Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

How will BN Respond.......

Just curious what you guys think BN will do in light of Amazon's new releases, including a $79 basic Kindle, and a $99 Touch Kindle.   Seems like a pretty big challange from Amazon.  It will be interesting to see how the competition heats up.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: How will BN Respond.......

They already have responsed with the price drop of 1st edition nooks which is still a great device and now it's a steal at it's new low price.  As for the fire which is the only kindle that even matters in those three to me since its kindle's attempt at a tablet I don't think it will do that well out of the gate.  Nook Color had a world of issues at first took some update fixes to get it where it is now I expect kindle fire owners will experience the same problem and will regret getting the first ones that came.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

BN is responding by geting their more expensive NC into more retail stores so more people can see that it is more expensive.  They should have timed a price drop with their announcement that Target would be selling it.

As an aside, I saw another analysis of the Fire's cost showing that rather than losing money Amazon could actually make money.  The analysis had the parts cost at only $150 (the biggest diference from the other company's analysis being the cost of the screen @$60).  Adding in labor, warehouse cost, etc. Amazon could acutally have room to run some discounts on it for Christmas if it isn't selling.

I guess we will see about the cost when they start shipping it.

As far as the N1E at $89, I wouldn't bother with it.  At this point, if you don't already own an ereader, $79 for a new Kindle (albeit ad supported) still makes more sense than paying $89 for a device that will never support any new functionality (now a N1E refurb at a substantial discount to say$50 or $60 that would be interesting)

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,998

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

As an aside, I saw another analysis of the Fire's cost showing that rather than losing money Amazon could actually make money.

To a considerable extent, this is irrelevant. While it's fairly certain that Amazon would like to turn a profit on the devices, that's not a big requirement. First there's the venerable "give away the razor and sell the blades" strategy, in which Amazon makes the money back on the first few e-books that it sells.

But there's a much, much bigger game in play. Kindle Fire gives Amazon an unprecedented tool for monitoring what its customers are doing. They can see what sites you go to, what products you look for, what the pricing you're being offered is, whether you buy right away or go look somewhere else, and whether you buy at all and if so, where did you buy. They can see the searches you make, and which responses you pay attention to. They can see the ads that are presented on any web site you visit, and they can see which ones you click. They can change out the ads if they want.

For the Kindle Fire user, the Web looks like whatever Amazon wants it to look like. And Amazon makes sure that all the while, Kindle owners sing the praises of the wonderful service they're getting.

On a secondary scale, Kindle Fire puts a stake through the heart of the Android tablet marketplace, which in turn deals a significant blow against Google. Maybe Google shouldn't have started selling e-books.

Kindle Fire is an ingenious and daring move by Amazon, and one that's almost sure to pay off for them.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Amazon's marketing is phenomenal!  If I wasn't already an Android owner (and I was uninformed) I would be extremely interested in the "Fire".  That said, from my perspective this device seems to be more of an e-reader on steroids than an actual tablet (in my opinion).

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

If Nook is the "Reader's Table", then Fire may end up the "Media Lover's Tablet".  I wouldn't characterize it as an ereader on steroids mostly because it appears the reader portion is just the Kindle Android app (unless I am missing something there).  They seem to be going out of their way to emphasize the streaming aspects.  I saw one "tear down" that indicated it doesn't even have an accelerometer (others have indicated it does) which would limit its gaiing ability.

But given the way Amazon advertises, it will likely become the default #2 "tablet"

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

It's got 8GB of storage, no expansion capability and everything about it other than the core OS is so modified it may as well not even be Android.  The built in browser goes thru Amazon's servers for everything.  To me, this just isn't a tablet.  It's either a Kindle on steroids or an Amazon sales tool.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

As far as the N1E at $89, I wouldn't bother with it.  At this point, if you don't already own an ereader, $79 for a new Kindle (albeit ad supported) still makes more sense than paying $89 for a device that will never support any new functionality (now a N1E refurb at a substantial discount to say$50 or $60 that would be interesting)

Another important factor is that the Kindle 4 is much thinner and lighter in weight than the Nook 1E, and customers prefer thin and lightweight.

B&N needs to focus on their newer, more appealing e-readers - the Nook Touch and the Nook Color.  If B&N can't match Amazon's aggressive pricing it can throw in deals relating to its bookstores, such as a free coffee each week for 6 months or a $25 in credit towards the purchase of e-books.

keriflur
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Another important factor is that the Kindle 4 is much thinner and lighter in weight than the Nook 1E, and customers prefer thin and lightweight.

B&N needs to focus on their newer, more appealing e-readers - the Nook Touch and the Nook Color.  If B&N can't match Amazon's aggressive pricing it can throw in deals relating to its bookstores, such as a free coffee each week for 6 months or a $25 in credit towards the purchase of e-books.

I'll be interested to see the first hands-on reviews for this $79/$99 kindle.  I can imagine the difficulty of searching in the shop and the library without either a keyboard or a touchscreen.  You're basically selecting each letter with a pointer.  IMO that will get old quick.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

I'll be interested to see the first hands-on reviews for this $79/$99 kindle.  I can imagine the difficulty of searching in the shop and the library without either a keyboard or a touchscreen.  You're basically selecting each letter with a pointer.  IMO that will get old quick.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/03/amazon-kindle-review-2011/

keriflur
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

keriflur wrote:

AndyfromVA wrote:

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/03/amazon-kindle-review-2011/

Thanks for the link.  This supports my theory (though I'll be looking for reviews from users who spend some time with the device).

On a side note, I really wish Engadget would remember that the newest nook is the Simple Touch, not "Nook Wifi", which was a nickname for the N1E wifi-only device. :smileymad:

Correspondent
TravP

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

I disagree that a new $89 N1E isn't worth it. It's a different interface, and if you like the interface of the bottom color touchscreen, and want a solid product, the N1E woud be a great purchase. I don't like that BN has dropped all possibility of updatng the firmware, but I'm perfectly happy with the latest upgrade. The only thing that would pull me away from an N1E is if I could get a Simpe Touch Reader for under (or closer to) $100, or if the current Nook Color dropped in price. If we're comparing the $79 Kindle with no touch screen & no keyboard with the $89 N1E, I'd go with the N1E. It was never made to be sold under $100, so its value is greater than the bottom Kindle. I'm also not a fan of the STR yet. I think it's ugly, and they should have designed it closer to the N1E with a white bezel and hard, defined side buttons. But I can't really test it out because everytime I pick it up in a store, it's stuck on a slide show that cycles through totell me about it but never leting me play with it.

There have been rumors going around the web of an announcement from BN coming this month, and it's expected to be some sort of step up from Color, either a second better iteration, or an actual tablet, like the Fire. I got excited by the Fire, then I remembered that Amazon is all about their content (more so than BN) and it's startng to feel a litle like Apple. The Fire is exciting, but it's not really being sold as a reading device like the Color. It's basically a big iPod Touch that lets you stream media, surf the web, and play with apps. And maybe read a book. The Color has low glare glass made to make reading itself easier, while the fire is made to consume multimedia by itsef.

I won't be surprised if BN goes more in the direction of Fire. If we're lucky, we may get a completely redesigned touch eink reader too, and that would interest me more than a tablet. I already stream my video and music through my Roku box. I don't really need to have Hulu in my pocket (wouldn't it be cool if BN came out with a Hulu & Nwetflix tablet though?)  :smileyhappy: I personally don't need all the bells and whistles, but it's fun to spculate what BN has up their sleeves.