Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

Re: HUGE SALE - but not for Nook customers.

I like this discussion, I can actually see things from both sides.  So glad I found this board.

On a happy note, I am starting to collect the Stephanie Plum books, and I was happy to get four of them for $2.99 each :smileyhappy:.  If anyone sees anymore of this series on sale, let me know :smileyhappy:.  There are other books I am looking at too, but I'm going to wait and see how the pricing goes in the future.  Although, I can see myself paying whatever price for the Harry Potter series, and The Outsiders, if it is ever made into a e-book :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

LibroAmante wrote:

I like this discussion, I can actually see things from both sides.  So glad I found this board.

On a happy note, I am starting to collect the Stephanie Plum books, and I was happy to get four of them for $2.99 each :smileyhappy:.  If anyone sees anymore of this series on sale, let me know :smileyhappy:.  There are other books I am looking at too, but I'm going to wait and see how the pricing goes in the future.  Although, I can see myself paying whatever price for the Harry Potter series, and The Outsiders, if it is ever made into a e-book :smileyhappy:

Glad I saw this, I didn't realize some of the books were on sale.  I got 6, went up to $3.99, but considering the $4.99 ones also, because I have doubts they'll get lower.  I would have bought all 16 of them if they had kept them all in $2.99 - $3.99 range.  As it is, I need to think about 5&9, since I already have all of them in paperback.

I do wonder what goes on in the minds of the publisher, and how they determine the prices.

12-15 = $2.99

4 & 8 = $3.99

5 & 9 = $4.99

6 & 10 = $5.99

7 &11 plus some inbetweens = $6.99

1 - 3 & Plum Spooky = $7.99

16 = $8.99

17 = $13.99

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

LibroAmante wrote:

Glad I saw this, I didn't realize some of the books were on sale.  I got 6, went up to $3.99, but considering the $4.99 ones also, because I have doubts they'll get lower.  I would have bought all 16 of them if they had kept them all in $2.99 - $3.99 range.  As it is, I need to think about 5&9, since I already have all of them in paperback.

I do wonder what goes on in the minds of the publisher, and how they determine the prices.

12-15 = $2.99

4 & 8 = $3.99

5 & 9 = $4.99

6 & 10 = $5.99

16 = $8.99

17 = $13.99

With all the wacky pricing out there, sometimes I think they just throw darts at a board and charge whatever price they hit.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

LibroAmante wrote:

12-15 = $2.99

4 & 8 = $3.99

5 & 9 = $4.99

6 & 10 = $5.99

16 = $8.99

17 = $13.99

I was wondering that too. Will probably start getting some of the cheaper ones, and work my way through them all.  I just chalked the prices up to the popularity of each particular book, probably baloney, but that's all I could come up with :smileyhappy:.  Wonder if the higher priced ones contain more Ranger :smileyhappy:, and that's what is causing the higher prices :smileyhappy:.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

LibroAmante wrote:

12-15 = $2.99

4 & 8 = $3.99

5 & 9 = $4.99

6 & 10 = $5.99

16 = $8.99

17 = $13.99

With all the wacky pricing out there, sometimes I think they just throw darts at a board and charge whatever price they hit.

LOL.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

LibroAmante wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

LibroAmante wrote:

12-15 = $2.99

4 & 8 = $3.99

5 & 9 = $4.99

6 & 10 = $5.99

16 = $8.99

17 = $13.99

I was wondering that too. Will probably start getting some of the cheaper ones, and work my way through them all.  I just chalked the prices up to the popularity of each particular book, probably baloney, but that's all I could come up with :smileyhappy:.  Wonder if the higher priced ones contain more Ranger :smileyhappy:, and that's what is causing the higher prices :smileyhappy:.

I dunno, I think 8 is where Stephanie sleeps with Ranger that one and only time.  But more Ranger is always good.  Ranger or Morelli, that certainly is the question??????????

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

Looks like you can also get More Plums in One, which is books 4, 5, and 6 for $12.99.  Which would save about $2 over buying them separately.

Frequent Contributor
kevinrs
0 Kudos

MikeNC wrote:

According to the latest Pew survey, only about 12% of US households own an ereader.  it's still very much a minority market, not a mass market appeal area.  The masses still buy DTBs predominantly (those who read much at all).  I did not see any demographic breakdowns there, but I'd bet that most of those households are also well above the median national income (which is somewhere just north of $50-$51K).

Pew also says only about 8% of households have tablet computers (the iPad being the most common).  If you watch any major news network or read tech news and blogs, you'd think the things were as common as toilet paper these days.  But again, they are still very much a niche market.

Publishers can charge high prices for ebooks, because those buying them generally do not hesitate over the price.  It's the same for tablets and ereader devices.  As the market grows, competition and volume sales will see prices go down.  But for now, those forces just aren't there to anywhere near the same affect as with DTBs.  B&N puts a popular paperback or hardcover on sale and maybe moves tens of thousands of copies nationwide.  If the price of a popular ebook drops, they maybe sell a couple of thousand more.  And there's no black ink recovery from moving ebooks - the server costs are still pretty much the same whether you sell 100 or 100,000.  Move a warehouse full of DTBs and you can drop that leased inventory space or put something else in there that is moving well.

