Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook

How B&N ruined my life

The ability to side-load my existing ebook library...

The ability to borrow public library books...

The ability to buy books in seconds...

I spend so much time reading I'm neglecting my family and my wife wants a divorce.

BARNES AND NOBLE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO SELL THIS DANGEROUS PRODUCT!

Also, when I couldn't find a clean plate (because I read instead of doing housework) I used the nook to microwave up some nachos and it messed up the screen - customer service was terrible - they said it would be replaced with a remanufactured nook.  How then they make such an inferior product that it can't take little microwaving?

I should have bought a Kindle - being locked into their file format without access to my old ebooks or to library books and having to read on a giant calculator would have prevented these problems.

Seriously, I have only had my nook since Christmas, but I haven't had a single problem - I love my nook (My wife does think I read it too much)

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

Re: How B&N ruined my life

Now THIS is how a drive-by rant should be. :smileyvery-happy:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

GetLostinABook

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately, a lot of us have the same problem.

Isn't it great? :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
Xemrac

I have the perfect solution ... hubby had the same complaint about my reading so I bought him a NOOK and problem solved :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

GetLostInABook wrote:

The ability to side-load my existing ebook library...

The ability to borrow public library books...

The ability to buy books in seconds...

I spend so much time reading I'm neglecting my family and my wife wants a divorce.

BARNES AND NOBLE SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO SELL THIS DANGEROUS PRODUCT!

Also, when I couldn't find a clean plate (because I read instead of doing housework) I used the nook to microwave up some nachos and it messed up the screen - customer service was terrible - they said it would be replaced with a remanufactured nook.  How then they make such an inferior product that it can't take little microwaving?

I should have bought a Kindle - being locked into their file format without access to my old ebooks or to library books and having to read on a giant calculator would have prevented these problems.

Seriously, I have only had my nook since Christmas, but I haven't had a single problem - I love my nook (My wife does think I read it too much)

:smileyhappy:

PBReilley
0 Kudos

GetLostInABook wrote:

:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

Love it!!  We need a little levity here!

Gtriever
0 Kudos

PBReilley wrote:

I'll see your  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy: and raise you :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

This IS a funny post!

:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

Gtriever wrote:

PBReilley wrote:

I'll see your  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy: and raise you :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

This IS a funny post!

:smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

Wait!  You forgot these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Correspondent
Rocknsoul
0 Kudos

Love it! And I can totally relate.

Reader 4
jancweb
0 Kudos

I'm glad to see this did not just happen to me :smileyvery-happy:
GetLostInABook

I've been reading this board long before I made my final purchase decision and I couldn't help but wonder at a lot of the complaints.  After I got my nook and have been using it heavily for a month now without any issues, I really began to wonder.  Anyone who buys an ereader must like to read, right?  So why don't they read the manual?

Okay, so full disclosure:  It didn't update to 1.5 automagicly - I had to download the update and reboot manually.  So I guess I had one problem, but that is what I refer to in technical terms as "No Big Deal"

Wordsmith
shilohMD

GetLostInABook wrote:

I've been reading this board long before I made my final purchase decision and I couldn't help but wonder at a lot of the complaints.  After I got my nook and have been using it heavily for a month now without any issues, I really began to wonder.  Anyone who buys an ereader must like to read, right?  So why don't they read the manual?

Okay, so full disclosure:  It didn't update to 1.5 automagicly - I had to download the update and reboot manually.  So I guess I had one problem, but that is what I refer to in technical terms as "No Big Deal"

Aw, geez...there you go, spoiling this thread with a level-headed post... :smileyindifferent:

Welcome to the ranks of Nook-users who enjoy reading more than complaining :smileywink:

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Spijder
0 Kudos

This makes me think that it's about time to do a remake of that most wonderful and terrible Twilight Zone episode.  Only instead of a broken pair of glasses it would involve a dropped and broken Nook before the lamenting on how there was finally 'time enough at last'.

"They ... they have this horrible ... pudding here. Butterscotch pudding on Mondays, it's dreadful." ~Dr. Walter Bishop: Fringe
Darkkin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nook has made me an admitted addict and put me in rehab...:smileytongue:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

PBReilley
0 Kudos

Spijder wrote:

This makes me think that it's about time to do a remake of that most wonderful and terrible Twilight Zone episode.  Only instead of a broken pair of glasses it would involve a dropped and broken Nook before the lamenting on how there was finally 'time enough at last'.

Oh, yes!  The great Burgess Meredith - that was a classic, truly scary. Being a lifetime wearer of glasses I could feel his despair. Shudder.

A remake with the NOOK would include ALL readers, not just the ones who wear glasses - even scarier.

Contributor
DakotaFella
0 Kudos

Totally agree. Just yesterday I overheard my wife complaining that buying me a Nook was a big mistake.:smileyvery-happy:

DakotaFella

Dear Math, solve your own problems, I am already dealing with mine.
ABthree
0 Kudos

PBReilley wrote:

Spijder wrote:

Oh, yes!  The great Burgess Meredith - that was a classic, truly scary. Being a lifetime wearer of glasses I could feel his despair. Shudder.

A remake with the NOOK would include ALL readers, not just the ones who wear glasses - even scarier.

Yeah, but scariest of all is the deluge of one-time posts complaing about B&N Customer Service that it would provoke.  :smileytongue:

-- St. Basil the Great+
ABthree
0 Kudos

My Roomba and my Nook arrived within a week of each other about a year ago.  Talk about great synergy between technologies:  the house is a cleaner and more pleasant place to read, and not having to vacuum gives me more time to do it. :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
rovingspinster603
0 Kudos

Re: How B&N ruined my life=roomba

do those things REALLY work?  i hate to vacuum!!