Frequent Contributor
xtina823
0 Kudos

Re: I Love My Nook

[ Edited ]

I know that J.K. Rowling doesn't want the HP series available on ebook. However, it would be nice if they were available.

Owner of a Nook, March 22, 2010
Name: Gizmo
Contributor
Tigger31
0 Kudos

Okay I got my Nook today and so far I am in love!! I have downloaded a book from B&N and registered with no issues. It recognized my home network with no issues and accepted it without me having to input anything. My nook is charging right now. I am waiting on my skin and I am happy with the purchase so far...

Be an angel, support the military.... Ask me how!!
www.soldiersangels.org
Contributor
JRenshaw
0 Kudos

Tigger31 wrote:

It recognized my home network with no issues and accepted it without me having to input anything.

Not to rain on your parade, but this suggests to me that you need to set up security options for your home wireless network.

While "war-driving" may no longer be the hobby it once was, you are still liable (in many places) for the nastiness that a wireless thief causes while connected to your network.

If you don't have neighbors within ~200 yards, disregard this warning :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Tigger31
0 Kudos

I checked my security settings as you suggested, they say that I have a secure network. When we brought in the Wii, it was accepted into the network with no issues as well. The AT&T guy that set it up said that it should accept new wireless things with no problems. When my b/f's sis comes over with her lap top she connects to our wireless with no problem. Alas if I could only set the correct time. I have tried going to settings- display- but there is no scroll thing. I might have to go to a B&N store.

Be an angel, support the military.... Ask me how!!
www.soldiersangels.org
Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Tigger31 - if you don't even have to enter a password to add new devices to your wireless network, it is not secure, regardless of what anyone has told you.  You should fix that ASAP.  

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

very-simple wrote:

Tigger31 - if you don't even have to enter a password to add new devices to your wireless network, it is not secure, regardless of what anyone has told you.  You should fix that ASAP.  

This.  A secure network will require all devices to input a security key the first time they connect.  I had to do it with my laptop, my husband's laptop, any friends' laptops when they come over with them for the first time (and if they remove my connection from their settings), my Wii, and my nook.

Contributor
JRenshaw
0 Kudos

Tigger31 wrote:

The AT&T guy that set it up said that it should accept new wireless things with no problems.

This is the property of your network which is making us call it insecure.  Even if (and I simply don't know about this part) your communication isn't susceptible to eavesdropping, anyone can use your wireless network for 'net access, with or without your permission, just by being in range of the signal.

This is great when your bf's sis comes over and doesn't have to do anything special to connect, but it also means that anyone at all can do it!

Contributor
PG_Watson
0 Kudos

I love my Nook too !  I love that it still feels like a book, - I go a great cover, it has no annoying keyboard and writing on the front that distracts you from your texts, the books are cheaper, especially since I always bought hardback, yeah for Nook.  Now if they would just publish the James Herriot books I'd be in heaven......

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Same here!

I'm a diver, and with scuba gear, space and weight are always at a premium on a trip.  So, what books to take has always been a major issue.  Too many, and I'm wasting packing space I could use for gear; too few, and I can end up on a plane or in an airport with nothing to read, and nothing to buy but some bodice-ripper from last year or the year before.  Who needs that?

Well, no more:  with over 50 books (and counting) on my Nook, I'll never be without something to read, and all in a neat, compact package.  I AM spending a lot on books, though. :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
joseph-d
0 Kudos

Now that I've had my nook for a month I'm starting to build a small library of public domain books as well as B&N purchases. Samples are great as long as they include at least a chapter or two.
I've event started swapping between books on the fly. sure is nice not having to carry around several books for casual reading.