Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Gray back - Black Back

[ Edited ]

My first nook arrived 12/08 (one of the first customers).  

My second nook arrived today 2/10.  It is a replacement due to cracked page forward button.

The old nook had a black back panel under the back cover.  The new one is Gray under the back cover.

The back panel peeks out on the bottom of the nook so you don't have to remove the back to see it.

Just an oddity that there has been a materials color change so early.  And yes, Mr David Pogue, they weigh precisely the same on my postal scale to the nearest 10th of an ounce.

The color of the 3G cell card differs as well, but in all other respects they are indistinguishable. (other than the cracked fwd button).

Digital Support told me there have been over 200 thousand nooks shipped to-date.

Distinguished Correspondent
naylorchic
0 Kudos

Re: Gray back - Black Back

I noticed the very same thing. My original was black and gray. The replacement was gray and gray. I was curious about it too.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Hm.  my replacement nook was shipped right after X-mas (the following Monday), and it's got the black back.

I wonder if, due to the rush for parts pre-Christmas, B&N had to choose a "standard" color for this part rather than one that matched their own design...just a thought.

Frequent Contributor
four0six
0 Kudos

That is crazy.  I wonder what happned that they'd change that?  Interesting.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

I wonder if, due to the rush for parts pre-Christmas, B&N had to choose a "standard" color for this part rather than one that matched their own design...just a thought.

I wouldn't doubt its something like that, or the price of injection molded plastic varies with the color for some reason.

There is not doubt this was a rush project.  In this image which I found on the web:

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/icebike/Board_scan.jpg

You can see the circuit board design wasn't even finalized till Sept 21, 2009, (upper right corner).

I've also come to the conclusion the nook was going to be named the Bravo and it got a name change at the last minute.  Right side, mid way down, the ribbon cable is labeled "Bravo Key...", and software updates are named Signed_bravo_updates. 

Frequent Contributor
NickandNook
0 Kudos

This was one of my complaints.  The black panel didn't color coordinate.  So, they now changed them to grey!  See, complaining works.  *Just kidding*   I did check the color of my panel and it is black (received my nook in early Dec.). 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Received my nook end of January and the back is grey.

Frequent Contributor
harkinat0r
0 Kudos

That's a very interesting observation.  I'm glad that they made the change, the new look is much nicer.  I was in the late Jan. shipment so I never knew the black version.

Contributor
dailyhalfdozen
0 Kudos

I was a Jan 11th and I have the black/gray combo.

Contributor
groberts1980
0 Kudos

Jan 4th here, black/grey. Sounds like sometime around mid-January they switched to all grey. Interesting.

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

I posted this on another thread before I saw this one, but I believe it has to do with a material change solving the button cracking problem. I notice when I brought my grey back to the store and compared it to the black back, my grey back felt more substantial. I also think this is where the weight change came into play as well. Just a thought to ponder.

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

This is crap, first I stand in line in the pouring rain to use the local community interwebz the first day that the nook was on a preorder, and now they've made improvements which make my nook obsolete.  I damn retribution.  

New User
readzalot1228
0 Kudos

how do i get the back of the nook off because i was looking online and it said that there were replacable backs but i dont know how to get the back off? can someone help me.... fast?

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

readzalot1228 wrote:

how do i get the back of the nook off because i was looking online and it said that there were replacable backs but i dont know how to get the back off? can someone help me.... fast?

See User Guide, page 28

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Contributor
Winetime
0 Kudos

I've had my Nook since 4/2010 and it is grey on grey.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

readzalot1228 wrote:

This is an old thread.  You do have the nook and not the NOOKColor?  If you have the nook, the user guide will explain how to remove the back.