Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
avaemma1
0 Kudos

How tether nook color to wifi phone-not to a computer

I have a Nook Color and a Nokia 5800 Express s60 phone that has wifi.  I installed jokiuspot app on my phone hoping it would tether my phone to my nook.  The app works  fine and does allow other things (my netbook, my laptop, etc) to tether to my phone...but it WON'T work with the nook color.  I am beyond frustration.  Can anyone tell me how to do this...either through jokiuspot or and other software/method.  I am NOT trying to tether with my computer at home.  My phone is already wi-fi capable so I don't need to involve my computer at all.

I have tried to set up wi-fi tether connection on the nook color and it shows up...but does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.  It never even tries to connect (and I have the jokiuspot app running.

I am VERY VERY frustrated as I have a regular 3g wifi nook and love it...My husband gave me the nook color as a surprise.  I love it but HATE that you it is not 3G. 

PLEASE PLEASE I need help.  Can anyone out there tell me how to do this?  THANKS!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: How tether nook color to wifi phone-not to a computer

The Nook Color has built-in wi-fi and doesn't need to be hooked up to anything else to function.

However, this is the Nook Class e-ink reader forum. You may get better feedback from the folks at the Nook Color Technical Support forum:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

or from the Nook Color General Discussion forum:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You can't get there from here. NOOK, NOOKcolor, Kindle, and probably all of the other Wi-Fi e-readers require an "infrastructure" access point. JokiuSpot provides an "ad-hoc network" which e-readers can't use.

Reader
walksoft
0 Kudos

Many smart phones have a mobile hot spot app that when turned on shows up on WiFi capable devices.  I have a Palm and it has it and I know Android and IPhone have it too.  Better than tethering with a usb cable.

J

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

The Nook Color has built-in wi-fi and doesn't need to be hooked up to anything else to function.

Except, of course, a WiFi source.  :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee hit the nail on the head; your NOOKcolor requires an Infrastructure Mode connection. Some phone/software combinations will provide that (my Droid X works with the NC) while others won't. Sorry, but I'm not that familiar with Symbian phones to offer much more.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

You can't get there from here. NOOK, NOOKcolor, Kindle, and probably all of the other Wi-Fi e-readers require an "infrastructure" access point. JokiuSpot provides an "ad-hoc network" which e-readers can't use.

Doug- I'm not very technically oriented, so correct me if I'm wrong. I take your response to mean that NOOK, etc. won't work with any of the various apps that turn a phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Does this also hold true for the various mobile hotspot devices out there—the MiFi and its siblings—or is that a different kind of tech that would work with the NOOK?

Just wondering, as I've been considering one given the sparse nature of open hotspots in my area. Even the Wi-Fi at my work is limited to company-issued (work-related) hardware. If I ever decide to get a NOOKcolor as well, or for some reason have to replace my 3G/Wi-Fi model for Wi-Fi only, it would be a nice option to have.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RHWright wrote:

I take your response to mean that NOOK, etc. won't work with any of the various apps that turn a phone into a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Does this also hold true for the various mobile hotspot devices out there—the MiFi and its siblings—or is that a different kind of tech that would work with the NOOK?

I have no idea what the other apps and devices do. The key thing is that they must provide an "infrastructure" access point. An "ad hoc network" won't work. Those are two very different kinds of Wi-Fi configuration. In an infrastructure arrangement, there is an access point and all devices talk only with that access point; there is a presumption that the access point includes a bridge to Internet. With ad hoc, all of the devices chatter with each other, and there's no presumption of any Internet connection.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Gtriever wrote:

Desert_Brat wrote:

Except, of course, a WiFi source.  :smileyhappy:

LOL, okay, I'll concede to that. You wouldn't believe how many new users come here and think they can only access the internet by hooking the nook up to their computer via USB. :smileysurprised:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Reader 4
avaemma1
0 Kudos

I am not trying to connect to a wi-fi hot spot.  I am trying to get access to 3g on my nook color by trying to tether my Nokia phone to it.  I have a Nook 3g wifi and loved it.  I just didn't realize how much I used the 3g feature until I got my Nook color.  Now I am trying to get access to a 3g network, so the nook color will have the same access as the Nook 3g.  THANKS!

Gtriever
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

avaemma1 wrote:

I am not trying to connect to a wi-fi hot spot.  I am trying to get access to 3g on my nook color by trying to tether my Nokia phone to it.  I have a Nook 3g wifi and loved it.  I just didn't realize how much I used the 3g feature until I got my Nook color.  Now I am trying to get access to a 3g network, so the nook color will have the same access as the Nook 3g.  THANKS!

Yes, and what we are trying to tell you is that you have to tether the NOOKcolor to the phone by WiFi in order to use the phone's 3G capabilities. And, the WiFi tether mode MUST be Infrastructure, and not ad-hoc. If you can find a tethering application for your phone that operates in Infrastructure mode, you're good to go.

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob

Gtriever wrote:

avaemma1 wrote:

Yes, and what we are trying to tell you is that you have to tether the NOOKcolor to the phone by WiFi in order to use the phone's 3G capabilities. And, the WiFi tether mode MUST be Infrastructure, and not ad-hoc. If you can find a tethering application for your phone that operates in Infrastructure mode, you're good to go.

The problem is that the NC (and nook and Kindle, etc) can't be "tethered", which is what many of the apps that bypass a cellular carrier provided wifi hotspot allow (generally, in violation of the phone agreement you have, but we'll skip that issue).  Tethering does work on devices like PC's, but generally requires corresponding special software at that end (and yes, I've run such software on PC's, from serial to USB to wireless tethering, from back when it was pay by the minute for such access to now). 

A hotspot, however, requires no additional software at the device end, as it is just another access point that provides wifi access, generally to more than one device. The MiFi is a hotspot device (as are several others) and my phone (sprint android) has a hotspot built in (which I have turned on via the phone company). I never investigated whether I could get a tethering app to work on this particular phone, but suspect it would have the same limitations as all the others would (the phone company generally locks out the feature needed to provide a hotspot unless you are paying for that particular access).

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Gtriever
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

--deleted--