Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
tomfenn

Honestly, you are losing my business.....

For the fourth time in 2 weeks I have refused to buy from B & N because the savings cost of a new book makes no sense to just buying the hard cover version. Today's book was "Sweet Heaven" and the cost was $14.something high  and cost of it new was $16.25. What is the point of having the cost so high for an ebook? And I don't want to here how it is a new book. Kindle has the same book for $9.99. So, again, I will order a book from Amazon to read on my IPad. Thing is, I want to read it on my Nook. Is B & N in the business of going out of business? 

Inspired Correspondent
apetit

Re: Honestly, you are losing my business.....

Wow:  Both B&N and Amazon show the retail price of the e-book at 24.95, but Amazon, indeed, discounts it more.  This makes me wonder about the talk I have heard about the publishers setting the prices of e-books.  I would guess this means that Amazon is taking a smaller commission under the agency model  than B&N - and trying to make it up on quantity.  This bodes ill for the future.  I think we, the consumers, are destined to be the fodder in a price war...

Wordsmith
ProfReader

[ Edited ]

apetit wrote:

Wow:  Both B&N and Amazon show the retail price of the e-book at 24.95, but Amazon, indeed, discounts it more.  This makes me wonder about the talk I have heard about the publishers setting the prices of e-books.  I would guess this means that Amazon is taking a smaller commission under the agency model  than B&N - and trying to make it up on quantity.  This bodes ill for the future.  I think we, the consumers, are destined to be the fodder in a price war...

The publisher of this book is not a member of the agency six therefore the bookseller can sell this book for whatever they deem fit. If it is an agency six book then the price is set by the publisher and no one can sell it for less than Apple sells it for in the Ibook store.Also Amazon can afford to sell alot of books at a loss something that B&N cannot afford.

@tomfenn  That 1 star review that you left is BS dude that isn't helpful and does a disservice to the author. Also B&N may very well match this price.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

I always dislike complaints about pricing. In this case it's not an Agency book and B&N is free to sell it at any price. The list price is $24.95 and B&N is selling it for $14.92. That's a very deep discount, indeed, yet you want to complain about the price? Oh, Amazon has it cheaper. That means Amazon is willing TO LOSE MONEY to get you to buy it from them. You have to know that they will make that money up somewhere else. It stinks that Amazon uses a proprietary format and DRM, locking you into their book store and their device, otherwise you'd be able to buy from Amazon in this case. That's a BIG problem with Amazon, but if you'd really rather live with a company that behaves that way (hint... you'll eventually pay for this decision) then certainly, forget your NOOK and buy a Kindle. In the meantime, I'll gladly continue buying the vast majority of my books for the same price you do, comparison shop for non-agency books buying from anyone but Amazon, and enjoy true consumer freedom. All in all, you won't save any money even in the short term.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite

Then don't buy from BN and keep it moving. Why you felt the need to give the author one star for something that they had nothing to do with is offensive enough. But then to come here and blast BN for not giving a steep enough discount is ridiculous.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

i've got a feeling that most people do not know how authors, publishers, and stores are compensated for books.  I know that I do not have a complete understanding of it.  That lack of understanding is most likely the cause of price complaints.  

If anyone here knows how this breaks out, please start a new thread and let us know.  Really:  Inquiring minds want to be enlightened!

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie

I do agree that giving an author an poor rating due to price of the book is unfair.

However, I think it makes sense to check prices on ebooks.  If you have an ipad or another ereader that reads books from Amazon and the book is cheaper, by all means purchase it from Amazon.

I believe if you are concerned about the difference in pricing you should have the right to post your feelings.  These days most people have to price check just about everything and buy where you save a bit of your hard-earned money.

New User
chelsea0011
0 Kudos

Lol to the comments about my single star and the being unfair to the author. Anyone who thinks any rating on these boards really matter is just plain silly. And thanks for the useful information about comparison shopping. I did buy the book at Amazon. Who would't? But no one can tell me why it should be cheaper on Amazon. They are selling at a loss? Maybe Amazon has has better business model. You can talk all you want about publizhers setting the price but if B & N can't keep up with Amazon about pricing, they will fail. And you can count on that
Wordsmith
KingAl

[ Edited ]

chelsea0011 wrote:
Lol to the comments about my single star and the being unfair to the author. Anyone who thinks any rating on these boards really matter is just plain silly. And thanks for the useful information about comparison shopping. I did buy the book at Amazon. Who would't? But no one can tell me why it should be cheaper on Amazon. They are selling at a loss? Maybe Amazon has has better business model. You can talk all you want about publizhers setting the price but if B & N can't keep up with Amazon about pricing, they will fail. And you can count on that

Think about what you are saying. If B&N fails, then Amazon will essentially have a monopoly and will be free to charge whatever they want, which may very well be more than B&N is charging now.

