Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Hummey
0 Kudos

Re: I'm worried about B&N and the Nook

I don't know how different I am, but pre-Nook, I purchased most of my books from used book stores, rarely bought one new.  So I know there was no chance of me saving money when I bought my Nook, and I really HATE spending more on a book for my Nook than I would if I went into the store, but I own a Nook for the convenience of it not for the savings.

Buying one of these for savings could be justified if you purchased only the free or really low priced books, but few want to just read those.

I love my Nook but I definitely spend more on books now than I did before I owned it.

Tony

Tony

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will take His stand on the earth" Job 19:25
Contributor
MagicMike
0 Kudos

My library has a great seleciton of eBooks, however, most have only 1 copy and the waitlist for any book gets quite long.  One  new release, I am 12th on the waitlist (most averge 5-7), and each person has the book checked out for  2-3 weeks (you can not return a book sooner), so a wait of 6-9 months for a particular book.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

MagicMike wrote:

My library has a great seleciton of eBooks, however, most have only 1 copy and the waitlist for any book gets quite long.  One  new release, I am 12th on the waitlist (most averge 5-7), and each person has the book checked out for  2-3 weeks (you can not return a book sooner), so a wait of 6-9 months for a particular book.

Sure you can, you return it through the ADE program not the libraries web site.

Inspired Contributor
book_werm
0 Kudos

MagicMike wrote:

This is definitely a misconception I wish we did more to debunk!  As FrogAlum mentioned, you can return a book sooner.  All you have to do is:

1) Launch the Adobe Digital Editions application

2) Locate the book you want to return

3) click the right arrow to the left of the book

4) Select 'Return Borrowed Item'

5) When prompted, confirm you want to return the item

And voila!  Your copy is automatically expired, and someone else can enjoy the book.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

EffieTX wrote:

Its funny, as much as I like my Nook, I usually am talking people OUT of buying one.. or a Kindle either for that matter.  I tell them the whole pricing thing on ebooks and usually people will decide they don't want to spend $200 on a reader so they can spend more to buy an ebook then the same book as a DTB. 

Linda

I tell people that e-readers will not really take off with the general public until they get in the sub $100 range.

BUT - The only time I have seen ebooks at a higher price than a DTB is when there has been a simple mistake that was corrected with in hours of posting to the B&N web site.  I find ebooks are on average about 20% than the DTB (still too high in my opinion - but talk to the publishers, not the retailers about that one)

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

MagicMike wrote:

Audio books can not be returned early. However Ebooks can. Many people return the books through ADE immediately after they load it to their Nook. The book will continue to be readable on the Nook until the initial return date and THEN it will expire on your Nook. I'm not sure though if the ebook will expire earlier if you hook your Nook back up to the computer and ADE after it's been returned.

THis helps speed up the process a LOT if you can return your books earlier. I've been 6th on a waiting list and recieved notice the next week that it was available so I'm going to assume that others are doing this as well.

pamela.  

Contributor
ebooker
0 Kudos

The reason B&N may fail with the Nook is exactly the reason many of you bought it, because you can get books so many other places than B&N.  The reading device is a one-time purchase and they make some money off it, but the investment they put in to designing and manufacturing and servicing more than takes that profit away.  The real profit in selling an ereader for a bookstore is to sell books. 
Read back through your posts.  Most of you don't buy any or very few books from B&N.  It's a recipe for disaster.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

ebooker wrote:

The reason B&N may fail with the Nook is exactly the reason many of you bought it, because you can get books so many other places than B&N.  The reading device is a one-time purchase and they make some money off it, but the investment they put in to designing and manufacturing and servicing more than takes that profit away.  The real profit in selling an ereader for a bookstore is to sell books. 
Read back through your posts.  Most of you don't buy any or very few books from B&N.  It's a recipe for disaster.

