Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
stradavarius
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

When i travel, my laptop is connected to the hotel wi-fi, which only allows one device per room to connect; so the only way to purchase or download new books is through 3g.  I had a Nokia Internet Tablet with only wifi and I found it incredibly annoying to have to search for a hotspot everytime I wanted to connect.  After that experience, I will only purchase devices with the option for both 3g and wi-fi.  You never need 3g until you don't have it.  Then it's too late. 

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

stradavarius wrote:

When i travel, my laptop is connected to the hotel wi-fi, which only allows one device per room to connect; so the only way to purchase or download new books is through 3g.  I had a Nokia Internet Tablet with only wifi and I found it incredibly annoying to have to search for a hotspot everytime I wanted to connect.  After that experience, I will only purchase devices with the option for both 3g and wi-fi.  You never need 3g until you don't have it.  Then it's too late. 

You can purchase on your laptop and side load.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

stradavarius wrote:

When I travel I plan ahead and take enough ebooks for the entire trip.

Just in case I end up in a hotel that does not have Wifi (why would I do that?), I carry a small pocket wifi in my computer bag.  No more limitations of one per room.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

This function came in handy last week when the servers went out. :smileyhappy:

What servers went out last week?

Contributor
stradavarius
0 Kudos

True, I misspoke with regards to the only way.  However, hitting the "check for new content button" and having it connect is much simpler.  Sideloading is a couple of extra steps.

But the fact still remains, wi-fi hotspots are never around when you actually need them.  And when they are, the signal is weak or it keeps dropping the connections.  With 3g as well, you are done in seconds.

Contributor
stradavarius
0 Kudos

I try to plan ahead, but sometimes my travel can be up to a few months.  And I never know what I'll feel like reading next week, let alone next month!  To me it's worth the extra money up front for the few times you need the connection.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

The WiFi servers for Nook went down sometime early on 6/15.  It appears to have been a regional problem that has since been resolved, but it took nearly five days to get things back on an even keel. Nook owners in my region were unable to download books onto their Nooks via the WiFi. I'm a regular at the Nook desk at my store and we had some very unhappy customers.

Everything was fine once we switched the Nooks over to the 3G network. I was glad I had the back up option with my Nook because book withdrawl is not a pretty sight. :smileyhappy:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Distinguished Correspondent
Saint_Nookolas
0 Kudos

3G

Absolutely, hands-down.  In fact, while I appreciate the speed of the Wi-Fi, if I had to choose only one of the two features, I would pick 3G over Wi-Fi.  Here's why:

1) Battery life.  It's been my experience that Wi-Fi saps battery strength from my Nook much quicker than 3G.

2) Ubiquitous (almost. nice oxymoron though).  Finding Wi-Fi is not nearly as easy as finding 3G, especially if you spend a lot of "windshield" time in over-the-road travel to remote areas.  

3) Speed.  Although Wi-Fi is faster for browsing, searching, etc., I've noticed no noticeable difference in downloads themselves and the speed of the 3G has been satisfactory in my experience.

4) Conflicts.  I have occasionally experienced technical glitches when attempting to access various types of wireless networks in my travels that I have not experienced with 3G.

I noticed that the v1.4 update changes the default connection to Wi-Fi over 3G. I'm waiting to see how I like that.  I've often used 3G over Wi-Fi in order to conserve battery life.  I don't know if I will still have that option now.  Probably not a big issue to most, but as you can tell, I have been a fan of the 3G functionality.  It has really helped fit my particular professional and personal life-style.

That's just my two-cents.  Quirky perhaps, but to each their own.  I'm sure that whichever model you choose, you will enjoy the Nook tremendously.  I was initially hesitant about e-readers but I'm completely sold on them now.  Good luck and happy Nooking!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@Dakkin:

Ok, so you are talking about the IN-STORE wifi, not your own home wifi, and not the servers at B&N's on line shopping.

The in-store wifi is great for Read-In-Store or instore specials, and 3G is no substitute for that. You can't read in store over 3G.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

That is why you get the Nook with both.  Problem solved. :smileyhappy:

Darkkin
0 Kudos

I use the WiFi way more than I use the 3G, both at home and in-store.  The 3G coverage in my area isn't very strong so I like having both functions, just in case something went awry like it did last week.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

@Dakkin:

Ok, so you are talking about the IN-STORE wifi, not your own home wifi, and not the servers at B&N's on line shopping.

The in-store wifi is great for Read-In-Store or instore specials, and 3G is no substitute for that. You can't read in store over 3G.

The B&N servers were down for at least one night last week.  Many couldn't purchase, view their ebook libraries online, or access the boards.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

icebike wrote:

@Dakkin:

The B&N servers were down for at least one night last week.  Many couldn't purchase, view their ebook libraries online, or access the boards.

Ok, but how is that germane to the issue of wifi or 3g?  

Down for one is down for both.

SH*T Happens.  Its the internet.  3G would not have helped.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

Nallia wrote:

icebike wrote:

@Dakkin:

Ok, but how is that germane to the issue of wifi or 3g?  

Down for one is down for both.

SH*T Happens.  Its the internet.  3G would not have helped.

It's really not relevant at all.  :smileytongue:

Darkkin
0 Kudos

Actually it did.  The 3G allowed for myself and others to shop via the Nook, while the WiFi servers were down. Granted we couldn't do the Read In-store or browse the web, but we were still able to access the books, so it definitely pays to have the 3G.  :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

Actually it did.  The 3G allowed for myself and others to shop via the Nook, while the WiFi servers were down. Granted we couldn't do the Read In-store or browse the web, but we were still able to access the books, so it definitely pays to have the 3G.  :smileyhappy:

But you could have gone home, to the starbucks down the street or McDonnalds with your WiFi only nook and had JUST as much luck.

Other than In Store only items, there is no point to going to B&N JUST for the WiFi.

Darkkin
0 Kudos

It wasn't just the In-Store WiFi that was down; it was the entire server.  I couldn't download at home or at MacDonalds if my life depended on it.  All you got if you tried downloading over the WiFi was:Network Unavailable. Call 1-800-THEBOOK.  I was grateful for my 3G, even with my home WiFi and the In-Store access.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

It wasn't just the In-Store WiFi that was down; it was the entire server.  I couldn't download at home or at MacDonalds if my life depended on it.  All you got if you tried downloading over the WiFi was:Network Unavailable. Call 1-800-THEBOOK.  I was grateful for my 3G, even with my home WiFi and the In-Store access.

Sorry, that's just not true.

The B&N central servers were down.  If THAT was the incident you were talking about 3G would NOT have helped.

There are not separate servers for 3G and WiFi.  

Once 3G hits the nearest Cell tower, its the same as WiFi or wired connection from there on out.  

Darkkin
0 Kudos

Truce...You know what you know; I know what I know.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

Truce...You know what you know; I know what I know.

I KNOW that during that time anything I purchased via my laptop downloaded via wifi to my nook... :smileyhappy:

That's pretty much the only way I purchase from B&N anyway...