Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: I think I want to trade my Nook for a Kindle

jrusch wrote:

This is what I learned (and why I'm going to keep the Nook):

Thanks for the update.  As I said in a previous post, I don't think you can make a bad decision between Nook and Kindle once you determine which has the features that are more important to you.  The Nook, as a new device, has growing pains just as I'm sure the first Kindle release did.

Of course, your "biggest reason" for keeping the Nook is probably the most important. :smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Even though my wife will have to make do with her Kindle for a while longer, I think you made a good choice. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I just recently purchased a Nook for my birthday. I was inquisitive and had done research on it. The big thing for me that pulled me to the Nook was the fact that Nook's ebook are cheaper than Kindle. It does have more free books on it if you do search in categories that you like along with the free ebooks section. I don't like the battery life on the Nook as the Kindle wins out there. You see, I have a Kindle also. I'm trying to read all that is on the Kindle instead of buying it all again for the Nook. I like the Nook; I find myself picking it up to read more than the Kindle but I don't want to give up on the Kindle just yet.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

The fact that you can't just move books from the Kindle to the Nook is the primary reason I purchased the Nook.  I just really don't like proprietary formats and fight them every chance I get.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Not to get back off track here, and in spite of the fact I have had one of the biggest mouths here in what seems to be defense of the nook, I want to explains something.

Many times a message is posted such as the OP's which ends up being just a thread to irritate happy nook owners.  It also tends to be a magnet for those who seemingly wish to sell kindles.  I personally have no vested interest in what one eventually buys, even though I love my nook.  My reasons for choosing it are easily seen in how it differs from the kindle.  Congratulations to all happy kindle owners.  Sincerely.

I have no doubt of the OP's sincerity here and just wish to offer this point.  Neither device, kindle or nook, is complete in its offering.  You must decide what items are expendible and what are not.  Did I sacrifice some things in getting a nook?  Probably, but they don't matter now.  If I had a kindle I might in my heart of hearts say the same thing.  BN is relatively new to all of this and so has some content catch up to play, but I never lack books to read.  There are also other sources for ebooks: Fictionwise as one example, and sideloading is easy.  Also, any content that you purchase from BN, that for any reason you have trouble downloading to the nook directly, can be sideloaded by first going to your account online and downloading to your computer.

The other thing is it is important for people who have had no problems with their nooks and those who have to post their experiences here.  Many times those who have had no trouble can better explain a simple solution.  The main thing to remember when buying anything is that oftentimes a satisfied customer will tell no one, but a dissatisfied one will tell everyone.  And, this board is listed under the nook as a help board, so by its very nature more unhappy customers tend to gravitate to it.  This doesn't mean there are more broken nooks than good ones and often what appear to be difficult problems can have very easy answers.

I use my nook even more than I thought I would and have had only minor issues, one being a book that wouldn't finish formatting, but didn't freeze my nook.  I also found an easy solution for that and have tried to help others who made some mistakes by not reading the user guide.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

The fact that you can't just move books from the Kindle to the Nook is the primary reason I purchased the Nook.  I just really don't like proprietary formats and fight them every chance I get.

I think this is a moot point.  You can't move books from the nook to the Kindle either.  Apple will also have proprietary DRM.  The only device you will be able to read your B&N ebooks on is their own software or products at this time. 

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

I just recently purchased a Nook for my birthday. I was inquisitive and had done research on it. The big thing for me that pulled me to the Nook was the fact that Nook's ebook are cheaper than Kindle. It does have more free books on it if you do search in categories that you like along with the free ebooks section. I don't like the battery life on the Nook as the Kindle wins out there. You see, I have a Kindle also. I'm trying to read all that is on the Kindle instead of buying it all again for the Nook. I like the Nook; I find myself picking it up to read more than the Kindle but I don't want to give up on the Kindle just yet.