Actually, that 12% means a lot more than you thing it does. What percentage of people do you think actually buy books or go to the library? From what I've seen, most don't ever enter a library after leaving school, and really just don't read. If that number was counted out of readers rather than total population, I think it would be higher. Consider that the latest info I can find(2009), only 68% of households have internet access, that's another limit on ereader users.

To be an ereader user, someone has to be both a reader and have internet(there may be a few exceptions on internet, but they are few). Ereaders are never going to reach 100%, even if they were free.

Frequent Contributor
maureen-in-mukilteo
0 Kudos

MAVP wrote:

B&N had better come up with a solution to its overpriced e-books before a competitor does it for them. I've heard all of the excuses. The publishers control the price, people are willing to pay the price, etc.

Whatever. When a paperback sells for $1.99 but the e-book version is still $8.99 - that's a HUGE problem. Someone, somewhere, will solve that problem. I hope it's B&N - but whoever it is, I'll be their first customer.

There is a whole new generation of writers publishing only ebooks at low cost. You can pick out the good from the bad by reading the reviews. So these high costs of traditional publishers are a silver lining for new writers. They can self publish ebooks at low cost. Then they can sell these books for a low price and still make a good wage because the royalty rate is so high. My agent wrote a novel that he self published. It was just picked up by a print publisher and I know several others that has happened to. Ebooks are becoming the "farm club" for writers; do well there and you get picked up by the majors. Meanwhile readers can pick up their books for a low cost.

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I have heard the price complaints over and over and, what a lot people forget is two things one e-books sells are doing extremely well so obviously, not everyone sees the pricing as a problem and, two while a book may not equal the price of paperback but often times the price lower then a HB price.  I siting this example you

Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society Series #2) 

Uncommon Criminals (Heist Society Series #2)   

I'm sure you're going to notice that the nookbook is cheaper then the new released hardcover.  

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means. cult - 5 dictionary results cult    /kʌlt/ Show Spelled[kuhlt] Show IPA –noun 1. a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies. 2. an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult. 3. the object of such devotion. 4. a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc. 5. Sociology. a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols. 6. a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader. 7. the members of such a religion or sect. 8. any system for treating human sickness that originated by a person usually claiming to have sole insight into the nature of disease, and that employs methods regarded as unorthodox or unscientific.
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Huh? Who used the word cult?  I must had missed that post.  

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
New User
Donna888didi
0 Kudos

The words HUGE SALE grabbed my attention. I just thought that I would pass on the knowledge that www.Smashwords.com has a huge number of free ebooks and books at discount prices. These books are available for the Nook. If you use the coupon code of SSW25 you can get my debut novel, Skookum for less than two dollars. That's less than most Apps. There has been much debate about the pricing of ebooks. Another great place to learn about ebooks is Nathan Bransford's blog. I hope this helps you out in finding some HUGE SALES on ebooks.

Debut novel , Skookum - Evil God of the Woods. Ebook available for nook through Smashwords.
Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

MAVP wrote:

Again,I've heard the excuses, but thanks for reiterating them anyway. Bottom line, for 80% of the public, price is very important. Not everyone earns 50k/year or more.

The e-book industry needs a Model-T revolution. Someone will find the solution, someone will stop justifying the higher prices and actually make the technology work for the masses, and that's when e-reading will really take over. Not until then.

Bottom line: when most people are struggling to make ends meet - the difference between $1.99 for the paperback and $9.99 for the e-book is a no-brainer. ( Frankenstein: Dead and Alive (4/15/2011) by Dean Koontz)  They don't care what your justifications are. At all.

MAVP wrote:

Again,I've heard the excuses, but thanks for reiterating them anyway. Bottom line, for 80% of the public, price is very important. Not everyone earns 50k/year or more.

The e-book industry needs a Model-T revolution. Someone will find the solution, someone will stop justifying the higher prices and actually make the technology work for the masses, and that's when e-reading will really take over. Not until then.

Bottom line: when most people are struggling to make ends meet - the difference between $1.99 for the paperback and $9.99 for the e-book is a no-brainer. ( Frankenstein: Dead and Alive (4/15/2011) by Dean Koontz)  They don't care what your justifications are. At all.

So... you put that everyone is struggling to make ends meet, and you get a $150+ dollar device... and now your complaining about the difference of price between a $2 and a $10 ebook? I think than if your "struggling to make ends meet" than you should have saved your pennies in the first place and stuck with your $2 paper back. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

Huh? Who used the word cult?  I must had missed that post.  

The OP used the word cult.  If you go back into the thread you'll see  it.  The OP thinks we're all a bunch of B&N cultists for explaining that B&N cannot control the prices set by the agency model publishers.

It appears the OP is no longer participating in this forum.

Reader
MamaCashew

So you can afford a Nook at anywhere from $119-$249, but you are complaining about the $8.99 price of an e-book?

Did you do any research on e-readers and book costs before buying?  Not every book is going to be offered for $0.99 or less. 

If the price is too high, here's a suggestion, don't buy it! 

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

I don't think the person ever said how they obtained the Nook.  Plus in one of their other posts, they stated that they never said they couldn't afford to buy them.  I think they were just frustrated about some of the prices, and wanted to vent.  I never went in with any type of expectations about the e-books, since I haven't bought any books in a long time, I just pick and choose what I want, and if it's not what I want to pay for it, I just wait and see if it goes on sale.