Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I love my Nook

I always liked to read but, I was never a high volume reader until now.  Since X-Mas which is when I got my Nook 3G I have read 6 books.  I love enlarged text, I love that tells me page of pages which drives me to complete a book faster because I get a feeling of accomplish when I get 300 of 300 for example. 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Correspondent
KindleMichelle

Re: I love my Nook

I'm telling you that the more time I spend here, the more I see that book reader type folks are pretty much the same -- and the complaints they see are largely the same too. To here some folks complain -- and I know the OP was doing the opposite of that -- CS for both is useless, the devices are all defective, and you'd have to be a "maroon" or an employee of the company to have a good work to say about one.

There's nothing better than someone complaining about it not having something it was never advertised to have. There has to be hundreds upon hundreds of reviews over at Amazon from buyers who are completely surprised that it's not backlit. They feel Amazon should have told them and not kept it a secret -- even though the product page repeately talks about it and even brags on it. Then there were the people angry about not receiving it in time for Christmas, even when the page told them in bold letters that it was temporarily sold out. And of course now the library thing.

The funniest part though? How often these people have named like AvidReader and BookWorm and talk about their  love of reading, but apparently don't extend that interest toward 5 minutes of research. 

You guys will appreciate that there was a review in which someone lost his mind because he couldn't loan books and was about to turn his 4 family Kindles in for Nooks. 3 or 4 people pointed out to him that you can lend and the conditions are the same with both devices and he said that wasn't true. He deleted the review, guess he finally believed.

Anyhow, these folks always threaten to go with the competition, but never seem to consider if they'd be happy or happier with the other one. It's like they want to punish Amazon or B&N and forget that they're the ones who have to live with the thing. I mean: I loved everything about the Kindle and read tons, and it was so light weight and awesome -- but it rebooted once. Time  to get a Nook. :smileyhappy:

People lose perspective, thinking that their defective advice is the norm, their priorities universal. That makes sense that their experience is the one they care about -- up until they willfully pretend that if there's is a brick that they're all bricks.

“Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.”
~Oscar Wilde
New User
MDM7
0 Kudos

Re: I Hate the Nook!

WARNING - The NOOK has a known defect that causes the Fascia to break under the page forward button. According to my local B&N , after the warranty period there is no way to have this repaired. It is disposable!

Google nook broken button.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

MDM7 wrote:

WARNING - The NOOK has a known defect that causes the Fascia to break under the page forward button. According to my local B&N , after the warranty period there is no way to have this repaired. It is disposable!

this was on the VERY early nook devices.  has LONG LONG LONG (did I mention LONG) since been remodified.  If you do have it break before the warrenty period just get a new nook.  if you don't then you are fine.

did your break?  PS if it does it does NOT impact the performance of the nook 

Distinguished Correspondent
Arestelle

Wow, double resurrection...this thread one-upped Lazarus! :smileytongue:

"One day a tortoise will learn how to fly."--Pratchett, Small Gods

Reading: The Demon-Haunted World
Last book read: Leon Martin and the Fantasy Girl (as a test reader--not yet published)
Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I must say that there is nothing, again NOTHING, I hate about my Nook.  It works perfectly well.  On June 10th, I will pick up my Nook 2E.  The family is getting bigger.  :smileytongue:

Lector GS
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

MDM7 wrote:

If it still works and the crack is simply cosmetic, you can get a skin or use a piece of duct tape to cover it.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos
Wordsmith
Sarah3973

Nallia wrote:
Holy zombie thread!

SURELY all these zombie threads we're seeing MUST be marketing ploys to get everyone to read 

Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #2)  
since it's coming out next week...  Yeah, that's got to be it...:smileywink:

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

Sarah3973 wrote:

Nallia wrote:
Holy zombie thread!

SURELY all these zombie threads we're seeing MUST be marketing ploys to get everyone to read 

Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy Series #2)  
since it's coming out next week...  Yeah, that's got to be it...:smileywink:

It must be!

I guess I should be glad because it means people are using the search.  :smileywink:

New User
sweetgran22
0 Kudos

I loved my Nook when I bought it but after six months the Nook would not keep the books I bought downloaded. I would have to constantly go to a Wifi place to download them again. I have had my Nook now for 1 and a half years and it no longer works. Support has not been able to help. I feel like I have been conned. I spent over 100.00 to buy the Nook and I bought lots of Ebooks which I have no access to escept on my computer. The whole point of having the Nook was so I could read them anywhere. Who wants to sit reading at the computer all day! It sucks. It is not like I have the money to buy a new one. And there is virtualy no trade in value.