I actually had to laugh at this one.  Overall since nook has been launched, Amazon has held the lowest pricing for the bulk of popular books.  To be fair, B&N has matched them several times but there have also been several times that they raised the pricing well above that of Amazon.  In addition, Amazon has far more books available in their own store than the nook.  Just look at the thread on books people want for the nook.  It is very common to see the postings with the notation that they are already available for Kindle.  All of that said, B&N is adding books and seems to be lowering prices but only time will tell.  Amazon has already proven it has no problem taking a loss on ebooks whereas B&N appears to have a harder time with this.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

You can't move books from the nook to the Kindle either. 

Kinda missing the point here.

You can buy AMZ format books for your Kindle at Amazon and Fictionwise (in MOBI format, which is AMZ).

You can buy books for the nook at B&N, eReader, Fictionwise, Kobo, Baen, Sony, Powells and others.

Alley415 wrote:

Amazon has already proven it has no problem taking a loss on ebooks whereas B&N appears to have a harder time with this.

This may be a short term advantage to the consumer, but in the long run anti-competitive pricing is bad for both business and the consumer.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

eDigest wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

You can't move books from the nook to the Kindle either. 

Kinda missing the point here.

You can buy AMZ format books for your Kindle at Amazon and Fictionwise (in MOBI format, which is AMZ).

You can buy books for the nook at B&N, eReader, Fictionwise, Kobo, Baen, Sony, Powells and others.

Kindle also has access to Baen, Gutenburg, WPL, etc.  Ultimately (and this applies to nook as well) the sources will not matter if the company already has the lowest price and availability of the books you want.  For example, many of the books mentioned here that people by from sources other than B&N are ones that B&N does not carry or that the price is too high.  Most often, these same titiles are already available and cheapest at Amazon.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

The difference in pricing and availability are rapidly diminishing and, I suspect, will invert at some point considering the wider variety of sources for ePUB books.  But there is one other thing to consider:

When you buy an ePUB for your nook, whether on B&N or one of the many other ePUB stores, you can read that ebook on every ePUB platform you have -- PC, iPod, iPad, etc, at the same time. 

I read in the Amazon user forums about Amazon DRM as I was researching options about replacing my wife's Kindle,

"the DRM ... is restricting you to just one device. So even if you have a PC program capable of reading Amazon eBooks, you will still need Amazon to provide you with another copy of the eBook. This is what happens when you buy a new Kindle. The old files that you may have saved on a computer can't be read by the new Kindle. You must download new copies."

My wife's investment in Amazon books is basically obsolete without a Kindle.  But with my ePUB books, they're good for any future reader we choose to get.  Just as my "old" Palm ebooks work seamlessly on my nook.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, thats all I have to say about that.  If you would like to continue this discussion, lets take it to the Kindle Discussion board.  :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

eDigest wrote:

The difference in pricing and availability are rapidly diminishing and, I suspect, will invert at some point considering the wider variety of sources for ePUB books.  But there is one other thing to consider:

When you buy an ePUB for your nook, whether on B&N or one of the many other ePUB stores, you can read that ebook on every ePUB platform you have -- PC, iPod, iPad, etc, at the same time. 

I read in the Amazon user forums about Amazon DRM as I was researching options about replacing my wife's Kindle,

"the DRM ... is restricting you to just one device. So even if you have a PC program capable of reading Amazon eBooks, you will still need Amazon to provide you with another copy of the eBook. This is what happens when you buy a new Kindle. The old files that you may have saved on a computer can't be read by the new Kindle. You must download new copies."

My wife's investment in Amazon books is basically obsolete without a Kindle.  But with my ePUB books, they're good for any future reader we choose to get.  Just as my "old" Palm ebooks work seamlessly on my nook.

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, thats all I have to say about that.  If you would like to continue this discussion, lets take it to the Kindle Discussion board.  :smileytongue:

This info on Amazon is absolutley incorrect.  I have books that are currently being read on all 4 of our Kindles as well as my iPhone at the same time.  In addiiton, I have upgraded Kindles and transfered my purchased ebooks without a problem.  I am able to read a book on my Kindle and then later pick it up on my iPhone and start off in the exact place I left off. 

