Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Dragonfly75
0 Kudos

Help?! 2 weeks, 4 calls and an email to Customer Service with NO results.

I was wondering if anyone can suggest an alternative to calling customer service again.  Here's the situation:

About 2 weeks ago I tried to purchase a NOOKbook, I had a Barnes and Noble gift card on my account that covered most of the purchase and I entered a Visa giftcard to cover the rest (less than fifty cents).  I was unable to download the book so I called customer service.  After speaking to a CSR and a supervisor, it was explained that a Visa giftcard cannot be used to buy a NOOKbook.  I was told that the order would be cancelled and my Barnes and Noble gift card would be refunded to my account.  Since then, I have called 3 more times, I have been disconnected once, spoke to 2 more CSRs and another supervisor, I tried emailing and got a canned response that they are too busy to answer emails and I should just call Customer Service.  With each call I’ve made, I’ve been on hold for no less than 20 minutes before ever getting to speak to someone.  So far I’ve spent over an hour and a half on this with no results.  I should probably just give up but it’s the principal.  When I bought my Nook, customer service was my biggest concern and this is my first experience, so it’s not good.  So, if anyone has any alternatives to calling customer service again, I would appreciate it!  Thank you!

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Re: Help?! 2 weeks, 4 calls and an email to Customer Service with NO results.

I've never heard of using a Visa/MC "gift card" as a "default credit card" for your B&N account.

If that's true (and I will defer those on this board who have been at this longer), your calling CS and discussing this further won't really help you -- so I'd recommend not wasting your time.

What was the balance on your Visa GC?  Was your purchase price refunded to your B&N gift card?

I have my account set up with a B&N gift card as my primary payment, and my (AMEX) card as the "default" card which would be hot when I exhaust the B&N gift card...works well so far. I would recommend using a conventional credit card as your default if possible, and see if that works.

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Is the issue that you never got the credit back or that you are still trying to complete the purchase this same way?

did you get the credit back?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

I've never heard of using a Visa/MC "gift card" as a "default credit card" for your B&N account.

This absolutely should work - see this link:   http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Child-acct-don-t-want-to-have-default-...

I'm not sure I have any advice for OP, though.

Contributor
Dragonfly75
0 Kudos

I'm sorry I guess I wasn't clear... At this point I just need B&N to refund my B&N gift card.  They've cancelled the order and my Visa gift card was not charged but I would like my refund to my B&N gift card.  I do have a bank Visa as my default but I was just trying to use the Visa gift card for this one purchase, now that I know that's not an option I won't try it again. Thanks.

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

shilohMD wrote:

This absolutely should work - see this link:   http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Child-acct-don-t-want-to-have-default-...

I'm not sure I have any advice for OP, though.

OK...thanks!  I've learned something today...I can go home now (and read my Nook)   :smileyhappy:

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Dragonfly75 wrote:

I do have a bank Visa as my default but I was just trying to use the Visa gift card for this one purchase, now that I know that's not an option I won't try it again.

Aha!  I think that this is a call to customer service issue - as far as getting a refund to your B&N gift card.

It used to be that we could pm Michael-V, but we haven't seen him in about a week and the "Admin" tag has been removed from his name.

Contributor
Dragonfly75
0 Kudos

They will let you enter the Visa (AMEX, etc...) Gift Card as your default payment but you cannot complete a purchase of a NOOKbook with that gift card.  I was told it has something to do with the publishers.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Dragonfly75 wrote:

They will let you enter the Visa (AMEX, etc...) Gift Card as your default payment but you cannot complete a purchase of a NOOKbook with that gift card.  I was told it has something to do with the publishers.

I think this BS from a CSR, because it used to work - even to purchase books.  I think there's a foul up in their order processing system and this explanation seems more palatable so they've been told to use it until the B&N IT staff figures out what the h-e-double hockeysticks is going on.  :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
Ed_Mart

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya wrote:

Dragonfly75 wrote:

I think this BS from a CSR, because it used to work - even to purchase books.  I think there's a foul up in their order processing system and this explanation seems more palatable so they've been told to use it until the B&N IT staff figures out what the h-e-double hockeysticks is going on.  :smileywink:

Ya_Ya is right, the CSR didn't know what he/she was talking about.  A VISA gift card can be used as a default card as long as it is tied to your address - meaning the card needs a billing address that is the same as your address.  Without a billing address the card will not work.  Not all gift cards allow for a billing address, you have to go the website for your card to check.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Dragonfly75 wrote:

The only thing it has to do with publishers is they have to approve the DRM used. B&N, libraries and many other retailers use Adobe Content Server for authentication. Authentication (DRM) is what unlocks the eBook so you can read it.

