Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
deb53WA
0 Kudos

How to fix the cracks in the bezel

DUCT TAPE!!   Yep, that's right.  My THIRD Nook now has cracks on both sides (one side is completely cracked through) of the bezel and when I called customer service, I was told I'd have to buy a new Nook, that the 'issue of the cracking bezels have been fixed."  Found some duct tape and have duct taped the sides of my Nook.  Not to look too tacky, used white duct tape instead of the gray.  Can't wait to go to BN and 'show off' my Nook!

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Re: How to fix the cracks in the bezel

Well Im happy that you solved your problem. Now you can read without worring about the bezel.

How the heck did you crack three Nook bezels? Most people cracked theirs just before their 1 year warranty and got a newer one that had the issue fixed. I would think by your 3rd one it would not have the issue. What the heck are you doing to the thing??LOL

Frequent Contributor
deb53WA
0 Kudos

You know, I don't have a clue how I keep cracking the bezels!  I'm trying to use the 'swipe' more than the sides (bezels) since I'm so aware of the issue with the bezels cracking. 

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

deb53WA, this cracking bezel problem is no fault of your own.  I'm sorry it happened and I only wish that Barnes and Noble would have replaced your Nook.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

deb53WA, this cracking bezel problem is no fault of your own.  I'm sorry it happened and I only wish that Barnes and Noble would have replaced your Nook.

It sounds like they did, twice.  I assuming it is now out of warranty.  I think the point of the other poster was, many of us have our original Nooks or have had it replaced once in a year for the cracking bezel, so it's either bad luck or something the user is doing to crack the bezel 3 times, if that is what she is say.  

If the Nook is still in warranty, then they should replace it, but the cracks don't really affect functionality.  Get a skin for it and you'll never know they are there.

Frequent Contributor
kristi_c
0 Kudos

ive had cracks on the page forward bezels for months but it doesn't bother me...my finger is over the one to turn the page and my eyes are on the screen :smileyhappy: i rarely notice the cracks anymore and love my nook way too much to return it for a refurb...what happens if i get one that messes with my reading? :smileyhappy:

New User
Pepperjack
0 Kudos

I had mine replaced once for a cracked bezel. Now my second one is cracking but I am out of warranty.

Really, if it is a know issue, then they should replace it with a fixed one. All you have to do is use the page turn buttons and the bezel eventually cracks.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

I wonder if expanda-foam would fix it?

Just kidding! :smileyvery-happy:  Don't try it.

I'm a Red Green fan.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
WhyDoUPickOnMe
0 Kudos

I'm going to have to try that.  My first Nook cracked, but it was under warranty, so I got a replacement Nook. 

Now my second one has cracked and it's out of warranty, and although I do try to swipe more now, I still use the page forward button a lot.  I'm afraid if I keep pushing the button as it is that it may crack to the point where it won't turn the page.

I love my Nook, but I read A LOT!  Almost a book every day, it just seems that the Nook can't handle so much use.

However, if it does break and I need to buy another e-reader, I'll be back to buy another Nook.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

WhyDoUPickOnMe wrote:

I'm going to have to try that.  My first Nook cracked, but it was under warranty, so I got a replacement Nook. 

Now my second one has cracked and it's out of warranty, and although I do try to swipe more now, I still use the page forward button a lot.  I'm afraid if I keep pushing the button as it is that it may crack to the point where it won't turn the page.

I love my Nook, but I read A LOT!  Almost a book every day, it just seems that the Nook can't handle so much use.

However, if it does break and I need to buy another e-reader, I'll be back to buy another Nook.

A book every day??? You must read all day long. Yeah if the thing is being used 10-12 hours a day every day its going to wear quicker. I dont think any small tech item like the NOOK is meant to last more than a few years with moderate use. You are using it probably 3-5 times more than most people. So it will wear 3-5 times quicker.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

WhyDoUPickOnMe wrote:

You are DEFINITELY a candidate for the swipe method. :smileyvery-happy:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Contributor
WhyDoUPickOnMe
0 Kudos

I read when I'm running on my treadmill.  Swiping doesn't work that well while running, but I do attempt to use it.

I actually work very long hours 4 days a week, but I do take full advantage of breaks.  I'm a speed reader, I taught myself how to read quick so I can enjoy more books.  What can I say?  I LOVE books!

New User
BearYM
0 Kudos

It seems that B&N is trying its best to NOT honor the warranty agreement. I bought a Nook Color in July 2011. The bezel next to the power button cracked ...not through any misuse. It simply bunched up and cracked. Today we called B&N and was told we could get a refurbished one because the "one month period for returning the nook had passed and we did not buy an extended warranty. I paid 279.00 dollars for this and feel we DESERVE a new one. Based on the posts it appears that this is an issue that is affecting nooks across the board and for 279.00 B&N should replace this.

IF ANY SELF RESPECTING B&N MANAGER IS READING THIS...HAVE A HEART... REPLACE IT... MY DAUGHTER SURE WOULD LOVE YOU EVEN MORE!!!

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BearYM wrote:

It seems that B&N is trying its best to NOT honor the warranty agreement. I bought a Nook Color in July 2011. The bezel next to the power button cracked ...not through any misuse. It simply bunched up and cracked. Today we called B&N and was told we could get a refurbished one because the "one month period for returning the nook had passed and we did not buy an extended warranty. I paid 279.00 dollars for this and feel we DESERVE a new one. Based on the posts it appears that this is an issue that is affecting nooks across the board and for 279.00 B&N should replace this.

IF ANY SELF RESPECTING B&N MANAGER IS READING THIS...HAVE A HEART... REPLACE IT... MY DAUGHTER SURE WOULD LOVE YOU EVEN MORE!!!

That is what the warranty allows. You have a used Nook and it is being replaced with a factory refurbished one which is as good as new. 

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

The bezel crack issue discussed in this thread was particular to the N1E not the Nook Color. And even when B&N replaced the N1E for this issue it was usually with a refurbished unit.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

If your nook is out of warranty, but you purchased it with a credit card there is another option.  I purchased three nooks (the original of course) for myself and my daughters.  My daughters both had the cracked bezel.  I checked with my credit card and it did involve a lot of paper work, but the bottom line is that you can purchase a NEW nook (doesn't have to be the same nook you have the problem on) and you will be reimbursed via check once you turn in the damaged nook and a receipt for the replacement nook.  You will be reimbursed up to the amount you paid for the original nook.  My daughter was able to replace her original nook for the nook tablet.  Both my daughters were able to take advantage of the credit card option and now have NEW nooks.  Mine is always in a decal girl skin and I have never had that problem and the credit card warranty is now up for me.  But I am happy as I still love my original nook.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

TXAnnie wrote:

If your nook is out of warranty, but you purchased it with a credit card there is another option.  I purchased three nooks (the original of course) for myself and my daughters.  My daughters both had the cracked bezel.  I checked with my credit card and it did involve a lot of paper work, but the bottom line is that you can purchase a NEW nook (doesn't have to be the same nook you have the problem on) and you will be reimbursed via check once you turn in the damaged nook and a receipt for the replacement nook.  You will be reimbursed up to the amount you paid for the original nook.  My daughter was able to replace her original nook for the nook tablet.  Both my daughters were able to take advantage of the credit card option and now have NEW nooks.  Mine is always in a decal girl skin and I have never had that problem and the credit card warranty is now up for me.  But I am happy as I still love my original nook.

I meant to also include that if your nook is out of warranty and if you paid with a credit card, it will automatically add one year to the warranty.