Correspondent
thegogglestheydonothing
0 Kudos

Alley, I personally could care less that Amazon charges $2 less for a book when they're roping me into using a kindle and only a kindle as an ereader. What I like about the nook is there is some freedom of choice involved. I can purchase non-proprietary books and still read them with no problem, and if in the future I choose a different ereader I can take my books with me. 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

The e-reader platform is still evolving.  To lock yourself into a proprietary format like the Kindle does at this time seems absurd to me.  There will be new devices coming in the future.  I certainly don't expect the Nook to be my last book reader.  It wouldn't be realistic.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

thegogglestheydonothing wrote:

Alley, I personally could care less that Amazon charges $2 less for a book when they're roping me into using a kindle and only a kindle as an ereader. What I like about the nook is there is some freedom of choice involved. I can purchase non-proprietary books and still read them with no problem, and if in the future I choose a different ereader I can take my books with me. 

And you could purchase nonproprietary books for the Kindle as well.  You can purchase Kindle books from places other than Amazon.  In addition, only your B&N epub ebooks can be read on other devices that use ADE.  If they are pdb you are out of luck.  Same with epub if the other device does not support the ADE.  For example, ibooks will be in epub but will not supprot ADE.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

I really am glad that B&N has lowered their pricing. I still think their prices are better than Amazon's. Sure, you can buy books for $9.99 on Amazon but you go back onto the site and the ebook has increased in price. I think all this price gouging will settle itself once enough people complain about it. Yes, I may still have a Kindle and do like it but only buy free books on the website. The Nook has more free books but you have to search for them other than hitting the free ebook topic. It really depends on what each individual wants out of his or her ebook. One has to compare shopping for an ebook the same as you would a major appliance. Go with what you want, not with what everyone else has.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Correspondent
thegogglestheydonothing

[ Edited ]

Alley415 wrote:

thegogglestheydonothing wrote:

And you could purchase nonproprietary books for the Kindle as well.  You can purchase Kindle books from places other than Amazon.  In addition, only your B&N epub ebooks can be read on other devices that use ADE.  If they are pdb you are out of luck.  Same with epub if the other device does not support the ADE.  For example, ibooks will be in epub but will not supprot ADE.

What non-proprietary books? Are you talking about purchasing non-DRM books and then converting them to PDF?  You've lost me here.

And, yes, there is no guarantee a specific device will support ADE, but with kindle you have no options at all to read those books on another ereader.

But good job blindly supporting Apple and Amazon. It really amazes me the time you spend telling us repeatedly how fantastic kindle and Apple are.

Frequent Contributor
Danuke
0 Kudos

BNDavid,

I don't know a thing about this phone stuff, however, is the iPhone going to be supported?

thanks,

For naught doth kill a man so soon as death!
Frequent Contributor
Danuke
0 Kudos

Well, SlaughterS, is stay out of bars, and in particular a  "team" sports bar, even if you are right.

Besides, ain't noting been worth a hoot in Houston since Bum was fired anyway; well I sorta did like going to watch the Gamblers play. 

I would like to think that the folks here are somewhat above the sports bar mentality.

For naught doth kill a man so soon as death!
New User
chloe11
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I liked the nooks features. The expandable memory was a big seller for me. Unfortunately I am on my 3rd in 4 months! The first froze and couldn't be restarted. The second got a virus. BN help support tried to remove their update and re-install it. Then that one froze. So now I am seriously considering selling the new replacement to get a Kindle. Don't get me wrong I am not a hater. I love the nook, but what good is it if it is constantly breaking? Anyone else ever had this problem?

Frequent Contributor
EagleEyez
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I've heard that, if you softroot your nook, you can not only get your rss feeds directly on your nook over wifi, but also transfer books from your PC running caliber server.

I've been sitting on the fence of softroot for a while now. Making sure my buttons dont crack before voiding my warranty.

[edit: oops. The comment sounds out of context. Was trying to reply to earlier comment regarding getting rss feeds in caliber and then transfer to nook]