Though this is true we are a small percentage of NOOK owners.  Most owners do not even know about these boards, or agency pricing, or the fact you can borrow books from the library or download from other sources.  Most individuals with a NOOK (my girlfriends mom included) only buy from B&N regardless of the price as they don't know much better (IMOP)

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That's an excellent point, ebooker. An article I read recently indicated both the Nook and Kindle are at or near the break even point of purchase cost versus the cost of components. If there are a lot of people not purchasing content after the sale, it's not a good harbinger for the future. I do like purchasing content...I like having new books available in my "to be read" area and I prefer keeping the ones I like.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

ebooker wrote:

Actually, not true. I NEVER bought books from B & N before. Now I do, though they may be the books under $5.00. My $100 a year or so I spend at B & N now is $100 more a year of my money that was/is spent there before I bought the Nook.  Multiple me by all the others like me, and that's still a good more regular customers than they had before the Nook. Volume can make up for price per unit. How do you think WalMart does it?

pamela

pamela

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

ebooker wrote:

Most of you don't buy any or very few books from B&N.  It's a recipe for disaster.

I don't buy the generalization.  True, some of the more prominent posters here obtain most of their books from other sources, but, as JdiennoPSU pointed out earlier, most Nook buyers don't know about these Boards (you practically need a map to find them, for one thing!) and buy their books almost exclusively from B&N.

As for my Nook, 2/3 of the books on it are from B&N, 1/3 are from other sources; I expect that proportion to remain about the same indefinitely.  Since I got my Nook, I've been buying or getting free about 30 books a month.  Now, a book-a-day habit is clearly unsustainable and it's already starting to slow down, but the point is that B&N has sold me plenty of content, and will continue to do so as long as their prices are reasonable.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

ebooker wrote:

IF we did not buy the more expensive books BEFORE buying the Nook, having one is not going to change our reading and buying patterns THAT much.

One of the reason many of us have to be so cost conscious is because that's just how much we read. I read an average of two books a week. I am a fairly fast reader. If I paid even $10 a book, that's $80 a month and over $1000 a year. That's more than my phone or water bill. I could have gone to see a couple of movies or gone dancing once a month. I STILL want to do those things, but my budget for entertainment isn't unlimited. In fact, that's more than I spend a year on CLOTHING. I have to pick and choose where I spend it and in today's economy, most of us are in that spot. I spent $259 on my Nook, so I'm not unwilling to spend money on what I read. I do however realize that if I'm going to feed my reading habit, I HAVE to find a supply of cheap or free books to augment what I can afford to buy.

I do buy books and always have. However, those dollars are generally spent at B&N now instead of elsewhere whether it's a budget ebook or not. Lower price ebooks are not unprofitable. THey've been out long enough that the original cost to produce those books has been recouped already. To continue to be competitive with newer releases, the price comes down, but the profit is still there because there is less or no need to cover those initial production and distribution costs anymore.

PROFIT MARGIN per unit is much more important than the PRICE. And believe me, there is still a profit margin for those budget ebooks.

pamela

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

Actually, not true. I NEVER bought books from B & N before. Now I do, though they may be the books under $5.00. My $100 a year or so I spend at B & N now is $100 more a year of my money that was/is spent there before I bought the Nook.  Multiple me by all the others like me, and that's still a good more regular customers than they had before the Nook. Volume can make up for price per unit. How do you think WalMart does it?

pamela

pamela

As I said in an earlier post I never purchased books at B&N before purchasing the Nook.  I bought most of my books at Borders because, quite honestly, they had much better coupon offers on DTB's.  Now I buy quite a few e-books at B&N but I still purchase from other places as well.  Just like with DTB's I buy from whoever has the best price.  If it's the same price everywhere then I purchase from B&N.  If not, well, quite honestly I have no brand loyalty when it comes to my wallet if the quality of the product is the same everywhere.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
wookietim
0 Kudos

You know, I see those articles too... But I have noticed more nooks in people's hands than either iPads or Kindles, so I have to question that correctness of those reports. Everybody I have talked to, when deciding between the nook and the Kindle seem to go with the nook...

If B&N would open the nook up just a bit to developers (It runs Android after all) they would see an avalanche of apps. and that would definitely lend it an air of "Hot" to the device. Even as it is it seems to blow the Kindle out of the water...

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

As I said in an earlier post I never purchased books at B&N before purchasing the Nook.  I bought most of my books at Borders because, quite honestly, they had much better coupon offers on DTB's.  Now I buy quite a few e-books at B&N but I still purchase from other places as well.  Just like with DTB's I buy from whoever has the best price.  If it's the same price everywhere then I purchase from B&N.  If not, well, quite honestly I have no brand loyalty when it comes to my wallet if the quality of the product is the same everywhere.

