Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

Hotspot preferences in 1.4

[ Edited ]

Hmmm...

According to the new 1.4 User Guide, page 57, the NOOK will preferentially connect to AT&T Wi-Fi over any remembered hotspots.

Aside from the security issues, what about speed? Are the AT&T hotspots pretty fast? The B&N hotspots are dog-slow in my experience.

Anyway, the new order of preference, according to the manual:

1. B&N Wi-Fi hotspot
  2. AT&T Wi-Fi hotspot
  3. Other Wi-Fi hotspot
  4. AT&T 3G (HSDPA)
  5. AT&T 3G (UMTS - WCDMA)
  6. AT&T 3G (EDGE)
  7. AT&T GPRS

I'm not clear on how this makes economic sense for B&N. Maybe they have a flat-rate deal with AT&T for the hotspot service, and don't care how much we NOOK users use it?

Added: Page 59 says that you can override the choice of hotspot in the Wi-Fi menu by choosing the desired hotspot and tapping "Connect".

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Hotspot preferences in 1.4

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Wi-Fi required for some e-book downloads on 1.4

[ Edited ]

Another interesting documentation change in the 1.4 manual, on page 57. This has been added, with an arrow:

Some operations require a Wi-Fi connection. These include downloads of very large e-books, periodicals, and magazines; and some software updates.

I wonder if this is new, or just documenting a limitation that was there all along?

Added: This caution is repeated on page 77, in the Shopping section, with the words rearranged slightly. And on page 93, in the Downloading Content section.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Wi-Fi required for some e-book downloads on 1.4

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Another interesting documentation change in the 1.4 manual, on page 57. This has been added, with an arrow:

Some operations require a Wi-Fi connection. These include downloads of very large e-books, periodicals, and magazines; and some software updates.

I wonder if this is new, or just documenting a limitation that was there all along?

That must be new or someone would have said something by now...  That would be horrible for those that don't have wifi capability!  Purchase a book from B&N and then not be able to download it?

Contributor
lyntwhit
0 Kudos

Where is the 1.4 user guide? Is the user guide already on my Nook just automatically updated to show 1.4 changes?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

lyntwhit wrote:

Where is the 1.4 user guide? Is the user guide already on my Nook just automatically updated to show 1.4 changes?

Yes, in your documents.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I read that as Large books,  Large periodicals  Large magazines and Large software updates. 

Only LARGE items.  They are putting the nook on a data diet. 

Most books are  in the 500k area.  I spoze something composed of a lot of drawings could get too big.

AT&T is squeezing data bandwidth all over the network.   

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@lyntwhit: The 1.4 manual is in 'My Documents' on your NOOK, and it's in the FAQ and Support section of the NOOK pages on this site (click the "nook" button at the top of this page).

Shortcut to the 1.4 manual (17.1MB PDF): http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_NOOK_v1_4.pdf

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icebike wrote:

I read that as Large books,  Large periodicals  Large magazines and Large software updates. 

I totally agree. But this seems to be backing away from the commitment to the folks who bought NOOK for its 3G access because they have limited Wi-Fi access.

I don't recall B&N saying anything about "you can buy e-books via 3G, but you might not be able to download them if they're big." And I strongly suspect there won't be any warnings on the appropriate e-book listings that say, "not available for 3G download". This limitation was slipped into the User Guide but wasn't otherwise publically announced.

Now I'm wondering if the 3G is a doomed feature on the NOOK. How many people are going to pay $50 more for 3G, when it:

• can't be used for anything except to buy e-books from B&N,
  • can't be used outside of the United States,
  • won't be used wherever there's a Wi-Fi hotspot available, and
  • can't be used if the e-book is too big (where "too big" is undefined)?

That's a lot of limitations on a $50 feature.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

icebike wrote:

I totally agree. But this seems to be backing away from the commitment to the folks who bought NOOK for its 3G access because they have limited Wi-Fi access.

I don't recall B&N saying anything about "you can buy e-books via 3G, but you might not be able to download them if they're big." And I strongly suspect there won't be any warnings on the appropriate e-book listings that say, "not available for 3G download". This limitation was slipped into the User Guide but wasn't otherwise publically announced.

Now I'm wondering if the 3G is a doomed feature on the NOOK. How many people are going to pay $50 more for 3G, when it:

Well you don't remember it because they JUST NOW said it.    But they did say it now.

