Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,356
Registered: ‎12-25-2010

I give up

I always tried helping others on the board but, lately the questions are so over my head that I have no help to provide.  It's frusrating, and it makes me question my worth to the board sometimes,  I never believed in quiting but for my sanity Ior insanity as we proven there's no sane people here LOL, but I quiting when it comes to reading problem posts, it saddens me when I'm no use to the board and its the only way I'll keep my mind from going into this worthless feeling I have right now.  It pains me to say it but it needs to be said to get my head back where it needs to be.  I give up.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Bibliophile
Jenniisme
Posts: 993
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: I give up

Ummm...you put way too much pressure on yourself.

 

There are others here that can help, so why do you feel it is your responsibility? You're a forum user, not a tech support member.

 

Enjoy the forums, glean what you can from them, help when you can. The world will not end if YOU can't help someone each and every time.

 

Quitting isn't always the answer, if you don't know something in school do you quit?

 

You've posted something like this last time when your post came out nasty when it wasn't meant to be.

 

Without sounding nasty or snide, it's a forum not the real world.:smileyhappy:

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010

Re: I give up

 


shadowcat80 wrote:

I always tried helping others on the board but, lately the questions are so over my head that I have no help to provide.  It's frusrating, and it makes me question my worth to the board sometimes


 

There's no need to respond to every post:  even the most knowledgable people here don't respond if they can't make a positive contribution to a particular discussion.  Silence is seldom an unwise course, or an unwelcome one.

 

If you really want to help with more questions, there are positive things you can do:

 

1. Re-read the Manual.  Then re-read it again.  Knowledge of the Manual covers at least half the questions here.

 

2. Print out a copy of FrogAlum's instructions on using ADE and keep it by your computer as a ready reference.  Make a note of the URL and be ready to add it to your posts.  That answers a bunch more.

 

3. Search the topics "Freeze", "Screen Freeze", "Reboot", etc., and print out the most current and useful posts for reference.

 

4. Locate Doug_Pardee's thread on routers and connectivity, and do the same.

 

5. Accept the fact that, even with the best of intentions, sometimes you're going to get the answer wrong.  Forget it and concentrate on getting it right next time.  Self-flagelating posts help no one.

 

Expanding your knowledge in those ways will give you the ability to help out with at least 80% of the intelligent questions related to Nook operations that come up here.

 

Finally, realize that, contrary to that noxious old saw, there IS such a thing as a stupid question.  Learn to recognize them and ignore them:  you'll be happier, and it will help keep stupid questions from growing into stupid threads.  :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
Posts: 1,949
Registered: ‎02-15-2010

Re: I give up

 


shadowcat80 wrote:

I always tried helping others on the board but, lately the questions are so over my head that I have no help to provide.  It's frusrating, and it makes me question my worth to the board sometimes,  I never believed in quiting but for my sanity Ior insanity as we proven there's no sane people here LOL, but I quiting when it comes to reading problem posts, it saddens me when I'm no use to the board and its the only way I'll keep my mind from going into this worthless feeling I have right now.  It pains me to say it but it needs to be said to get my head back where it needs to be.  I give up.


 

Why on earth would you give up?  :smileysurprised:  If the questions are over your head, you can't answer them, someone else does, don't you learn something?

 

Now, if you don't enjoy the boards, that's a different story.  :smileysad:

 

My nook has worked as expected from day one, so I haven't had to cope with many of the issues and don't have the answers in my head, I don't care.  Someone may ask a question that I know has been answered, and even if I can't remember the answer, I can at least direct that person in some way so they can find it.

 

 

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎12-28-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I give up

For myself I don't come here to answer all the questions that people pose. Once in a blue moon someone will ask something that I do know the answer to and I will share. Otherwise I just stop by to see what is going on and join in on discussions that are of interest to me. I also don't come here expecting that there will always be an answer if I do have a problem. Typically there is someone here who can answer every question/issue that comes up but if not that is what tech support is for!

 

I also come here to find out what books I need to be reading. That is why my wish list is over 200 now! It is a great place to find free and bargain books too so it is a great place for me. Just enjoy what is helpful and don't sweat the rest!

