Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
jlg881
0 Kudos

Re: How old is your Nook?

Received mine on Aug 2nd, 2010 as an anniversary gift from my husband and is used virtually every day.  DH got his in Sept 2010 for his birthday and my Mom got hers also in Sept 2010 as an anniversary gift and my dad in Oct 2010 as a belated anniversary gift. 

All four are going strong.  Mine, Mom's & Dad's are used virtually every day.  DH not so often.  Both DH & mine have flown a fair few number of times and been on two cruises just this year.

It is one of the best things my DH has ever gotten me.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

I bought mine on February 16, 2010.  The page turn button crcked at the end of May 2010.  I got a replacement on June 8, 2010 (when I got around to it).  I never had another issue.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fleetfoot

Early February 2010...Feline Death Glare is its name and it's still holding strong.  My Nookcolor, I've had about three weeks...

'Posted: Do not feed the Trolls, not even reindeer flattened fruitcake...Feeding of Trolls will result in gnome revolts, gremlin induced chaos, and other strangeness...' - Darkkin, the Tedious
Contributor
Caithleen
0 Kudos

I got mine in mid-February 2010. The right page-turn button cracked just after it was out of warranty, but I don't find that it interferes with my use of the Nook; I just swipe or use the left-hand button. Other than that, the Nook is in perfect condition and has never even so much as frozen. It makes me happy every single day.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

My Nook Classic (wifi only)is one of the newer ones...I recieved my Nook (I call her Saraswati)as a late Christmas present in early January, 2011.  Sara has given me absolutely no problems (I hope I'm not jinxing her)...we are the best of friends:smileytongue:

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Correspondent
rfruth
0 Kudos

Another Feb 2010 here, both forward page buttons are cracked but otherwise going strong (used daily) 

N1E - HD+ soon ?
Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I received mine Dec 8th or Dec. 9, 2009.  I orderd my first e-book the 9th but I think I got it the 8th and charged it.  The only problem I have had, It froze up once and I had to take the battery out and put it back in.  I dropped it once in a parking lot about a year ago, just a small chip.  I love it. 

I have over 300 books on it, mostly free.  I have new authors I enjoy and I am catching up on reading their older books along with their new ones.  I don't read some of my old favorite authors now because their e-books are too high or they can not be purchased by the libraries.  My favorite thing about the nook is library books!  I also love being able to read in the sunlight.

In 2009, I was wanting an e-book and I was looking at the Kindle.  I kept putting off purchasing the Kindle because I could not do library books.  I hardly ever bought a book, always went to the library.  I finally gave in and was going to buy the Kindle when I stumbled on the announcement for the new Nook!  I went straight to B&N after work and ordered it!  I have not been sorry since.

I would and DO recommend it to everyone!

Frequent Contributor
suzatm07
0 Kudos

I bought mine in late June of 2010.  I haven't had any serious problems with it though lately the touch screen has been tempermental.  My nook is used every single day. In the morning at breakfast, during the day at work as much as I can sneak time in and definitely at night for about 1/2 hour before I go to sleep.  I love the Nook (classic) and hope it keeps going strong because it goes everywhere with me and I would be lost without it.

Contributor
Kristina1306
0 Kudos

I ordered my husbands Nook in November of 2009 and received it on December 23rd 2009. Just right for Christmas. My hubby still has his origianl Nook, it never cracked, and it works fine. However, he is not using it as heavily as other owners. 

My hubby bought my Nook in Feb 2010, but we already replaced that one with a refurbished one. Funny, my refurbished Nook is older based on the serial number than my hubby's Nook.

I wish he would have waited. I really want the Nook Color, but since I own the 1st Generation Nook I will have to wait another 10 years..........

Inspired Correspondent
OPDwife
0 Kudos

I ordered in Oct 2009 and got it Dec 23, 2009.  Never been replaced, never had any problems.  

When I get a little money I buy books, if any is left, I buy food and clothes
Frequent Contributor
Anastacia01
0 Kudos

Got mine in June of 2010 not had a problem with the NOOK. I did buy a Square Trade warranty just incase in my opinion that warranty is better that BN and when I bought mine the BN warranty had to be bought at the same time as the Nook now I think you have so many days to buy one

Correspondent
dave47
0 Kudos

Got my Nook in January of 2011.  MLK day I believe.  No problems.  Love it.

When you get to a fork in the road --- take it.
Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

Ordered mine December 09, received it Feb 2010. No cracks, no freezing, no dead battery, never had a single problem with it. :smileyhappy: I got a spare battery for it so I can keep it going longer when the time comes though. Got it as a present from grandma so not going to get the new 2nd Ed Nook until mine breaks or something catastrophic happens to it. *clings to mine*

New User
Swedishdolphin
0 Kudos

I pre-purchased the original Nook when it first came out and it is still working perfectly.  My husband is now using it and loving it since I bought a NookColor when it came out (love it) and it is working perfectly also.  Absolutely great products.  I was a flight attendant for 14 years flying international and I wish I had this back then.  As far as how old is my Nook, I received it the first day they were released, so it is as old as it can be.   

Frequent Contributor
sublimestars
0 Kudos

I got my Nook as a birthday gift to myself in August 2010. I named it Veda (means eternal knowledge). :smileyhappy: Still works perfectly, haven't had a problem with it yet!

Contributor
cms1171CS
0 Kudos

I got mine November 20, 2010. I love it and have had no problems whatsoever.Although I think the N2E looks extremely cute, I am not planning on replacing my N1E unless/until it dies. I've got the Square Trade warranty that covers it for another year and a half.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

My N1E arrived at the end of January 2010 & is still going strong.

The only reason I would consider buying a N2E would be so I can give my N1E. I've been considering getting her one, especially with the B&N price drop on eBay, but she's not very careful with electronics. They tend to break/get lost/dropped into creeks/etc.

With a hand-me-down, I won't be annoyed if anything untoward happens. (And, yeah, I know there's a warranty and protection plans available, but that wouldn't make it any less aggravating.)

Still, I need to save a few more pennies. And work out the logistics of giving my 16-year-old her own B&N account. (See if my bank has the pre-loaded Visa card, get gift cards, etc.)

But soon, maybe.