War and Peace will download.  Its a tad big.

But every ebook has that little squib that says available for download over 3g and wifi off to the right, and it wouldn't take much to modify that to restrict some monster sized book to wifi only.

In fact, it wouldn't take much to put certain users on a diet if all they ever downloaded were free books and never purchased anything.  (But nobody suggested this might happen).

The nook's 3G data budget was negotiated with AT&T for some blanket pricing.  I suspect that it has exceeded B&N's expectations, and AT&T is pushing back.  They are offering free wifi in the hopes of getting more people off of 3G.    

So rather than 3G being a failure, I see it as a roaring success.  

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum

Doug_Pardee wrote: 

Those are exactly my thoughts!  I would like to know what "large" is!  My daughter downloads Manga from the Sony site and I tell ya, those are some darn large eBook files...

The part of this discussion on * 3G - yes or no * that I'm finding rather humorous is the "If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I won't have wifi" argument...  What have we typically heard from rural users????  They CAN'T get 3G!!!!

I know if I'm on the road from OC to Las Vegas, I ain't gonna be gettin no 3G!  :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

The part of this discussion on * 3G - yes or no * that I'm finding rather humorous is the "If I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I won't have wifi" argument...  What have we typically heard from rural users????  They CAN'T get 3G!!!!

I know if I'm on the road from OC to Las Vegas, I ain't gonna be gettin no 3G!  :smileywink:

You don't need 3G.  

The nook falls back to EDGE and GPRS if 3G is not available.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

icebike wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

You don't need 3G.  

The nook falls back to EDGE and GPRS if 3G is not available.

True, it does, but the point is if you are in the middle of nowhere, you aren't getting any reception...  One of the best reasons there is for that drive, my cell phone isn't going off all the time! :smileywink:
Seriously, we have had a lot of people complain because they don't pick up a signal at all in remote areas and some of those didn't have wifi either, they had a mess on their hands going to McDonalds and the like just to download books or updates.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike

FrogAlum wrote:

Seriously, we have had a lot of people complain because they don't pick up a signal at all in remote areas and some of those didn't have wifi either, they had a mess on their hands going to McDonalds and the like just to download books or updates.

Well, I have no idea where this line of reasoning is going now.  

Lets restrict discussion it to those people in any shade of Blue or striped Blue in the AT&T Coverage Viewer for Data.  These are the only people promised OTA downloads.  If you don't even get cell coverage there is no point in grousing about being cut off from large downloads.

I've personally download a book riding along in a car in very rural Oregon where my phone only showed 1 bar of Edge coverage.    

I think all the initial problems with ATT's partner EDGE customers not being able to register the nook were solved long ago, and no one has to drive to 3G land any more.

Frequent Contributor
Linda54660
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Quite frankly the "I don't get wifi" is a bit lame.  All you need to do is install a wireless router in your own home and you have your own personal wifi hotspot.  I installed my own in Feb after I received my nook.  I'm here to tell you, if I can do it myself, just about anyone should be able to.  I am not a tech genius, I know just enough to get myself in trouble, and I installed the router in under an hour.  :smileywink:  I live in podunk Wisconsin and only have "AT&T Partner Edge and Partner GPRS (whatever that is) so unless I drive to LaCrosse 40 minutes I have no 3G service anyway.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Linda54660 wrote:

Quite frankly the "I don't get wifi" is a bit lame.  All you need to do is install a wireless router in your own home and you have your own personal wifi hotspot.  I installed my own in Feb after I received my nook.  I'm here to tell you, if I can do it myself, just about anyone should be able to.  I am not a tech genius, I know just enough to get myself in trouble, and I installed the router in under an hour.  :smileywink:

Assuming of course you have broadband....

If I didn't have a router already, and had no other need for one (no laptops in the house) I would choose the 3G nook because its about the same cost as a router, and it works everywhere.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

I know from the beginning they have said that large software updates would require wi-fi or sideloading.  So has the size limit gone down or have they realized that things other than just software updates might exceed the limit?  The last two updates were over 60 MB.  Anyone know how big the December update (which was available via 3G) was?

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

1.1.0   29567kb

1.2.0   64252kb

1.3.0   66298kb

1.4.0   62697kb