Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Ashley17263

How do I publish my own book to the nook?

How would someone publish their book to the nook for other people to buy and download?

Could someone please help me?

Thank you :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: How do I publish my own book to the nook?

[ Edited ]

Use something like Atlantis Word processor to go directly to Epub.

Maybe start somewhere like Smashwords.com, which has many beginning authors.

They have an interesting title on the site that got high ratings: http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/305

See also this thread: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eBooks-Help-Board/Are-you-the-author-of-an-eBook-Tell-us-abou...  where B&N invites new authors to talk about their ebooks.  Maybe compare notes with someone who had done this before.

Correspondent
illmunkeys
0 Kudos

This guy goes through a lot of self-publishing stuff:

http://reviews.cnet.com/self-publishing/

New User
Twin_Terror
0 Kudos

There is a Microsoft Reader add on for Word (it works for new and old versions alike) that allows the conversion of .doc or .docx files to .lit, which Calibre can convert to .epub. If you already have Word, and are unwilling to spend extra dough to get Atlantis, this system will work.

Distinguished Correspondent
GeneHunter
0 Kudos

Save your Word document in .rtf (Rich Text Format), then use calibre to covert the .rtf to .epub.   If you have chapters, make sure there is a hard page break at the end of each chapter.

This will work for most documents. If you have any special formating, another method may be required.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Old thread

Um, do you folks know that this thread is five months old, and that the person who asked the question hasn't been back since a couple hours after she posted it?

Distinguished Correspondent
GeneHunter

Re: How do I publish my own book to the nook? (Old Thread)

Although the OP hasn't been back, this is a question that has been asked before. (May have been on another board.) Once it was brought up to the top page, might as well add my 2¢ for those who will read it.

New User
DanielleDS
0 Kudos

I still don't know the answer to this question.  I have a book in electronic copy (PDF) with final photos, fonts and all ready to upload to Nook.  Who do I call as an author interested in publishing my ebook on Nook?  What percent does Nook take etc.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

[ Edited ]

DanielleDS wrote:

I have a book in electronic copy (PDF) with final photos, fonts and all ready to upload to Nook.  Who do I call as an author interested in publishing my ebook on Nook?  What percent does Nook take etc.

I presume that you mean you want to publish via B&N, not just load the PDF onto your NOOK.

First a caveat: by-and-large, PDF-type books don't work well on e-readers. PDF is a page-layout system, while e-readers are based around the idea that page layout doesn't matter and the reader can just change the fonts and layout as necessary to make the text easily readable on a small screen. Photos don't come out too well on the small black-and-white screen with only 16 shades of gray.

Assuming that you still want to move ahead, you have two avenues open that I know of. First, you can convert your e-book to Word format and publish it through Smashwords. They distribute to a number of booksellers including B&N, Sony, Borders, Kobo, Apple, and (just getting started) Amazon.

The other route is through B&N's PubIt!, which just opened up. If you have questions about PubIt!, I suggest you ask them on the new PubIt! Help Board.

B&N Bookseller
Bonnie_W
0 Kudos

If you have Adobe InDesign (or if you download the free trial of the program from Adobe's website; the software is very expensive if you're not in publications/design or a student), you can make .epub straight from there that will run better than .pdf (which the program can also save as).

I like writing by hand before I type, so it's nice to turn my own work into .epub so that I can refer back to things I've already written when working in my notebook without having to turn on the computer (and be distracted by the internet).  This method works like a charm, but again, the software can be expensive.

How do I use InDesign to make .epub?

First, you have to copy your work into a new document.  Go to:

• File
  • Place

and choose the file you want to convert.  Then, HOLD DOWN THE SHIFT KEY and click your mouse on the page.  It is IMPERATIVE to hold down the shift key or else only the first page will copy and you'll have to add pages by hand and then put the overflow on each page.  It's way too time-consuming.  Just hold shift and click and you'll be golden.

Next, go to:

• File
  • Export for Digital Editions
  • Save As Type: .epub

I will mention that it will strip your formatting--bold, italics, color, etc.  That stuff has to be added manually while in InDesign through your Character Styles window.  It's a little more complex, so if it's not necessary, skip the extra step.  If you seriously want to learn the ins and outs of the program, you can grab a book from the Computer Reference aisle; there are some great learning tools there.  For most people trying to make .epub, I think the aforementioned steps are all you'll really need, but feel free to PM me or post here if confused. :-)

http://abackwardsstory.blogspot.com for ideas on what to read next!
(Last author interviewed: Michelle Madow; Last book reviewed: CADET OF TILDOR; Giving away: CADET OF TILDOR until Jan 31! :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
MLBerry
0 Kudos

You can also use the free programs:  Calibre and Sigil.

Frequent Contributor
Brucester
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ashley17263 wrote:

How would someone publish their book to the nook for other people to buy and download?

Could someone please help me?

Thank you :smileyhappy:

There is a free application you can get named "eBooksWriter", available from . Looks like a word processor, but can save your work directly to an epub format. My son and I both use it frequently for short stories, etc. You just have to sideload the resulting epub to your nook. Did I mention it's FREE?

(Disclaimer: I have no interest - proprietary or financial - in this software)

From our Book Club User Guidelines:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Help-Book-Clubs-My-B-N/Book-Clubs-User-Guidelines/td-p/5

No solicitation. Please do not use these forums to submit or publish any marketing communication, or to advertise or solicit for any business or enterprise. Such postings will be removed, and will result in the suspension of your access to these services. Direct links to other commercial websites are, in the main, inappropriate for our Book Club conversations.

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

Sigil is great... very nice software for putting a book into ePUB form!

Also super for editing (if needed) existing DRM free ePUBs.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.
New User
gigaenvy
0 Kudos

Re: Old thread

@Doug,

This is the Internet. My website from 2002 is still cached and so is my ISBN # from 1995 and the product I published is still on the interwebs. LOL!

New User
Pawley
0 Kudos

New User
turboaction
0 Kudos

I already have a number of books published on Kindle and would also like to publish on Nook. How do I go about this please?

Thank you

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

turboaction wrote:

I already have a number of books published on Kindle and would also like to publish on Nook. How do I go about this please?

Thank you

Did you read through this thread?  Even though it's an older one, there are options worth checking out.  Or, as the post above says, you can check the PubIt board here -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/PubIt-Help-Board/bd-p/pubit

New User
holdyourshape
0 Kudos

I have a book that was created in in design program. It is in a pdf file. My tech person converted it to epub and it became scrambled. The book is 6 by 9 with multiple illustrations. What can we do?

New User
holdyourshape
0 Kudos

When you get the answer to this question, please post to me

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Converting from PDF is very difficult. The standard was never designed to be deconstructed and what looks perfectly logical to you may be a mess of glyphs and jumping flows "under the hood."  It gets even worse with mixed graphics because text that gets too close to a graphic has to be converted to graphic in the PDF so there are no characters left to convert.

You really need to go back to the original design program and start from there.  Otherwise, you're going to need a professional-grade (and expensive) PDF deconstruction tool, a dedicated programmer, and a lot of time and luck.