Edited to add: Why do you think Amazon is selling at a loss? It's certainly not to benefit the consumer.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

chelsea0011 wrote:

I have to disagree.  Amazon sells e-books in a format that is only usable on the Kindle.  B&N sells e-books in a format that is usable by everyone else.  People are generally ignorant of this sort of thing but I have to believe there are enough people aware of this to keep B&N and other e-book retailers other than Amazon alive.  If not, well, then they get what they deserve.

I am not a B&N fanboy by any means but I am a fan of more open formats.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
bga_reviews
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

chelsea0011 wrote:

I have to disagree.  Amazon sells e-books in a format that is only usable on the Kindle.  B&N sells e-books in a format that is usable by everyone else.  People are generally ignorant of this sort of thing but I have to believe there are enough people aware of this to keep B&N and other e-book retailers other than Amazon alive.  If not, well, then they get what they deserve.

I am not a B&N fanboy by any means but I am a fan of more open formats.

This is not strictly true. Some eReaders using Adobe Reader technology (e.g., Sony, Kobo) have elected not to support the B&N DRM method on their readers.  I'm cynical so I believe that it's so that these eReader manufacturers with their own ebookstores do not want their customers to buy from a competing ebook retailer.

Contributor
annoyingboy
0 Kudos

I agree--I don't understand these complaints. If you find a product cheaper somewhere else, then just BUY IT THERE. What is the big deal?

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

bga_reviews wrote:

This is not strictly true. Some eReaders using Adobe Reader technology (e.g., Sony, Kobo) have elected not to support the B&N DRM method on their readers.  I'm cynical so I believe that it's so that these eReader manufacturers with their own ebookstores do not want their customers to buy from a competing ebook retailer.

I'm not sure about that. If they wanted to lock their customers in, they could have done what Apple did.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Sony and Kobo readers sideload from all of the ePub retailers except for Apple?

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

Tom if you want to leave then just leave, the review was classless and not related to the book itself. If that is normal behavior for you then BN doesn't need you. So enjoy your giant calucator oh I mean your kindle.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

bga_reviews wrote:

I'm not sure about that. If they wanted to lock their customers in, they could have done what Apple did.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't Sony and Kobo readers sideload from all of the ePub retailers except for Apple?

No, right now, the Sony and Kobo devices can't handle the B&N DRM. Adobe supposedly added the B&N Social DRM to the software for the devices earlier this year, but the other retailers have chosen not to incorporate it.

Distinguished Correspondent
nlstein

Sinwillard:

Well said! Amazon's lack of epub reading and proprietary DRM makes the Kindle a non-starter for me. Even my iPad can read standard epub in its iBook reader.

MacBoy
Correspondent
sharno22
0 Kudos

Hi Chelsea,

Just an FYI.  I have been in contact with an author of a mystery series I like.  She told me that the publishers do indeed read reviews.  This particular author encourages readers to write a line or two instead of just using a star rating because the publishers use the ratings and reviews to decide whether or not to continue a series.

--sharno

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

chelsea0011 wrote:
Lol to the comments about my single star and the being unfair to the author. Anyone who thinks any rating on these boards really matter is just plain silly.

Reviews matter to someone trying to find out a little something about a book online in case they might be interested in reading it.  Seriously, rating a book or giving a bad review based on the price it is selling for at that particular point in time is not only juvenile, but it helps to make the whole practive of eveing having and displaying reviews pointless.

A review or rating should be based on the books contents, period.  Your opinions about how much it is or should be worth is not relevant to the content review of the material.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:
Tom if you want to leave then just leave, the review was classless and not related to the book itself. If that is normal behavior for you then BN doesn't need you. So enjoy your giant calculator oh I mean your kindle.

I agree with this, it's rotten to leave 1 star reviews for books because of the price and it's no help at all to those of us that like to read reviews about the actual book before we purchase.  

Contributor
tricespencer
0 Kudos

I find that if the book is not an agency book an email to B&N is helpful.  Yes, you get an email back that says they do not price match but in the three events where I did email, in a few days the price was lowered.