Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ardeur
0 Kudos

Help choosing a cover...

I really need help choosing a cover for my nook (not the nook color). We do not have a B&N bookstore around here since they all went out of business; otherwise I would go into a store and look at the covers myself.

I primarily need the cover to protect my nook while it is in my backpack with my books and other items. So the cover needs to close securely and protect the nook when it might get bounced around or squished between textbooks.

I think I've ruled out covers which use the magnetic flap closures. I need it to stay closed when it's in my backpack.

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

Re: Help choosing a cover...

The Madison Trifold has two snaps to keep it open or closed, and it's gotten good reviews.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Madison-Trifold-Cover-in-Crimson/e/9781615598793/?cds2Pid=35723

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@ardeur

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

I have this cover, and I love it:

Madison Trifold Cover in Crimson ; it also comes in Mink: 

Madison Trifold Cover in Mink

I travel abroad quite a bit, and it provides great wraparound protection in my carryon.  It can also accommodate a stylus and the eLuminator 2 light from M-Edge.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

I have the Madison Trifold in Mink. Lovely color. I use it when I take the Nook out of the house.

What is neat is that when you open the cover to read the flaps don't get in the way. You can fold both behind the back and they snap together to hold the cover open and also makes a firm gripping surface.

You can see a picture of how it does that if you click on the small pictures on the page at B&N. It's the fourth picture in the slide show.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Madison-Trifold-Cover-in-Mink/e/9781615598809/?bnit=H&bnrefer=EBOOKS...

Contributor
JoAnnB
0 Kudos

My vote is for the Madison Tri-fold also.  I have it in Red and love it.  It stays securely closed and I can keep my Nook in my purse or in my laptop bag without any worries.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

ardeur wrote:

I really need help choosing a cover for my nook (not the nook color). We do not have a B&N bookstore around here since they all went out of business; otherwise I would go into a store and look at the covers myself.

I primarily need the cover to protect my nook while it is in my backpack with my books and other items. So the cover needs to close securely and protect the nook when it might get bounced around or squished between textbooks.

I think I've ruled out covers which use the magnetic flap closures. I need it to stay closed when it's in my backpack.

Do you have a Best Buy in your area? Ours has a pretty good selection. I actually love my M-Edge Latitude Jacket. Has padding and zips closed. Will fold back like a book cover when reading. 

LisaB

Reader
cinmor
0 Kudos

I'm not sure I posted my first message corrected.  I recommended the Industriell Cover by B&N for $29.95, even though it is magnetic.  I have used mine in a backpack and many purses and have never had it open on me.

For the price, and it still looks brand new after being used daily, please give it consideration.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Haleakala_LKB wrote:

ardeur wrote:

Do you have a Best Buy in your area? Ours has a pretty good selection. I actually love my M-Edge Latitude Jacket. Has padding and zips closed. Will fold back like a book cover when reading. 

LisaB

Given your description, I highly second the Best Buy M Edge recommendation. Also they can ship it to you as well. 

It is not the fancy looking leather, think of it more like a camera bag material, but it is padded, super thin and light, and zips up fully to protect.  Comes in black or red. 

9834595 Larger Front

Reader 4
Geistjaeger
0 Kudos

Another vote for the M-Edge products--I have a "Latitude" whereas my wife has a "Capital."  We're both very happy with the covers and they are the type that fully zips closed around our readers (I have a Nook Classic and she has a 3rd Gen Kindle).

Much greater inventory of M-Edge products on Amazon (I know, I know, gasp...the competition; however, they do sell things other than books)--service on delivery of the "Capital" cover was fast and efficient!

Enjoy!

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

This is what I use, and the quality is excellent. It's only $15.00, and I can hardly believe it because it's so well made.

http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Nero-Leather-Elite-nook/dp/B000BULO5E/ref=cm_cr-mr-img

Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

I have the Kate Spade cover, and while it does not fasten, I haven't had it come apart in my backpack or purse. However, I don't have a lot of "scratching objects" in my purse. It really holds together as well as a hardback book does, so if you don't have problems with normal DTB books in your purse or backpack, it could work. (I used to have the cheaper green leather-esque cover; it didn't hold together as well.)

My husband has the MEdge Latitude zipper case. He is a truck driver and can destroy anything; the cover has done a great job protecting his nook. You can order different colors than black from the MEdge website, if you want a bit more style.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

I have a cover that makes my Nook look like a journal.  If you are putting it in a backpack I would not get a "cover" but some type of case or sleeve like the M-Edge product recommended.  This will pad you Nook better and keep paper dust and other stuff that collects in the bottom of a backpack from getting in one of the ends (which are usually open on a cover).

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

I have a cover that makes my Nook look like a journal.  If you are putting it in a backpack I would not get a "cover" but some type of case or sleeve like the M-Edge product recommended.  This will pad you Nook better and keep paper dust and other stuff that collects in the bottom of a backpack from getting in one of the ends (which are usually open on a cover).

Cases and sleeves do provide good protection in backpacks and bags.  The problem with them is that Nooks have to come OUT of them to be used.  This can be a problem if you're butterfingered/not so totally coordinated, like me.  Factor in the strange attractive force that concrete floors seem to exert on them, and a naked Nook can be a tragedy waiting to happen. :smileysad:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

You are right in wanting something that closes.  If you get one that doesn't you can get a thin hairband to wrap around it.  My m-edge trip has something like that and I found out today that a small amount of spilt milk came right off

Contributor
Whtwolf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I picked up one of the covers from Oberon Designs (Google the name to find there site). They do cost a bit more then most of the ones here, but I liked the designs a lot better. Also, they do stay closed and have about a 1/4 inch of extra space around the edge to help protect the Nook in case of fall.

Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up - Chinese Proverb
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Answering a bunch of points in one post: 

Magnet covers having secure magnets, not likely to come open - I have a magnet closure cover for at home, and it is fairly secure. But just staying closed isn't enough when the NOOK is in my purse. I want to make sure nothing in my purse or bag slips in between the cover and the NOOK screen and damages it.

Not being able to read NOOK while it is in all enclosing "Case" - The M-Edge Latitude DOES unzip and the cover flip back to read, so you don't need to remove it to use. 

Latitude jacket being utilitarian, rather than terribly attractive - point taken. And though it is shown in a variety of colors, for the NOOK is comes in only red or black. But I use it for protecting my NOOK. For "pretty" I have a JAVOedge Cherry Blossom cover I use at home. 

LisaB