Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

 


Darkkin wrote:

Truce...You know what you know; I know what I know.


 

 

As you wish.

 

But also know this:  There are truths in this world.  Cognitive relativism not withstanding.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

Be that as it may: I live in my own little world, down the rabbit hole and out of sight.  :smileywink:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Frequent Contributor
nooksst
Posts: 76
Registered: ‎06-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

OMG, there are places in the US with no 3G?  I leave the 3G on and wifi off unless I'm on the web.  I don't worry about the battery.  5-10 days?  Who cares?  I like looking at all the BN freebies on their nickel.  Now, that's fun.  Dude, wifi isn't free.  You have to go where they have it, like work, whoopee, like stay at home, doh, like go somewhere, they want you to buy something.  If it's not freedom, it's not free.  Have some coffee.  How about a cookie?

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

 


icebike wrote:

 


Darkkin wrote:

It wasn't just the In-Store WiFi that was down; it was the entire server.  I couldn't download at home or at MacDonalds if my life depended on it.  All you got if you tried downloading over the WiFi was:Network Unavailable. Call 1-800-THEBOOK.  I was grateful for my 3G, even with my home WiFi and the In-Store access.


 

 

Sorry, that's just not true.

 

The B&N central servers were down.  If THAT was the incident you were talking about 3G would NOT have helped.

 

There are not separate servers for 3G and WiFi.  

Once 3G hits the nearest Cell tower, its the same as WiFi or wired connection from there on out.  


 

 

Right.  When the servers were down 3G and WiFi didn't work to shop at all.  Neither did trying to shop directly through the web site.  As you already know, my experience wasn't unique.  There were hundreds of posts on this board last week from all over the country about it.

 

Maybe there are some magic NOOKs out there.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

Point conceeded.  To the victor go the spoils. Oh, well.  I still have my own little world 3G and all.:smileywink:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
Posts: 3,425
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

[ Edited ]

 


Nallia wrote:

 

 

Right.  When the servers were down 3G and WiFi didn't work to shop at all.  Neither did trying to shop directly through the web site.  As you already know, my experience wasn't unique.  There were hundreds of posts on this board last week from all over the country about it.

 

Maybe there are some magic NOOKs out there.  :smileywink:


 

 

I just checked my account, I have 3 books (2 purchased/1 free) on the 17th and 1 book (free) on the 18th and they all downloaded great using my laptop and wifi...  I know the 17th was a problem day for some/most, I'm not sure about the 18th.

 

In fact those books all downloaded to 2 nooks on those days.

Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

 


FrogAlum wrote:

 


Nallia wrote:

 

 

Right.  When the servers were down 3G and WiFi didn't work to shop at all.  Neither did trying to shop directly through the web site.  As you already know, my experience wasn't unique.  There were hundreds of posts on this board last week from all over the country about it.

 

Maybe there are some magic NOOKs out there.  :smileywink:


 

 

I just checked my account, I have 3 books (2 purchased/1 free) on the 17th and 1 book (free) on the 18th and they all downloaded great using my laptop and wifi...  I know the 17th was a problem day for some/most, I'm not sure about the 18th.

 

In fact those books all downloaded to 2 nooks on those days.


 

I'm not sure exactly which day I had issues, but it was only one night.  I couldn't purchase anything from about 7 PM MDT and then it was fine again in the morning.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

You land on your face once you quickly learn not to do it again.  Lesson learned.  Love my Nook 3G and all.:smileywink:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Contributor
MaverickNY
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎06-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

I like having both.  I use 3G more than I thought I would.  That said, If I got a WiFi only version as a gift, I would be incredibly grateful and wouldn't give the 3G option a thought!

Correspondent
Cleos_Mum
Posts: 87
Registered: ‎03-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

My mother has been looking at getting a Nook, and now with the price drop, I think she is finally going for it. I advised her to get the 3G version, as she does not have a reliable internet connection at home. She lives in a relatively remote area, and believe it or not, still uses dial-up for internet access. 

 

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“The greatest gift is a passion for reading.”
- Elizabeth Hardwick

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
Posts: 4,434
Registered: ‎11-30-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

 


Cleos_Mum wrote:

My mother has been looking at getting a Nook, and now with the price drop, I think she is finally going for it. I advised her to get the 3G version, as she does not have a reliable internet connection at home. She lives in a relatively remote area, and believe it or not, still uses dial-up for internet access. 

 


 

 

Dial Up Land.. 

 

Take a look at this map, and zoom in http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data

 

You want to make sure she lives in a blue area (any shade) to take advantage of the Free wireless (3g).

