Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Correspondent
tuck229
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎09-02-2011
0 Kudos

Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???

Long story short:  I'm looking for a box for a 1st Edition Nook.  Anybody got one in the closet you don't need to hang onto?

 

 

Long story:  I bought a lightly used Nook 1st Edition off someone who upgraded to the NC.  This was bought to replace the Nook 1st Edition that was stolen off my front porch after USPS left the package there...which I had bought to replace the 1st Edition B&N had listed as shipping and then canceled on me.  It's for my parents and I'd like to put in a Nook box if possible.  Yeah, I know, giving a used Nook as a gift is lame, but this one still has most of its warranty left and they didn't like the Simple Touch as much as the 1st Edition and B&N doesn't sell them any more.

 

 

Inspired Contributor
MAD70601
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???

If I remember correctly, neither of my nooks came in a box - they both came in bubble-wrap plastic wraps, or whatever those contraptions are called.  B&N just put that in a larger shipping box.  Thery don't use fancy boxes like Apple, and therefore they don't have Apple-like pricing.

Inspired Contributor
MAD70601
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???

After looking back at my Apple box collection (they're too pretty to discard), I found I have a B&N box for the NST - it was the original one that came in plastic.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
Posts: 125
Registered: ‎01-13-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???

Mine came in a box...I have the  wifi only version, and was given this as a belated Christmas gift last January.  Call your local B&N and see if they have one(it would probably be faster)...I could send you mine if you like, just send me a PM...I'm looking at it as I speak...I also have the box that my first cover came in (along with the cover, I have an Oberon cover now)...

 

Good luck

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Inspired Contributor
MAD70601
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???

I'm surprised about the box.  I remember when Ellen gave the "new" nook to her audience members, and held it up for everyone to see.  I was surprised to see it in a clear plastic type wrap.  Maybe boxes around the holidays??!!

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
Posts: 115
Registered: ‎04-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???


tuck229 wrote:

Long story short:  I'm looking for a box for a 1st Edition Nook.  Anybody got one in the closet you don't need to hang onto?

 

 

Long story:  I bought a lightly used Nook 1st Edition off someone who upgraded to the NC.  This was bought to replace the Nook 1st Edition that was stolen off my front porch after USPS left the package there...which I had bought to replace the 1st Edition B&N had listed as shipping and then canceled on me.  It's for my parents and I'd like to put in a Nook box if possible.  Yeah, I know, giving a used Nook as a gift is lame, but this one still has most of its warranty left and they didn't like the Simple Touch as much as the 1st Edition and B&N doesn't sell them any more.

 

 


Are you giving it with a case?  I was just thinking that wrapping it with some pretty tissue paper and a nice bow or ribbons would make it look really pretty.

Inspired Contributor
MAD70601
Posts: 58
Registered: ‎11-02-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???

I've been wracking my brain, jogging my memory, and now remember a "box" of sorts for my original nook.  It looked like a large tri-fold wallet, with one flap covering the nook and the other covering the charger.  I remember it being more like a liner for the plastic wrap, and not rugged enough for reuse outside of the plastic.  Maybe it was just too much trouble getting the nook and charger back into the box, so I chunked it.

Reader 4
anodein82
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎05-13-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???

I've got one of the original plastic boxes that they shipped the 1st gen in before it was available in stores.  Its yours if you want it. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,552
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???


MAD70601 wrote:

If I remember correctly, neither of my nooks came in a box - they both came in bubble-wrap plastic wraps, or whatever those contraptions are called.  B&N just put that in a larger shipping box.  Thery don't use fancy boxes like Apple, and therefore they don't have Apple-like pricing.


The original nook came in a plastic box with plastic pieces that held the nook in place.  It was a great way to ship it as there was no way the nook ws going to bang around in the box, but it was a nightmare to get the nook out.  There were even videos on the web showing people how to properly extact the nook.  Even after watching the videos I still had trouble getting my nook out of the packaging.  It was pretty fancy and nice-looking though.  Maybe they changed the packaging after so many people had trouble with it?

 

The N2E can in a cardboard box that was still pretty nice but was much easier to get the device out of.  I guess B&N learned their lesson the first time, LOL.

 

To the OP - I'm the same way - I'd want to get the original packaging to make the gift feel new.  But even if you can get one of those plastic boxes there's almost no way you'll be able to get the nook into it properly, and then your parents will have a heck of time taking it back out.

Scribe
frantastk
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎06-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Got an Empty Nook Box Sitting Around???


keriflur wrote:

MAD70601 wrote:

If I remember correctly, neither of my nooks came in a box - they both came in bubble-wrap plastic wraps, or whatever those contraptions are called.  B&N just put that in a larger shipping box.  Thery don't use fancy boxes like Apple, and therefore they don't have Apple-like pricing.


The original nook came in a plastic box with plastic pieces that held the nook in place.  It was a great way to ship it as there was no way the nook ws going to bang around in the box, but it was a nightmare to get the nook out.  There were even videos on the web showing people how to properly extact the nook.  Even after watching the videos I still had trouble getting my nook out of the packaging.  It was pretty fancy and nice-looking though.  Maybe they changed the packaging after so many people had trouble with it?

 

The N2E can in a cardboard box that was still pretty nice but was much easier to get the device out of.  I guess B&N learned their lesson the first time, LOL.

 

To the OP - I'm the same way - I'd want to get the original packaging to make the gift feel new.  But even if you can get one of those plastic boxes there's almost no way you'll be able to get the nook into it properly, and then your parents will have a heck of time taking it back out.


They changed the packaging of the original nook after a while. Maybe when the wifi only version came out? I do know that by August of last year (so at least 15 months ago) they were using a cardboard box just like the one the N2Es come in. That's when I got mine and the boxes are very similar. I kept both of my boxes in my closet because, well, just because I did, I guess. Also the receits are in the boxes in case I ever need them.