One of the options in Adobe Content Server 4 is to allow local authentication rather than just server authentication.  Local authentication has some advantages over server authentication or at least the way it is presented by Adobe this is the case. B&N chose to use local authentication and your credit card as a means for authorizing and unlocking eBooks. As a consumer the problems this has created appear to outweigh any advantage over server authentication. In part because Adobe's own eReader application does not recognize local authorization.

As to your problem, if Tech Support cannot get you answers try a different contact point. Choose an option other than Tech Support from the menu. The organization of B&N is a little murky to me. One of the options is Place or manage an existing order.  This may be who we should be contacting for billing problems rather than Tech Support.

Contributor
Dragonfly75
0 Kudos

The option I have been choosing for customer service is the one for "Existing Orders" not tech support.  I'd be happy to call again if I thought I could get this resolved but considering everything I've already done, that's seems pointless.  This is horrible customer service...  :smileysad:

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Dragonfly75 wrote:

The option I have been choosing for customer service is the one for "Existing Orders" not tech support.  I'd be happy to call again if I thought I could get this resolved but considering everything I've already done, that's seems pointless.  This is horrible customer service...  :smileysad:

Then try Digital Tech Support. Tech Support in NJ should be capabale of handling this. The offshore call center I am not sure of.

If you have to wait more than 10 minutes on hold hang up and call later. The longer you are on hold the better your chances of routing to the offshore call center.

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

The OP is not trying to make the Visa Giftcard the default card - was just trying to pay the balance on a book.  The gift card never got charged and needs the BN card refunded.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

B&N's CS definitely needs a lot of improvement.  Try calling first thing in the morning,  like maybe 9am,  if at all possible.     I know it's a hassle but it is the principle of the thing and your gift card should be refunded.   Perhaps even try talking to a B&N store manager?

Linda

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Dragonfly75 wrote:

Nevertheless, you're entitled to your refund, so you should keep calling, and keep telling them what you want in a slow, clear cool voice, and keep repeating it until you get what you want.

If you give up, the terrorists win. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
tophatHK
0 Kudos

I purchased nook color on Saturday It is now Wednesday I still cannot get it registered.B&N has the worst customer service reps I have ever encountered.Aside from not being able to understand the accent do, not try to talk to a supervisor .The wait is at least 20 minutes.If you ask for an American rep you become a pariah They are supposed to connect to an American as soon as possible I had one rep refuse to give me his I.D.These people are programmed to do it one way,They all do it the same way It does not matter that it does not work.After  5 days I am returning my 250 dollar piece of crap and buying a Kimmel.Iam also telling everone what a lousy system B&N has Word of mouth is a powerful tool

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

tophatHK wrote:

I purchased nook color on Saturday It is now Wednesday I still cannot get it registered.B&N has the worst customer service reps I have ever encountered.Aside from not being able to understand the accent do, not try to talk to a supervisor .The wait is at least 20 minutes.If you ask for an American rep you become a pariah They are supposed to connect to an American as soon as possible I had one rep refuse to give me his I.D.These people are programmed to do it one way,They all do it the same way It does not matter that it does not work.After  5 days I am returning my 250 dollar piece of crap and buying a Kimmel.Iam also telling everone what a lousy system B&N has Word of mouth is a powerful tool

Yawns

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@tophatHK

A Kimmel is a porcelain figurine - no moving parts, no screen, does nothing other than sit on a shelf and gather dust.

Now y'all have fun with that Kimmel.

It's Colander time again  :smileyvery-happy:

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ummm, a HUMMEL is a porcelain figure.  A Kimmel is non-existent except as a talk show host.  Turn in your Colander!  :smileytongue:

►Without order there is chaos◄