show up as Protected Content. But by using the Sony eLibrary software I was able to get around the few problems I have had.

Hopefully someone can try it today since so many people will be receiving their Nooks.

Inspired Correspondent
AdamSelene
0 Kudos

Hm, nobody has confirmed or denied yet.  I will be trying it myself as soon as my nook arrives, so stay tuned for an answer next week.

Frequent Contributor
nookfan
0 Kudos

I can't believe noone has tried that yet. :smileysad: That would be the first thing I try when I get mine. Hopefully, some time next week.

Frequent Contributor
gulo
0 Kudos

Correspondent
athenagwis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks Gulo!  I was just coming to post that … :smileyhappy: I am so happy to see that Overdrive does indeed work with the nook.  What a great way to get books, now I just have to convince my local library to sign up and I will be a very happy camper.  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
nookfan
0 Kudos

thanks. it sounds like it works as exptected. i am excited. :smileyhappy: