Frequent Contributor
TheAntiChick
0 Kudos

I <3 Calibre!

I am probably late to the game, but I just got Calibre up and running last night and I just have to rave.

I had planned to use it just to fix metadata on some previously purchased ebooks, and that worked FANTASTICALLY, but what I didn't anticipate was that it converts pdf's to a BEAUTIFUL pdb.  I have a couple of pdf's for test review that weren't working very well on the nook as pdf's but the pdb's are fantastic!!  I have the ability to output my class notes in pdf and will probably port them through Calibre so I can have my study materials all the time.

I am also using Instapaper to grab things from the internet that I want to read later, and feeding it through Calibre to manage them.

I got an SD card from the buy.com special someone posted here last week, so all my Calibre stuff is going to it.  Good thing since I now have the forward button crack and will have to call for my replacement.  :/

I am loving my nook now more than ever!!

Kudos to all the great people here who keep posting fabulous resources, and to the Calibre people.

Frequent Contributor
nooksst
0 Kudos

Re: I <3 Calibre!

Me 2. Try the news download.  It's 1derful.

Frequent Contributor
TheAntiChick
0 Kudos

nooksst wrote:

Me 2. Try the news download.  It's 1derful.

Thanks!  Haven't gotten there yet, but I saw the category and was wondering what it does.  (I also haven't read the manual yet, but it's on my nook and I'll get to it this weekend.)

Inspired Contributor
CritterKeeper
0 Kudos

I'm pretty sure it's me, but i just can't get into Calibre.

Maybe I'll try again. I seem to keep everything in pdf. So, you're saying that some of your pdf's that looked funky on your nook, were better after converting them to epub via calibre? The few I tried, pretty much looked the same after the convert... but I'm willing to give it another shot.

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

I'd be lost without Calibre. It's my main source of daily news on several feeds

Sigil is great too, to tidy up those poorly formatted free epub's or Calibre epub conversions

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Correspondent
timetravel
0 Kudos

I have been using Calibre just for format changes.  I can't belive I overlooked the news feature.  Thank you!

Frequent Contributor
TheAntiChick
0 Kudos

CritterKeeper wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's me, but i just can't get into Calibre.

Maybe I'll try again. I seem to keep everything in pdf. So, you're saying that some of your pdf's that looked funky on your nook, were better after converting them to epub via calibre? The few I tried, pretty much looked the same after the convert... but I'm willing to give it another shot.

Yes.  I have a couple of test prep booxs that I purchased online and they came in a non-DRM'd .pdf format.  They were very hard to read and if I tried to make the font bigger they either wouldn't work, or the line breaks then got wonky.  They translated through GREAT with Calibre.

I have pulled a few things through - some non-DRM'd old format stuff that had some oddities like the chapter heading is not on the new page with the beginning of the chapter, it's tagged on to the last sentence of the previous chapter - but I've not started messing with the Calibre settings when I run it through yet, and nothing I've seen so far is too horrible.

Frequent Contributor
100kgs
0 Kudos

I generally use spreadsheets to keep track of my hobbys but Calibre is so good, I'm not bothering with a sheet.

I've not fully explored the news/comics yet but that will change tonight.  I like how the author(s) are updating it pretty regularly.  I wonder what they have in mind for future big updates.

Viva le Calibre!

"Not that I have anything against senseless violence, manling, but why are you strangling that old man?" - Gotrek Gurnisson
Inspired Correspondent
PepaLou
0 Kudos

I really want to try Calibre, but I freaked out when I went to download it, and I got a popup from my virus protection that said "are you sure you want to download this?  This file may harm your computer".  So of course I said NO!

Hmmmmm, what to do?

Brasil #1
Proud owner of "COUNT NOOKULA"!
Stop adding more crap to my nook! If I wanted a do it all POS, I would have bought an Ipad!
Contributor
itsme2
0 Kudos

Just to be sure: Calibre is GOOD. I've used it over the years and just bought me a Nook that is supported very well. The news feature is great - also the content server' (might want to use softroot if the beta-browser does not come up with support for downloading from it).

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Can somebody offer a quick-and-dirty explanation of how the news feeds work on Calibre?  I too have downloaded the program, but haven't used it too much yet.

