Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
CarolWS
0 Kudos

High Cost of Nook books

Why is the cost of a nook book very often more expensive than buying the paperback?  I'm not willing to pay that price.  I'm starting to regret buying the nook.  I'll be going back to buying paperbacks.

Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

Re: High Cost of Nook books

If the book is published by MacMillan, Harper Collins, Simon & Schuster, Penguin or Hatchette Group or one of their imprints, the price of the book is set by the publisher, and no discounting is allowed, unlike paperback books, which can be discounted.  It's Apple's fault. They knew they couldn't compete with Amazon, and Macmillan and the other publishers weren't happy with Amazon's heavy discounting of new releases, so they proposed switching to an agency model, where the publisher sets the price, and the bookseller is only the publisher's agent, getting 30% of the price.

Contributor
CarolWS
0 Kudos

Was this a recent move?  Too bad.   I'll be downloading ebooks for the library until the prices are more reasonable.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

eBooks are usually only slightly higher at most, often I see them a lot cheaper, and there are tons of free eBooks.  In the end I bet I save just as much on some ebooks compared to paperback as I would spend on other eBooks compared to paperback

for example, latest book I bought for wife is 'Water for Elephants'.  $5.00 nook price, $8.25 paperback

I bought 'Gods and Generals' for my Uncles Nook, $6.15 eBook price, $7.91 paperback

So I don't think it is 100% correct to think overall Nook will cost you more then paperbacks in total.  depends I guess on the books and again between the free books and others being cheaper, I bet it balances out

plus I didn't buy a nook to save $ (although i LOVE the library feature) - I bought it for convience, espeially when traveling, and because I love having all my books in one place.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

I understand that there is an anti-trust investigation going on over this.  It may be that this will be considered some form of illegal price fixing.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/03/ebook-pricing-deals-may-v_n_667919.html

Book publishers' eBook deals with Apple and Amazon may violate competition laws, the Wall Street Journal reported Monday. Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal has expressed his concerns over the "agency model" agreements publishers have made with eBook sellers which ensure that the publishers can determine the minimum prices for eBooks.

In letters to both Amazon and Apple (embedded below), Blumenthal refers to a March New York Times piece which details the ongoing battle between Amazon and book publishers in the wake of Apple's debut of its iBookstore. The Attorney General says that he has been following the issue "with great interest" as it has developed, and that he fears that Apple's and Amazon's deals may be an example of a "most favored nation" (MFN) clause, which is "not per se legal." When publishers made deals with Apple for the launch of the iBookstore, Apple asked them to guarantee that they would not allow any other eBook seller to maintain lower prices than Apple's. This was a major stipulation in Apple's agreement to use the "agency model" for eBook pricing, wherein the publishers would set the minimum price for all eBooks sold.

Amazon initially fought back when publishers demanded they re-negotiate their eBook deals, though in the end, they grudgingly agreed. The biggest battles were with publishers Macmillan and Penguin, both of which were big supporters of Apple from the beginning of the controversy. During negotiations, things got ugly. Amazon removed the "Buy" buttons from all books from Macmillan and Penguin, and also briefly cut prices dramatically on Penguin hardcovers to push the company towards an eBook agreement. ("Buy" buttons were also briefly removed for some Hachette titles.) When Amazon finally capitulated based on the threat of not being able to compete with Apple, they kept disclaimers indicating the following for agency model books: "this price was set by the publisher."

The only publisher that will not be affected by the Attorney General's investigation is giant Random House. Random House remains the only large publisher not to have made an agreement with Apple -- their books are currently not available in the iBookstore. Random House has decided not to use the agency model with its retailers at this point -- likely because of the large amount of revenue they receive from Amazon under their current agreement.

The Attorney General found that eBook prices for a number of bestselling books were identical at all four major eBook retailers -- Apple, Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Borders -- and that this was "potentially depriving consumers of competitive prices." No word yet about whether Apple and Amazon have agreed to meet with Blumenthal, but the Attorney General will likely also reach out to the publishers in question.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

CarolWS wrote:

Why is the cost of a nook book very often more expensive than buying the paperback?  I'm not willing to pay that price.  I'm starting to regret buying the nook.  I'll be going back to buying paperbacks.

I have looked at many ebook prices and it seems to me like most of the books are a dollar cheaper or the same price as their paperback counterparts. I hope you didnt buy a nook so you could get books cheaper. Because you could have bought at least  20 paperbacks with the money you spent on the nook.(plus the nook and its battery wont last forever so there is cost in that as well) Most people buy ereaders to save convenience and space saving not to get books cheaper. Plus as mentioned above every classic book and many other types of books are free. So it all evens out in the end.

So I guess the bottom line is, an ereaders purpose is not to save you money but to offer convenience. When people understand that they will be willing to pay at most the same price as a paperback for their ebooks.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

CarolWS wrote:

Did you check e-book prices prior to purchasing your Nook or just assume that e-books were substantially less expensive?

These prices have essentially been in place for the past year.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I didn't buy my nook because the ebooks were cheaper, I bought it for the convenience of having thousands of books in place of carrying one.

Correspondent
toy4x4
0 Kudos

I have not bought a single book from B&N. Sideloading only.

Well, ok, I bought one because it was a pre-order of the next book in my favorite series...

Contributor
CarolWS
0 Kudos

I didn't buy the nook just to save money on books.   Like others I like the convenience.  That said I don't feel I should have to pay more for an ebook.  It is greener, I'm assuming less expensive to distribute and I don't have the advantage I would have with a paperback of being able to sell back to a used bookstore or give to my friends.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

CarolWS wrote:

I'm assuming less expensive to distribute and I don't have the advantage I would have with a paperback of being able to sell back to a used bookstore or give to my friends.