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,356
Registered: ‎12-25-2010

Re: I give up


Josienjoe wrote:

 


shadowcat80 wrote:

I always tried helping others on the board but, lately the questions are so over my head that I have no help to provide.  It's frusrating, and it makes me question my worth to the board sometimes,  I never believed in quiting but for my sanity Ior insanity as we proven there's no sane people here LOL, but I quiting when it comes to reading problem posts, it saddens me when I'm no use to the board and its the only way I'll keep my mind from going into this worthless feeling I have right now.  It pains me to say it but it needs to be said to get my head back where it needs to be.  I give up.


 

Why on earth would you give up?  :smileysurprised:  If the questions are over your head, you can't answer them, someone else does, don't you learn something?

 

Now, if you don't enjoy the boards, that's a different story.  :smileysad:

 

 

I didn't say anything about not enjoying the board.  As someone else said I do put a lot of pressure on myself, I know but, I am wired to help people, and growing up not to brag but a lot of times I was the smartest kid in the room, and I never hestiated to help the others that needed help because its my nature, so it is frusrating to admit I'm not the smartest person in the world when I felt like I was for a long time.  Its a confidence issue. 

 

I love the board, and I'm not going anywhere.   I made a mistake few months ago even thinking of leaving, I made the right choice to stay.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
Posts: 474
Registered: ‎08-02-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I give up

As others have advised, pick your spots.

 

As a regular Nook user you've noticed some things that you like and dislike.  New users would appreciate the knowledge you've accumulated.

 

You don't have to be a Doug Pardee to have something valuable to contribute.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
Posts: 1,523
Registered: ‎01-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I give up

You don't always have to be helpful.  There's no way I'd try to help anyone with their router besides hunt down Doug's earlier post about it.  There are several versions of using library books, so there's no reason for me to rewrite it.  Now, I can certainly put in my opinion about covers, lights, etc but often I read the boards to see what wild wacky thing might be going on and to talk baseball.

 

If you notice my signature, I do have links to what I consider to be helpful.  I may be changing the library one to Frog's instructions.

 

There are many threads that I don't even bother to read and that's OK.

Contributor
Mondayn
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎02-16-2011
0 Kudos

Re: I give up

You're not alone! There are some of us out there that are just as dedicated to helping their fellow ebook readers. Especially in promoting the introduction and assistance for new users. I try to frequent the board as much as possible in both my off-time, and while at work as a Bookseller for the company. I feel that it's partly my responsibility to take the customer service aspect of my job seriously and reach out to the customer base outside just my store to ensure that I can provide the best experience to the most amount of people.

I often feel anguish for many of the legitimate posters who express a real problem with the customer service they receive from either the 1-800 line or an in-store experience; and I do my best to ensure that their questions get answered, or at the very least redirected to the appropriate venue.

So don't give up! Don't be discouraged by the overwhelming oppression that can sometimes be felt when you put yourself in a service position. Keep your chin up and know that what you're attempting to do is a valiant effort and does not go un-appreciated!

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: I give up

Help others when you can.  Learn from others when you don't know.

 

It's really simple.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
shilohMD
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎12-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I give up

 


AlanNJ wrote:

Help others when you can.  Learn from others when you don't know.

 

It's really simple.


 

Well said! 

 

Should be the "motto" for this Board (any Board, actually...)

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I give up

It's actually a good model for life in general.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
Debh366
Posts: 212
Registered: ‎10-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I give up

I agree with Alan.

 

I don't get why you get so stressed about answering questions.  I come on here to learn.  If I happen to know an answer, I answer it.  If not, I move on.  You are wasting your time stressing about stupid stuff.  No one appointed you to answer each and every question.  Just enjoy the boards.  Learn and help when you can.  :smileyhappy:

´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ -:¦:- Debbie
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Registered: ‎02-15-2010

Re: I give up

[ Edited ]

Being treated as something special for your intelligence through your entire pre-college years, while surrounded by a very limited group of people, and then being thrust into the adult world where you are simply one of many intelligent people can be a very sobering experience.  And, yes, it can have an adverse effect on your self confidence.  That effect should only be temporary, however.  Yes, it can be difficult to face.  Yes, it is an adjustment.  But the choice to stand tall, believe in yourself and your intelligence, while accepting your limitations, is up to you.  You can either let it make you into a better person or you can let it destroy you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
Posts: 313
Registered: ‎10-17-2010

Re: I give up


Nallia wrote:

Being treated as something special for your intelligence through your entire pre-college years, while surrounded by a very limited group of people, and then being thrust into the adult world where you are simply one of many intelligent people can be a very sobering experience.  And, yes, it can have an adverse effect on your self confidence.  That effect should only be temporary, however.  Yes, it can be difficult to face.  Yes, it is an adjustment.  But the choice to stand tall, believe in yourself and your intelligence, while accepting your limitations, is up to you.  You can either let it make you into a better person or you can let it destroy you.