That's pretty much me as well. I don't care where I get it, as long as it's good and the price is right and it doesn't cost me to go get it or have it delivered.

I never purchased from B&N before because the store was just too far away and then there was the shipping cost if I ordered from them. I bought most of my books at Wal-mart because it is the ONLY source of books within 20 miles other than the library which is only 1 mile closer. I also bought from Amazon because I didn't pay sales tax there and usually I got shipping free with my purchase so it just cost less. Most of my books came from used booked stores when I was in the area and the library. I didn't buy ebooks until I bought my nook

Now though with my Nook, I don't have to travel to buy books nor do I have to pay shipping costs to get them. I can shop much more effectively for my reading material and without shipping costs or gas to figure into the cost, I can afford to read and purchase the same amount of books I did before at a significant savings no matter what I spend on the ebook itself. Even library books are cheaper for me because I don't have to physically travel to the library anymore. Living in the sticks in Texas means: leaving the house= gas=$$$

My hubby taught me that you pick and choose where you spend your money. Do you want to build that beautiful 2500 sq ft custom home with an acre of landscaping like we've been designing and planning for years? Then you need to be willing to do most of the work yourself and if you don't know how, you learn how because we couldn't afford much on our budget otherwise. (We are both in our 50's and don't want to spend our retirement worrying about a house payment so the house has to be paid off before then.) When you go shopping, decide...do you REALLY want to spend that money on a new pair of shoes (hey, the old ones can last another few months if you can just remember to not PAINT while you wear them!) or do you want to put it towards that stone you've been lusting after for the patio? Okay, we can't afford to eat out this month because we want to buy enough shrubs for the front fence line.

But a reading habit is a reading habit and not something I can just do without. THere's been many a time when I really had to think..."Do I really want to splurge on that more expensive wood trim or do I NEED that book?" ANd since our budget was so tight, yep, it was a consideration and it wasn't an easy one to make because I really NEED to read! I also REALLY REALLY wanted that Nook so I chose a DIY Concrete stain for the floors (saving 85% of what the floors would have cost otherwise if you don't factor in the cost to the ER when hubby ran over my foot with the floor buffer) that actually looks quite beautiful. 

I think there are lots of people like me out there. We HAVE to read and if we paid full price for every book we read, we'd all be barefoot, living in a shack somewhere and driving a $200 beater that MAYBE started every morning or not. Because we have to find cheaper sources to supply our habit doesn't mean we never spend money on that habit. I imagine our dollars add up as quickly as the casual reader who only buys a few books a year at full price but our dollars used to be spent elsewhere.

I do sincerely believe that a customer who has to budget carefully for their reading material is still a customer who spends money on it when they can afford to do so. The Nook places B&N at an advantage for those customer dollars through the sheer convenience of being able to purchase from them. I just don't see how that can be detrimental.

pamela

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

I think the "regulars" on this board who download from a variety of sources are, perhaps, more tech savvy than the average consumer, and are not representative of most nook owners.

I know several people who have nooks, and even after my prodding, I am the only one who gets books from alternate sources to B&N (and I still buy books from B&N from time to time).  Those friends are all about the "convenience" of buying directly from the device and don't think it's worth their time to learn how to sideload, etc.  I suspect that the majority of nook owners behave in the same way.  

(in fact, one friend traded in a nook for an iPad, and didn't even know she could get the B&N app on the iPad to continue reading the books she bought from B&N until I told her!!).  

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

I do sincerely believe that a customer who has to budget carefully for their reading material is still a customer who spends money on it when they can afford to do so. The Nook places B&N at an advantage for those customer dollars through the sheer convenience of being able to purchase from them. I just don't see how that can be detrimental.

pamela

Hey I'm also in my 50's!  :smileysurprised:

We actually live in an area where there are both a B&N and a Borders within 10 minutes of us. Quite honesty, if the deciding factor for me was just the convenience of purchasing an e-book wirelessly I would have gone with the Kindle.  Budget considerations force me to think about borrowing library books (which I did quite a bit of before purchasing the Nook anyway).  Kindle lost that battle hands down.  So...I bought a Nook and am extremely happy with it.  

