Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
mvoss6

How do you delete books off your Nook?

Hi all,

I'm a new Nook owner and can't seem to figure out how to delete books/samples that I downloaded to check out and no longer want there? Am I missing something?? I figure it's not too difficult but can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks!

Maria :smileywink:

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

Re: How do you delete books off your Nook?

[ Edited ]

mvoss6 wrote:

Hi all,

I'm a new Nook owner and can't seem to figure out how to delete books/samples that I downloaded to check out and no longer want there? Am I missing something?? I figure it's not too difficult but can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks!

Maria :smileywink:

Go to your B&N Web account. This is where you delete books from.

Reader
kidbama

hello and you can also go to your library and simply hold it down and press archive .

New User
Bohemiangirl24
0 Kudos

Hi !

Go to your library, put your finger on the book you want to delete and simply press on it and hold until the menu pops up. Then select delete, whch will permanently delete that book. If you might want to read again or lend out in the future, select archive.

New User
Bohemiangirl24
0 Kudos

Oops, sorry. I have a Nook Color, not a first edition.

New User
KBoss
0 Kudos

Go to your B&N account and select the library option for your Nook, then go down and click 'delete' for the books you no longer want. It won't show up on your Nook until you turn you turn it off and then back on again. Hope I helped.
New User
strickd
0 Kudos

That works.  You can archive, delete, shelf, or several other options.  Don't need to go to website at all to do this.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

Uhm... Doesn't "Delete" totally wipe the book? That is, if one wants to later recover the book they have to pay again! The original Nook doesn't hide books in a hidden partition, you can use a USB connection to manipulate the library. I routinely move read books and magazines from internal memory to the SDHC card (original didn't merge SD "My Documents" with regular library -- unlike the HD+). Granted, finding the correct file is tricky. They show up with a 13 digit ISBN or such, one needs to track by date downloaded and/or open them in a (programming) text editor and scan to find the title.
Baron Wulfraed
Reader
ZnookZK
0 Kudos

great tip - thanks - maybe i should read the manual

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:
Uhm... Doesn't "Delete" totally wipe the book? That is, if one wants to later recover the book they have to pay again! The original Nook doesn't hide books in a hidden partition, you can use a USB connection to manipulate the library. I routinely move read books and magazines from internal memory to the SDHC card (original didn't merge SD "My Documents" with regular library -- unlike the HD+). Granted, finding the correct file is tricky. They show up with a 13 digit ISBN or such, one needs to track by date downloaded and/or open them in a (programming) text editor and scan to find the title.

Or enter the 13 digit ISBN into the B&N site.  Not sure it'd work for magazines, but for ebooks it will.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

In truth, I discovered just a few months ago that the computer application downloads the books under "condensedtitle_ISBN13" which does make it much easier to match up against the First Edition file name.

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

You can also look at the book details on the nook which will provide the isbn used as the file name.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Thing is, that option is not available when the N1E is connected via USB :catfrustrated:

You'd have to create a list of title <> ISBN first, then connect and find the files.

Since one should probably ensure a back-up of the file anyway, scanning the files for legible text or using the computer reader application to download copies with title&ISBN is just about as easy.

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

All viable options. Which is easiest will likely depend on one's situation and how they backup their nook. If one is simply moving a book one has just completed reading the looking the isbn up on the nook is quite simple. If one is going to delete many books then another of the suggested approaches is likely easier.
New User
Cufford
0 Kudos

New User
zswaggs15
0 Kudos

thank you this was the first and only post that actually answered the question
New User
bobeinor
0 Kudos

Please specify which post you think "answered the question". The post above yours is blank. Thx
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

bobeinor wrote:
Please specify which post you think "answered the question". The post above yours is blank. Thx

Maybe that was the one.  Sort of a Zen solution.

New User
bobeinor
0 Kudos

Ooohhhhmmmmm....