The publishers don't care - actually they love this part.  They don't set prices based on costs, but on what people will pay.  Of course there's a minimum price below which it's not cost-effective to bother selling a good, but after that, no seller planning to stay in business sets prices based on anything other than what people will pay.

It's also basically a myth that ereaders are greener than paper books.  The electronic components inside the ereader are not green, and it takes several years to offset the carbon footprint of its manufacture and use.  During those several years most people will either break and replace their ereader or the technology will improve and they'll buy a new one. 

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

So take advantage of your local library or of many of the free or extremely inexpensive books here on B&N.  I've found many good books for free or for around $2.99.  I've never paid more than $9.99 for an e-book unless I have a gift card and even then I hesitate.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

I have over 140 books on my NOOK. Most are freebies or special deals. I have spent less than $100 on them. In that 140 is also included "shared" books from family members who also have NOOKs. If they have purchased books I'd like, I download from them. I also have read many library books so far.  

LisaB

Inspired Contributor
BooperFH

When I got my Nook in December 2009 almost all ebooks, new releases and all, were $9.99 or lower. The price of new releases was my main reason for getting an ereader. Around March 2010, new releases jumped up to $12.99 - 14.99. Since the $9.99 price was stuck in my head, I will not pay more than $9.99 for any ebook. New releases more than 9.99 go on my wish list until the price comes down.

There are a ton of great ebook reads for $9.99 and less. Browsing through the B&N web site I am always finding new authors in my favorite genres in my price range, not to mention the shelf space I'm saving.  I still think the Nook was a great investment and do not regret it for a minute.

Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You guys can be big corporation price fixing apologists all day long if you want but, IMHO, a "book" that requires no physical manufacturing process, no physical materials, no transportation, storage, or retail shelf space and delivered in tiny files instantly via wifi (ebooks are miniscule compared to movies or mp3 files), has got to be cheaper for the manufacturer and seller. Clearly, this difference is being pocketed by the middle men here. And NOTHING on my B&N list is cheaper electronically than it is as a physical book. It seems like everything on my list is $9.99.

And quite frankly it p*sses me off as a customer. If ebook prices remain unjustifiably high MASSIVE piracy will ensue at some point. And the manufacturers will blame the customers for it.

Ironically, if B&N were selling eBooks for half as much, I'm guessing I'd buy four times as many.

AlanNJ

zenaxe wrote:

You guys can be big corporation price fixing apologists all day long if you want but, IMHO, a "book" that requires no physical manufacturing process, no physical materials, no transportation, storage, or retail shelf space and delivered in tiny files instantly via wifi (ebooks are miniscule compared to movies or mp3 files), has got to be cheaper for the manufacturer and seller. Clearly, this difference is being pocketed by the middle men here. And NOTHING on my B&N list is cheaper electronically than it is as a physical book. It seems like everything on my list is $9.99.

And quite frankly it p*sses me off as a customer. If ebook prices remain unjustifiably high MASSIVE piracy will ensue at some point. And the manufacturers will blame the customers for it.

Ironically, if B&N were selling eBooks for half as much, I'm guessing I'd buy four times as many.

I don't think anyone here is apologizing for pricing.  But the truth of the matter is that if people weren't paying high prices for e-books publishers wouldn't be charging those prices.  People are paying those prices so there's no reason for them to come down.  Whether or not the actual costs are cheaper than DTB's in irrelevant.  If people are willing to pay then the pricing will be what it is.  If I were a publisher I wouldn't lower prices just for the sake of being benevolent.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

zenaxe wrote:

has got to be cheaper for the manufacturer and seller. 

It probably is.  But what in the free-market system is priced based on what it costs?  Give me one thing.  Things are based on what people will pay.  And people are paying the price, so that's the price they're priced at.  Publishers exist to put as much money in their coffers - and their stockholders' pockets - as they can.  

If we were talking about food, medication - things necessary to preserve life - I might be able to conjure some of the outrage you're demanding of me.  But we aren't.  We're talking about (arguably the most important) incidental "luxury" purchases made by Americans.  I can't justify outrage over the prices, even if they're higher than I, personally, want to pay. 

As for ebooks vs. paper books - most of my wishlist is $9.99 or less.  Most of them are more expensive in DTB form, but not all.  I don't want any more DTBs, so I buy the ebooks.  I'm on a budget - that's why I have a wishlist - but I've not seen a price that makes me angry yet.  Sure, it would be nice if everything was less so I could buy them all now, but I feel that way when I wander through the wine selection at the liquor store, the handbags at Macy's and the pastries at Whole Foods, too.

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

I can't say I got my nook to save space or money. It was mostly convenience and plus, bookstores don't hand out free books. I have only bought one eBook, the rest have been free.

9.99 is not a bad price for a book and if it were in regular form it would probably be 14.00 . Now some of the books should not be 9.99. But some are a steal for that price.

( I do wonder about the company that charge 50.00 for an eBook. Yes I have seen that!)

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Getting a Nook has reminded me how much I love reading, and for now kick started me back to spending time each day or night reading.

now that I have, call t blind luck but I started looking for books I wanted to read and of the 8 (in the last month) I have found, every single one of them were cheaper as an ebook.  I did not set off to get cheap ebooks, they just are cheaper.

add to that the 18-20 free books (and that is with be being picky on what I download - free or not) that I have downloaded in the last ~ 6 weeks alone, and there is no way in my mind I am not ahead $ wise then buying paperbacks.

while electronic books may be cheaper to produce, there are costs as well.  the database that has to be up and running to transmit the right book, the infastructure to support the wi fi and 3g transfers, the data lines to handle the volumes. there are costs, and it may not be as cheap as we might tend to think