Can I create a poster of this for my honors & AP students? :smileywink: Well said!

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Nallia
Posts: 4,758
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Registered: ‎02-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I give up

 


Colleen_Rose wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Being treated as something special for your intelligence through your entire pre-college years, while surrounded by a very limited group of people, and then being thrust into the adult world where you are simply one of many intelligent people can be a very sobering experience.  And, yes, it can have an adverse effect on your self confidence.  That effect should only be temporary, however.  Yes, it can be difficult to face.  Yes, it is an adjustment.  But the choice to stand tall, believe in yourself and your intelligence, while accepting your limitations, is up to you.  You can either let it make you into a better person or you can let it destroy you.


Can I create a poster of this for my honors & AP students? :smileywink: Well said!


Absolutely!  I was one of those students.  It may have been 20 years ago that I was 18, but I remember it well.  :smileywink:

 

Inspired Correspondent
Mupples
Posts: 84
Registered: ‎03-08-2010

Re: I give up

You've made a thread somewhat similar to this before. I don't understand where this need is to prove yourself, it's an internet message board. If you mellow out a little and stop inserting yourself into every single help thread, you might enjoy conversing with everyone more.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
Posts: 470
Registered: ‎02-24-2010

Re: I give up

As Mupples pointed out, we have seen this thread before.  If these posts become so very stressful for you, it might be better for you to just not come here.  You seem to feel that you have to help every person and something is wrong with you if you can't.  Nobody knows everything and that is the nature of these posts: to help when something goes wrong and help is needed.  That is why there are several people who help each other.  If this seems so stressful, just focus on college and your friends.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,356
Registered: ‎12-25-2010
0 Kudos

Re: I give up


TXAnnie wrote:

As Mupples pointed out, we have seen this thread before.  If these posts become so very stressful for you, it might be better for you to just not come here.  You seem to feel that you have to help every person and something is wrong with you if you can't.  Nobody knows everything and that is the nature of these posts: to help when something goes wrong and help is needed.  That is why there are several people who help each other.  If this seems so stressful, just focus on college and your friends.


My greatest strength is also my greatest weakness, I am someone that is moved by emotion and that emotion brings out great creativity writing in poems and stories, also makes me very passionate and open to give my opinion on everything those are good, but I also have times that the swing goes the other way, I have a fiery side which has on ocassion come out and I said things I really didn't mean but wasn't thinking at the time, also I get depressed at times and I was down when I typed the first post of this thread. 

 

However I don't think my raw emotion is reason to leave the board, so thank you but no, I'm not leaving Annie.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎12-28-2010

Re: I give up

[ Edited ]

shadowcat80 wrote:

My greatest strength is also my greatest weakness, I am someone that is moved by emotion and that emotion brings out great creativity writing in poems and stories, also makes me very passionate and open to give my opinion on everything those are good, but I also have times that the swing goes the other way, I have a fiery side which has on ocassion come out and I said things I really didn't mean but wasn't thinking at the time, also I get depressed at times and I was down when I typed the first post of this thread. 

 

However I don't think my raw emotion is reason to leave the board, so thank you but no, I'm not leaving Annie.


What you are describing may well be a mood disorder that could be managed with a combination of medication and therapy. Emotion is a wonderful thing until it becomes too "raw" and gets in the way of functioning in a more emotionally stable manner. Most colleges offer a counseling center on campus. Plus the first year or so away at college can be incredibly stressful creating mood swings with down moods. Left unaddressed it can turn into problems quite easily.

 

And yes I am actually a Licensed Clinical Social Worker so my background is mental health. And no I am not diagnosing someone I have never met just offering a suggestion. While we all have mood changes rapid mood swings from high to low may not be the "norm" and might benefit from talking with a therapist.