Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
cynbrown
0 Kudos

How do I activate my nook to use with Adobe Digital Editions>

I have the software on my computer and the book I borrowed from my local library transferred to and shows up on my nook.  However, when I try to open it on my nook, I get the message "user is not activated."  I have my account set up on B&N and I also set up my Adobe Digital ID to match.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do to activate my user status so I can read the book on my nook?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Re: How do I activate my nook to use with Adobe Digital Editions>

You have to actually activate your NOOK inside ADE.

From the post I'm linking below:

Authorize ADE on your Nook

• Connect the Nook to your computer via the USB cable
  • Open ADE
  • ADE should “see” the Nook and the “Device Setup Assistant” box should appear.
  • Click “Authorize Device”
If you didn't get this option, try following these (written for when ADE doesn't recognize NOOK, but it should fix your problem.)
  • If ADE does not “see” the Nook, try the following steps.
  1. Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.
  2. Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.
  3. Close ADE
  4. Restart ADE
  5. Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not
  6. Go back to the Nook drive
  7. Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it
  8. Close ADE
  9. Restart ADE

10.  Nook will be visible

11.  Click “Authorize Device”

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...
New User
10sgee
0 Kudos

I found the nook on ADE as instructed, but do not get (at least do not see) a box to activate so every book I download from the library says user not activated.  Now what?

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

10sgee wrote:

I found the nook on ADE as instructed, but do not get (at least do not see) a box to activate so every book I download from the library says user not activated.  Now what?

Check out the ADE on-line help (just press F1)
Look at: http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/help/#activation

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

10sgee wrote:

Double check that you have activated the device.

Click on the word "Library" with the triangle arrow next to it at the top of the ADE screen. Click on the authorize device option again and try dragging the book to the nook icon again.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
severhill2201
0 Kudos

My nook keeps showing that I am not activated.  I downloaded the books but cannot read them.  How do I active my nook?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

severhill2201 wrote:

My nook keeps showing that I am not activated.  I downloaded the books but cannot read them.  How do I active my nook?

Did you follow the instructions in Ya_ya's post?

You have to actually activate your NOOK inside ADE.

From the post I'm linking below:

Authorize ADE on your Nook

• Connect the Nook to your computer via the USB cable
  • Open ADE
  • ADE should “see” the Nook and the “Device Setup Assistant” box should appear.
  • Click “Authorize Device”
If you didn't get this option, try following these (written for when ADE doesn't recognize NOOK, but it should fix your problem.)
  • If ADE does not “see” the Nook, try the following steps.
  1. Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.
  2. Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.
  3. Close ADE
  4. Restart ADE
  5. Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not
  6. Go back to the Nook drive
  7. Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it
  8. Close ADE
  9. Restart ADE

10.  Nook will be visible

11.  Click “Authorize Device”

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/Using-Adobe-Digital-Editions-ADE-Libra...
cvp
New User
cvp
0 Kudos

Hi everybody,

I bought a nook 1rst edition. I bought some books from no B&N store that are protected with Adobe DRM. I used to read them in my notebook.

I followed all the steps you mention. I saw the book in my Nook/My documents, but whe I tried to open it it said "user not activated".

I activated my Nook in ADE, it doesn´t work.

Do I have to install Adobe Digital Editions in my Nook? What can I do?

Thanks!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

cvp wrote:

Hi everybody,

I bought a nook 1rst edition. I bought some books from no B&N store that are protected with Adobe DRM. I used to read them in my notebook.

I followed all the steps you mention. I saw the book in my Nook/My documents, but whe I tried to open it it said "user not activated".

I activated my Nook in ADE, it doesn´t work.

Do I have to install Adobe Digital Editions in my Nook? What can I do?

Thanks!

No, you don't install ADE on your Nook.

Not sure I understand completely.  "I bought some books from no B&N store", where did you buy the books?

If you bought the books from B&N, then they won't work with ADE.

If you bought them somewhere else, then follow the instructions in the post directly above yours, or click on the link my signature, FrogAlum's Guide to Using Adobe Digital Editions. 

New User
jayy20
0 Kudos

i did everything, my nook is authorized to ADE but still when i go to read a downloaded library my nook reads it is not activated, i dont know what to do please help ASAP!

New User
LJH47
0 Kudos

Did you try deleting the .adobe-digital-editions folder on your nook? 

-Close ADE.

-Connect your nook. 

-Go to the windows display of the nook drive on your computer, then  delete the ".adobe-digital-editions" folder. 

-Eject your nook

-Reconnect your nook

When you re-open the ADE program, it will ask you to authorize the nook again.  I had already authorized mine normally, but it did the same thing yours did. Then I did this, and it worked for me.  I also had to delete the library book from my nook both in the windows view of the folder named "Digital Editions", and also when I highlighted it within the ADE program under my nook.  Then I dragged it over to my nook again.  Once I ejected the nook, it was finally there and legible - no more user activation error!  Hope this works for you...

New User
checa
0 Kudos

New User
TrinaNY

the problem is your nook came pre loaded with an authorization. you have to delete that and reactivate with adobe digital editions.(ADE)

unplug nook using safely eject device in lower right corner of your computer screen (desktop)

close ADE if running.

plug nook back in to USB port. window should show up. if not go to start>computer>right click on nook drive shown, select open.

a list of files should show up.

right click on adobe-digital-editions, select delete, confirm delete.

close window.

safely eject nook device.

unplug nook USB

Open adobe digital edition program.

plug nook USB back into computer, authorization window will pop up.

authorize nook.

TA DA your nook will work.

Suggest you drag and drop books from library on ADE to nook and replace file.

If file is corrupt you may have to delete file from nook and redrag new copy from library to nook.

New User
Yessique
0 Kudos

I want to say that this was incredibly helpful to me, much more helpful than the half a dozen people I spoke to at Adobe! I just want to add that I had to re-download the books that I was trying to put onto my Nook, so if you still have problems after following these directions, try deleting the files and downloading them again.

Reader
quaintinns
0 Kudos

I tried all your instructions twice and  says activated on both computer and nook.  I can open the books on laptop, and files are transferred to Nook; however, the files will not open the books - error message: "this nook canot read this file.  It may be an unsupported format".  what now?

Reader
quaintinns
0 Kudos

I have it working now!  Had to turn the Nook off and restart and they all are working now..Wanted everyone to know this as answered my own question; however, may be helpful to others to know you need to turn Nook off and then back on to open the files properly after following the other steps.  

New User
greenhouse
0 Kudos

cynbrown wrote:

I have the software on my computer and the book I borrowed from my local library transferred to and shows up on my nook.  However, when I try to open it on my nook, I get the message "user is not activated."  I have my account set up on B&N and I also set up my Adobe Digital ID to match.  Can anyone tell me what I need to do to activate my user status so I can read the book on my nook?

New User
Annie_kitty1
0 Kudos

Oh my goodness thank you so much. I had been using ADE for awhile now and then hadn't used my nook for a few months (college reading got in my way) and couldn't figure out what had happened when it said "user not authorized". So again thank you, so helpful!