Frequent Contributor
Killsocket
Posts: 70
Registered: ‎06-21-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

Serious question: 

Why is 3G so important? Because of travel? Because of access nearly anywhere?

 

I would, personally, get the Wi-Fi only version if I could get one today (I still might within my 14 day window). Here's why:

 

If I travel, nearly all hotels now have free Wi-Fi. Cripes, drive to a McDonald's parking lot for a minute or two if you need a book that bad. 

If I travel, I would plan ahead and purchase a book or two before I go so I wouldn't be in the middle of nowhere without something to read. 

If I use it mostly at home where I have Wi-Fi, I only need Wi-Fi. 

 

 

I mean, maybe it's my personal lifestyle, but I just can't imagine being in a car or a bus or a plan and be so totally unprepared without an unread book on my Nook that I need to purchase RIGHT NOW. But that's me. :smileyhappy:  

 

However, having the option is nice. But $50 is $50 when I might not have to 3G at all. BUT, that said, with a 3G Nook, the argument could be you don't need Wi-Fi then either (unless you want to use the web feature). It's the convenience of not having to worry getting to a Wi-Fi spot when you want a new book. That convenience cost $50. :smileywink:

Correspondent
Cleos_Mum
Posts: 87
Registered: ‎03-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?


icebike wrote:

 

Dial Up Land.. 

 

Take a look at this map, and zoom in http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/#?type=data

 

You want to make sure she lives in a blue area (any shade) to take advantage of the Free wireless (3g).


@icebike - thanks for the link to the map. Now I am certain that the 3G is the way for her to go. Of course, if she wants to save the $50, she could always come to my house to access the wi-fi.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
“The greatest gift is a passion for reading.”
- Elizabeth Hardwick

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
Posts: 2,224
Registered: ‎08-15-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

This is a great reference for Nook customers around my area.  The AT&T coverage is 'interesting' to say the least.  Thanks.  :smileyhappy:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Contributor
moemac
Posts: 57
Registered: ‎06-24-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

After spending hours last night deciding between the Nook and Kindle (Nook, natch), I just spent the morning deciding between the wifi only and 3g models. It came down to where and how I live. I do have wireless wifi at home, which is nice if I wanted to download an ebook there, but I am hardly ever home. My city does not have a free wifi and there is only one Barnes & Noble store here, so with that and the fact that I do not have a car and can't pop over to a McDonalds, I am picking the 3g.

 

 I do travel a bit and surprisingly, most of the hotels I have stayed at do not have free wifi either. I spent a week in NYC and had to pay for my wifi access in the hotel. I do have an iphone, so I know all about At&t 3g access and I love, love, love being able to use the web on that device anytime I like. I would hate having to roam over the city looking for a wifi connection (as I have done once in an area that 3g wasn't available).

 

Besides, I am notoriously fickle when it comes to books. Sometimes I am just not in the mood to read certain books and I always get book envy when I see other people reading books that I want to read. I want to be able to download it ASAP.

"Don't parse the blurb"
Contributor
ack_bak
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎05-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

Picked up a Nook for my wife for Mother's Day and she (and I) fell in love with it.  We are both avid readers and just loved the size, form factor, interface, etc of the Nook.

 

So.  My wife bought me my own Nook for Father's Day/Birthday.  After B&N announced the wifi only version I really debated returning my 3G/wifi version but came to the conclusion that I travel enough that it is nice to have the 3G.  Vacations were also a concern as it can be spotty getting free wifi access on some of our vacations and I did not want to get stranded.

 

I think, over time, the extra $50 will pay for itself, especially over the course of 5+ years of useage.

Inspired Contributor
Digivolution
Posts: 41
Registered: ‎06-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

[ Edited ]

I would go with the Wifi only version since your friend has wireless at home.Also with the new firmware, there are AT&T Wifi hotspots at almost every McDonalds if he absolutely needs to buy something on the go.

 

The $50 you save in the purchase cost could buy them a nice cover for their Nook instead.

 

JMHO

Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy, but socially dead.
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Help me Decide 3G or Not?

 


moemac wrote:

 

 I do travel a bit and surprisingly, most of the hotels I have stayed at do not have free wifi either. I spent a week in NYC and had to pay for my wifi access in the hotel. I do have an iphone, so I know all about At&t 3g access and I love, love, love being able to use the web on that device anytime I like. I would hate having to roam over the city looking for a wifi connection (as I have done once in an area that 3g wasn't available).

 


 

Welcome!  If you're half as happy with your Nook as I am, you'll be very happy. :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

One caveat, though:  you won't be able to use Nook's web browser over 3G -- the browser is WiFi only.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+