I understand that you pick the news feeds you want to read.  Beyond that, I don't understand - do you plug your Nook into the computer every morning and download the feeds, so you can read them later?  Because Calibre won't transfer anything through WIFI or 3G, right? 

I would love to know how to use Calibre in a more efficient way.  If there's an explanation somewhere on these Boards (like all of Doug's great work), can somebody point me in the right direction?

Frequent Contributor
100kgs
0 Kudos

PepaLou wrote:

I really want to try Calibre, but I freaked out when I went to download it, and I got a popup from my virus protection that said "are you sure you want to download this?  This file may harm your computer".  So of course I said NO!

Hmmmmm, what to do?

It probably had a fit because instead of .exe, the installer is .msi which is totally fine.

"Not that I have anything against senseless violence, manling, but why are you strangling that old man?" - Gotrek Gurnisson
Frequent Contributor
gram944
0 Kudos

Another soul here wishing I understood calibre better. I have just surmounted the small mountain of the learning curve of Nook. Have downloaded calibre and gone thru the tutorial but would love to see something like Doug and others have put together for other aspects of the Nook.

Contributor
Just_the_facts_Maam
0 Kudos

I am by no means a Calibre expert, having just recently downloaded it, but I found this link that helped me understand it:

http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual/

AllenR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DonnaReads wrote:

Can somebody offer a quick-and-dirty explanation of how the news feeds work on Calibre?  I too have downloaded the program, but haven't used it too much yet.

I understand that you pick the news feeds you want to read.  Beyond that, I don't understand

Start Calibre.
Click on the "Fetch News" icon at the top. 
Click on one of the little right-pointing arrows next to the language folder you want to read.  From the expanded list, click on the feed you want.  The right hand side of the window will populate with a set of choices.  If you want to download and read the feed, choose "Download Now".  The feed will start to download to Calibre. 
To exit, hit Save.  If you want to regularly download this feed, then check the box "schedule for download" and make your choices.  Note that Calibre must be running to do the scheduled download at the times you set.  However, if it isn't running, when you start Calibre, it will begin downloading your scheduled feeds after a couple minutes of starting up.  Any scheduled feeds show up in the green "Scheduled" folder.  You can select various feeds one after the other and Calibre will download them together.
While downloading, you will see a rotating icon in the extreme bottom right corner of Calibre to the right of "Jobs:". If you click on that, a window will open to show you the details of the activity.
Once the job is done, the downloaded feed appears in your library. Highlight it and click the "View" icon at the top.  A window will open and you will be able to read your news.
To download this to your nook, have calibre running.  Then connect your nook to the computer.  After a few seconds, Calibre wil detect the nook and additional icons will appear at the top and arrows will appear in your library showing what books in your library are on the nook.  You can either manually load them, or wait and Calibre will automatically load the new books to your nook.
When all done, "Eject" the nook using the drop down choice after hitting the nook icon at the top.  When done, disconnect the nook and close Calibre.  Select "check for new content" on your nook and start reading!

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads
0 Kudos

Fabulous!  This is just what I was looking for.  Many thanks!

AllenR
0 Kudos

DonnaReads wrote:

Fabulous!  This is just what I was looking for.  Many thanks!

You're welcome - enjoy your nook!

New User
msmith89
0 Kudos

Ok....I'm going to sound totally retarded but I JUST bought my nook (literally...2 and 1/2 hrs ago). What is Calibre? The lady at B&N told me to go there but didn't explain it. Is it a place to get textbooks? Or just manage your downloads?

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

msmith89 wrote:

Ok....I'm going to sound totally retarded but I JUST bought my nook (literally...2 and 1/2 hrs ago). What is Calibre? The lady at B&N told me to go there but didn't explain it. Is it a place to get textbooks? Or just manage your downloads?

Calibre is a program that is used to manage your non-DRM ebooks. It is excellent for converting ebooks from one format to another, and fixing/updating the meta-data for the ebook.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

You can download it from that URL

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Frequent Contributor
nook_rook
0 Kudos

Is Calibre better than Adobe Digital Editions for converting .pdf files to be more readable friendly in the nook?  I tried ADE and did not have much success, the font and lines were still out of sync.  I haven't tried Calibre yet.

Thanks