Am I also purchasing more books at B&N?  Absolutely!  But B&N purchases are still only a percentage of the books that end up on my Nook.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

very-simple wrote:

I think the "regulars" on this board who download from a variety of sources are, perhaps, more tech savvy than the average consumer, and are not representative of most nook owners.

I know several people who have nooks, and even after my prodding, I am the only one who gets books from alternate sources to B&N (and I still buy books from B&N from time to time).  Those friends are all about the "convenience" of buying directly from the device and don't think it's worth their time to learn how to sideload, etc.  I suspect that the majority of nook owners behave in the same way.  

(in fact, one friend traded in a nook for an iPad, and didn't even know she could get the B&N app on the iPad to continue reading the books she bought from B&N until I told her!!).  

I agree with you. I know lots of people like that too. They just don't have the time or the interest so convenience is always a big plus.

If I wasn't tech savvy enough to know how to search out cheaper reading material, I'd still know I was saving money with my Nook.

Gas, shipping, time...it all costs and the convenience of B&N saves $$$. Before I found the library system, I was buying more ebooks than I am now, but I was willing to do that because the cost of getting them into my hands was gone so I could actually afford more books than before my Nook. Though I was also reading a LOT More of the free classics then because I couldn't afford to buy EVERY book I read.

Now my freebie reads come from the library instead of the freebie section at B&N so I don't have to spend as much time drooling over books I can't afford to buy! LOL!

pamela

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Hey I'm also in my 50's!  :smileysurprised:

We actually live in an area where there are both a B&N and a Borders within 10 minutes of us. Quite honesty, if the deciding factor for me was just the convenience of purchasing an e-book wirelessly I would have gone with the Kindle.  Budget considerations force me to think about borrowing library books (which I did quite a bit of before purchasing the Nook anyway).  Kindle lost that battle hands down.  So...I bought a Nook and am extremely happy with it.  

Am I also purchasing more books at B&N?  Absolutely!  But B&N purchases are still only a percentage of the books that end up on my Nook.

THey say we get better with age but now that we are working on the house so much, I do long for a younger body that didn't hurt so bad in the morning when I moan myself to my feet and then to the coffee pot for the wakeup fix. :smileyhappy: Oh...and for the days I would have gladly worked for a tan while I was out there instead of having to cover up in the heat to help keep the wrinkles from winning!

I agree...Though I mentioned the Nook, I was actually talking in about ereaders in general and the cost (other than the book or ebook itself) of ordering or going to physically get a book vs of the cost of zip to have an ebook delivered to my Nook or computer. THe fact that I own a Nook, makes B&N the benefactor of my book choices now. If I owned a Kindle, it would be Amazon.

I too chose the Nook over the Kindle because of the Library factor. It just took me awhile to find a library and learn how to use it.

But whether I get most of my reading material free or I buy from B&N, they are still getting more dollars from me than ever before and I am still spending less on books than I ever did before so it's a good deal for both of us. :smileyhappy:

pamela

Frequent Contributor
juneau
0 Kudos

Since purchasing my Nook about a month ago, I have spent much more money at B&N than my normal practice. I bought the Nook itself, a colored back, a matching light, an extra power cord, matte screen protectors, and a case. That's a significant chunk of my overall spending.

Of course, I have also bought ebooks. Three of them, all under $8. In recent years, I haven't been much of a book-buyer. Especially for new books, as we have a large and very well-stocked used book store nearby. I also hadn't been reading books as much as I used to - too much time spent on the internets, not enough time in the day for everything I want to do, etc. Since I got my Nook, I've read 2 1/2 ebooks...probably a post-college record for me.

Most of the ebooks on my Nook at the moment were freebies. I like freebies. I've got ebooks in French and Spanish, as well, so I can practice using languages that are as dusty to me as my poor underused bookshelf. I've also got ebook copies of many of my favorite classics. I started reading them when I was about 7, and I've gone back to them ever since (since I live in a small space, I'm looking forward to dumping off my paper copies at the used bookstore and having less clutter - all without losing the content, thanks to Nook).

The forums have been very helpful in pointing out sources for inexpensive/free ebooks, and I have made good use of them. That said, I much prefer getting my ebooks from B&N because the Nook makes shopping for them, loading them on the unit, and reading them much easier than the ebooks from alternative sources. In that respect, I don't think B&N has too much to worry about; it's a feature often mentioned in complaints from other folks.